Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Default Tried Everything to Get Rid of Static/Popping? Try This.

Hi there!

So, I've posted pretty extensively on the Avid forums and M-Audio forums over the last two months about a static/popping noise occurring in Pro Tools SE through the M-Audio Mobile Pre interface.

If you've tried all of the optimizations like did and nothing fixes the problem, don't go out and buy a super-strong sound card or a 1 terabyte external hard drive like I did (even though external hard drives are a MUST)... try this:

Unplug your M-Audio USB that's attached to your computer, and plug it into an external USB hub (check if there is a USB port on your monitor - there was on mine). I did that, and after MONTHS of agony and frustration over this product it fixed the problem completely. No static while recording, mixing or playback EVER. Regardless of track numbers.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Tried Everything to Get Rid of Static/Popping? Try This.

I wish my monitor had a usb port ive been having a really bad time with popping and static, it goes away if i Minimize Pro Tools SE but that helps none . ive tried just about everything I feel
Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 PM

So I got rid of my Popping/white noise a different way, I could not for the life of my for 2 days find the source of the problem so I decide to look at my USB cord, it was about 10 years old, so I decided to use the one that came with my Mk2. It said high speed on the cable where as my original one did not. It took a good amount of the popping out, It still pops every now and again but not nearly as much!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrow420 View Post
So I got rid of my Popping/white noise a different way, I could not for the life of my for 2 days find the source of the problem so I decide to look at my USB cord, it was about 10 years old, so I decided to use the one that came with my Mk2. It said high speed on the cable where as my original one did not. It took a good amount of the popping out, It still pops every now and again but not nearly as much!
This was what lead me to believe it was a USB issue. Just buy an external USB hub. They aren't expensive at all and it will get rid of your problem 100%. Well, at least it did for me.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 AM

I was hoping a usb hub would solve my problems too, but it didn't i tried it as i have a nice powered usb hub, im on a laptop by the way, it made no difference on my system, i wish it did.
Thanks for the idea anyway.
Tommy
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Aside from trying the external USB hub, are you recording to and on an external hard drive?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 AM

Absolutly, a firewire external drive.
Thanks though.
Tommy
Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 AM

In another thread on this forum "Distortion with Reason Rewire" Cherryfarmer suggests disabling the internal sound card ( on his/her laptop)...anyone tried that to see if it makes a difference?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
In another thread on this forum "Distortion with Reason Rewire" Cherryfarmer suggests disabling the internal sound card ( on his/her laptop)...anyone tried that to see if it makes a difference?
Yes. That's one of the steps I did. I bought a better sound card (the on-board ones are terrible for music creation) then disabled the on-board sound card.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 PM

I have also experienced the static noise on ProTools SE, and after many hours of testing several things, I managed to get rid of this problem.

I changed the buffer size to 512, and since them I did not have static noise problems during recording or playback. The buffer size is by default 128, and the only way to change this is by going to File/Preferences/Audio and set it to Mixing or Producing, and it will automatically be set to 512. Otherwise the latency on M-audio Properties is always set to 128 - you should open the M-AudioPre Properties to see the latency. (See my thread "White noise / latency problems")

This worked for me, but I have to bear the higher latency. I hope this will work for you. Let me know.