Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Sound Reinforcement

I currently own a Bose rig (4x802, 2x502, and QSC PLX Series amps), but I need a great deal more output for the venues I am starting to work. I am looking to purchase line arrays, subs, amps, and rigging to fill venues that seat 3-5 thousand but on a medium to low budget. However, the system should work well with my Profile/Mixrack system. I was at South By Southwest this weekend and saw a system with a really good sound and Onyx (or something similar) written on it, but I don't who makes it. Can anyone provide me a good combination of line arrays, subs, amps, and rigging?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Sound Reinforcement

Lots of good performing line arrays are out there. So far, about the only one I didn't like was the EAW 760. Even the new Turbo rig is decent. What I've used and liked includes D&B(both Q and J)(my fave), EV XLC, JBL 4888, Nexo and all the L'Acoustics systems(my second choice). Turbo sounded good at the demo. QSC Wideline(the dual 10 model) is also really good, but the horizontal coverage is 140 degrees, so keep that in mind(most others are 90-110 degrees). And someone will scoff at this, but the Peavey Versarray works quite well, but the single 12" version doesn't take massive volume abuse as well as most others(the ribbons are a bit fragile). Having said that, I spent a summer tour with Tim McGraw using the Versarray rig outside for 1000-1500 people and after 2 weeks of 6tops and 3 2x18 subs per side, I actually cut it back to 4 tops and 2 subs per side so I didn't throw too far into residential areas near the sheds. Paul Overstreet wrote a review of that in one of the trades(end of summmer 2008).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 PM

I'm not sure if they qualify as being mid to low budget systems but don't forget to check smaller Martin Audio and Meyer Sound array systems, Meyer is active so it might be a bit faster to get it up and running in many cases compared to systems needing amp racks and lots of heavy cabling plus you have more control over the system as the boxes can be networked together. Considering all the AVnu stuff, I'll eat my hat if we cannot control some of the future PA systems directly from next generation Venue desks
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
I'm not sure if they qualify as being mid to low budget systems but don't forget to check smaller Martin Audio and Meyer Sound array systems, Meyer is active so it might be a bit faster to get it up and running in many cases compared to systems needing amp racks and lots of heavy cabling plus you have more control over the system as the boxes can be networked together. Considering all the AVnu stuff, I'll eat my hat if we cannot control some of the future PA systems directly from next generation Venue desks
I would agree that those 2 brands are top notch(they just didn't pop into my head while I was typing my first reply), but neither is cheap. It does raise a good question that the OP will need to consider. Do you want your speakers self-powered or not? That choice could rule out some of the options and either way is valid.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 PM

At this point, all options are open. Being able to fill venues like a large super market building converted to a concert hall, gyms, aircraft hangers, and outdoor theaters is the goal. My Bose rig has not been getting it done.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM

can you email me at [email protected] I think I know a great product that was used a SXSW...
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM

I recommend building a relationship with local sound companies and hiring them to provide "stacks and racks" for your events so that you can hear and see differences not only among equipment but also on the packaging, rigging, etc. If you are looking for lower budget big systems, probably the best bang for the buck is buying used gear from local sound companies, so you can audition potential systems at your actual events.

That said, as a touring sound engineer I get to try lots of gear. With most professional systems I can get great results, but with the better systems it is easier (sometimes MUCH easier).

My favorite line arrays, for being able to get amazing sound right out of the box (in order of my preference):
D&B J rig; the new Martin line arrays; L'Acoustic K1 (the new V-dosc); Meyer Milo; JBL Vertec (must have version 4 software); ISP; Adamson; Electrovoice; Outline.

If I was trying to put together a medium sized system now on a lower budget, I would try to find lots of used L'Acoustics dv-dosc or JBL Vertec 4888. About 10 or more of those on a side would rock most venues for the upper lows, mids and highs, then you need a powerful subwoofer system.

Good luck. Feel free to email me if you have questions. I suppose this thread is not exactly Avid focussed. [email protected]
Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

One of my favorite PA's to mix on is a Meyer M'elodie over Meyer 700HP Subs. We have 16 M'elodies and they are very versitle...from outdoor gigs, to aircraft hangers and also a large concert hall. I also love the fact they are active; it really makes setup time a lot quicker and less troublesome.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Do any of you have any thoughts on the KLA series from QSC?