Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Default 5.1 encoded to stereo audio track - export dts?

I'm hoping someone can answer this real quick for me, can't find much searching... I used SRS Circle Surround encoder and printed a 5.1 concert through it to a stereo audio track. I then cut the contents of the audio track into the individual songs and exported each region. I don't know how pro tools handles the dts information on the stereo track (or if it even know it is there) so my question is: will these files playback in 5.1 once burned to a dvd and played with a proper decoder? Or, should I have done a bounce to disc to get the dts info out of pro tools? Thanks!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:35 AM

Default Re: 5.1 encoded to stereo audio track - export dts?

You do realise SRS Surround Circle isn't DTS, don't you?

Pro Tools will not accept Dolby Digital or DTS encoded audio. Each track for of the final 5.1 mix has to be exported separately as a discreet track. Dolby Surround/Pro Logic, DTS NEO6 and SRS are matrix systems, where by the surround information is encoded in the stereo track and later decoded back to LCRS or 5.1.

DTS (the digital variety) and Dolby Digital keep each surround track independent and heavily compressed, which leads to a better 5.1 sound track, but it can't be played on normal stereo equipment.

If you have matrixed 5.1 audio into stereo using SRS surround circle and then edited it in Pro Tools, the encoding will still be there when put through a decoder, as long as you've not done anything to mess about with the phase, as the matrix uses phase differences to know where to place sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookSix View Post
I'm hoping someone can answer this real quick for me, can't find much searching... I used SRS Circle Surround encoder and printed a 5.1 concert through it to a stereo audio track. I then cut the contents of the audio track into the individual songs and exported each region. I don't know how pro tools handles the dts information on the stereo track (or if it even know it is there) so my question is: will these files playback in 5.1 once burned to a dvd and played with a proper decoder? Or, should I have done a bounce to disc to get the dts info out of pro tools? Thanks!