Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Eleven Rack direct monitoring always on

Hey there - I've been happily using the 11 rack since 2010 with no real issues. It does the job as a basic interface and mic preamp.

Within the past month I've noticed that the unit started working differently I'm wondering if its a firmware update or compatibility bug with the new Pro tools 2018.4.

With a guitar plugged in it works as a standalone guitar fx processor - previously when Pro tools was launched it would go silent until I armed a track:
Guitar in for dry
Eleven rack Digital L for effects.

Now I'm always hearing the direct guitar input even when Pro tools is launched.
The Eleven patch is heard underneath the Pro tools track

Google searches pointed to a video with this same double tracking issue but that didn't quite resolve the problem.
I'll post my setup details below but am hoping for some wise Avid Sensei to intervene with a solution.
By the way - a thousand pardons if this has been addressed elsewhere.
regards
Gustavo de Beauville

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 10 MB
Memory: 64 GB
Boot ROM Version: MP61.0124.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18
Illumination Version: 1.4a6
Serial Number (system): F5KMR
Hardware UUID: 95D12E9A-BABD

Pro tools: 2018.4.0
Eleven rack version:1.0.1
Build: 0.5.2.2
Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Default Eleven Rack ignored ProTools

Hello,
what is going on again? The update of ProTools 2018.10 does not allow working with Eleven Rack anymore. ElevenRack simply ignored the inputs and outputs.
I just want to hear what I record and not both. Also, I can pull down the channel fader and the master fader. It stays loud.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack ignored ProTools

Goto setting dropdown in PT and choose i/o. There make sure you press default tab on all pages there and see if that helps.

Also launch PT with the N key held down and choose the Eleven rack when prompted in the popup window.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-07-2018, 09:57 AM

Unfortunately that did not help. Another interface does not show this error. Pity!!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM

A clear description of what is happening would help as would basic systems info.

“Eleven Rack ignored inputs and outputs” ... what exactly does this mean? Post screenshots if necessary.

Is the Eleven Rack selected as Playback Engine? (Don’t assume - check, especially make sure you are not accidentally using an aggregate IO device)

What are you hearing output through? Monitors connected to the Eleven Rack outputs or something else?

What exact OS and Eleven Rack driver version are you using? (System info in profiles is often out of date -is yours?)

Recent macOS releases can have issues with input not working due to microphone security requiring user approval in systems preferences.

“I just want to hear what I record and not both.” - also is not clear, both what? Are you hearing double signals while tracking? Describe clearly what is happening and what exactly you are doing. What input are you recording?

Is signal actually being recorded (will it play back? Do the meters move/waveform recorded? You may have to zoom in vertically to see it) but you are just not hearing it when tracking?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-07-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Thats is quite easy.

Mac OS 10.13.6
MacPro 2013
ElevenRack: 2.00.1 / 1.2.13
ProTools: 2018.10

Ignored is meant:

I start ProTools with an empty session - ElevenRack can still be heard with set effects

create a channel mono and a master fader
I choose in channel 1 the elevenrack GuitarInput or Eleven Rig

there is no response to volume or channel selection (GuitarInput / Eleven Rig)
Eleven Rack is always heard

Normal is when I start ProTools that ElevenRack mutes. only to hear if record or input is on.

In Playback Engine, Avid Eleven Rack is selected - not Aggregate I / O
Everything is set to standard in Setup I / O
Old 11-07-2018, 10:32 AM

It's still not perfectly clear what you are describing? If you have monitors connected to the Eleven Rack and you play guitar through the Eleven Rack and you hear output from the rack that is not controlled by the Pro Tools faders... that is just the Eleven Rack local hardware monitoring circuit that Pro Tools normally quietly disables. It has nothing to do with Pro Tools signal flow, except Pro Tools normally just magically disables it. That it is still working means you either don't have the Eleven Rack selected as Playback Engine, the driver is hung of faulty or is being upset by the microphone security settings in some strange way (that would surprise me).

An easy explanation here as well is that you let your mac sleep/suspend with the Eleven Rack connected in which case the driver will hang, it will show up in Playback Engine the MIDI and control parts may work, but audio will not get to or from Pro Tools ...that is expected behavior. You need to reboot the Mac. If you previously had done the systems optimization to avoid the mac sleeping/suspending, you may have lost them in the macOS upgrade.

If that is not it then uninstall and reinstall the latest Eleven Rack Driver, being careful you accept any security questions that appear (run the installer with no windows on your desktop that can hide pop-ups).

I head earlier misread the OS version as Mojave, but if you are on High Sierra, this won't apply: go into systems preferences > security & privacy and enable microphones for Pro Tools (Apple really means all audio inputs not actual microphones).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-07-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 AM

No way! Eleven Rack simply remains active after launching ProTools.
The recording works but right. However, the Eleven Rack is always heard with set effects. No matter which input has chosen.
I can not activate a mic anywhere. The Mac Pro has none.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryshark View Post
No way! Eleven Rack simply remains active after launching ProTools.
The recording works but right. However, the Eleven Rack is always heard with set effects. No matter which input has chosen.
I can not activate a mic anywhere. The Mac Pro has none.
No way what? You descriptions are pretty difficult to follow, I suspect a language problem -- you need to write as clearly as you can.

Did you try anything I suggested?

Reboot the Mac?

Uninstall and reinstall the latest driver?

(I explained it's not really a microphone... but if you are on High Sierra that does not apply to you).

Still stuck trash prefs and try with a new empty session (not a template).

Still stuck you may be better off attaching screen shots of playback engine, IO settings, tracks etc. Or rolling back to your last working backup.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 AM

I did everything. There was no improvement. Of course, I restarted my Mac. I do not think that's a problem with my hardware / software. It is the Eleven Rack driver or the ProTools Update. It was always like that.
Someone from the software department should check this process before we get users gray hair again. Is not our job!