Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 PM

Default pro tools making virtual instruments off key and down tuning them. weird. help?

Hey

I've been having weird issues with pro tools lately. Pro tools 7.4 mpowered on a mac.

Lately when I insert a virtual instrument such as trilogy or virtual guitars 2 and some string plugins for some reason they start to downtune themselves or completely go out of key. I literally don't touch anything. Has anyone come across this before and would anyone be able to suggest something?

Thanks a lot
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Avid

Default Re: pro tools making virtual instruments off key and down tuning them. weird. help?

Having a bit more info on your system would help - which OS version, which Mac model, etc.

Have you tried trashing preferences?

Did anything change on your system between when this was working and when it stopped? Can you give us a detailed explanation of your sessions that exhibit this problem - what type of tracks, which plug-ins, etc?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Re: pro tools making virtual instruments off key and down tuning them. weird. help?

had this happen on my HD 1, 7.3.1 system as well. Had an entire trilogy bass track layout for months. One day I opened the session and it was detuned some where between 1/4 and a 1/3 step. No pitch bend issues, nothing but notes and velocity... Tried zeroing inserts and reinitializing trilogy but it followed the midi track. had to delete the entire thing and start over... clients love that!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 PM

I am experiencing the same issue with my Virtual instruments in Pro Tools 8. I have a Mac Pro w/ 10 GB of RAM running 10.5.6. Where is the preference file for Pro tools? I can't find any controls to tune the piano or other instruments to their proper pitch.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:35 PM

The problem seems to be in the wordclock sync between the Project's session data which can't be changed after initializing. So if you record audio using external clock speed of 48 and try to revert back to the internal Pro Tools system clock of 44.1, the notes on your virtual will lose approximately a 10% pitch. 440*44.1/48=404 or 440*48/44.1=479. So anytime you switch from the sample rate you set up your session for a given project, it will either bend the pitch of all virtual instruments up/down accordingly. I don't know if this is published anywhere, but it needs to be.