Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2002, 11:53 AM

Default REASON W/ MBOX

let me preface this thread by saying that i know there is info on the DUC about this, but it all seems to deal with the digi 001.

I want to sync reason with PTLE via an Mbox interface. Is this even possible???

I want them to run simultaneously....please, someone, explain this to me like I'm a three-year-old....
I am willing to buy a MIDI interface/controller like a Tascam US-428. Will this help me at all, or am I not thinking???
Old 12-27-2002, 12:11 AM

Default Re: REASON W/ MBOX

My question would be...... does the MBox have asio drivers? if so then use that for the mbox and reason. if you want em to run reason and pro tools at the same time then you must use sound manager for reason and the mbox for Pro Tools and sync em via IAC. or you could use 'Refuse' which is a plug in (i think) that is a rewire to direct connect bridge.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:07 AM

Hi Idlemind -

The procedure for using Reason with the Mbox is the same as with the 001...you can "sync" the apps together using an IAC bus, but you must use a second soundcard (like the built-in Sound Manager) for the audio output in Reason. Myself and others have posted extensively on this topic, so definitely do a search of the DUC (the PTLE/001 for mac forum, in particular)...you will even find step by step instructions for setting this up.

BTW...I own a Tascam US-428 and I use it as a controller for PT/Reason as well as a second sound card, and it works well...BUT it is not required...as mentioned you can work just fine with the Sound Manager assigned to Reason.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2002, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Burner:
Hi Idlemind -

The procedure for using Reason with the Mbox is the same as with the 001...you can "sync" the apps together using an IAC bus, but you must use a second soundcard (like the built-in Sound Manager) for the audio output in Reason.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">does this mean I dont have to buy another soundcard for my G4? just use the built software one? if I had the choice, would a second soundcard be better than the one built in?
or is this overkill?
Old 12-27-2002, 08:31 AM

Idle -

It all depends on how you want to work. For me and my setup, I like to use the Tascam US-428 (24 bit) as a second sound card because it just sounds better and cleaner than the apple sound manager (16 bit), but it doesn't serve any practical purpose because it just for monitoring...a mixer is required though because you will need to monitor two different sets of stereo outputs...you will also need a stereo 1/8" mini to RCA-male "Y" cable to route the SM output from your computers line out jack to the mixer...let me explain:

What I do is run the two applications together, in sync (using MTC over an IAC bus), while monitoring both....PTLE thru the 001 (the Mbox in your case) and Reason thru the Tascam (the SM in your case). I take both of those stereo main outs into my mixer so I can hear both programs at once. Then I either track in PTLE or sequence in Reason as I like, jumping back and forth between windows while I work...anytime I playback, I hear any audio tracks I've recorded in PTLE in sync with Reason's tracks. When the Reason tracks are tweaked to my satisfaction (usually just prior to mixdown and completion of the project), I export each uneffected Reason track as an individual audio file and then import each of them into the PTLE session. After that everything is audio inside of PTLE, so you stop running Reason and just mix/effect all the tracks together.

So you see that this method will allow you the most flexability at mixdown (importing individual tracks as opposed to a Reason stereo mixdown). Since you are monitoring both sources while you work, you don't really need to stream Reason's audio, in real time, thru PTLE...you just import the tracks at the end. As I mentioned, the one advantage to having a second sound card that is of higher quality than the SM is that it will be easier to judge the sounds you are working with and if they fit right in the track....but if budget is an issue you certainly do not need it to work...the SM is totally adequate.

Hope that helps, and do that DUC search homey! I promise it will yeild good stuff....there is more info that you need about setting up OMS correctly and configuring both programs to talk via the IAC bus.

Good Luck,
Old 12-27-2002, 01:03 PM

Burner, you tha man......

i should be running in no time...
thanks again,
C
Old 12-27-2002, 03:19 PM

Hey,
How can you guys disregard "refuse"...its really one of the cleanest workarounds with PT & Reason.guys who can afford to have a quality soundcard/breakout box will find an advantage to be able to monitor and track thru an external mixer but otherwise even with protools free, "refuse" rocks and im sure it cant be any different with LE/MBox.8 realtime stereo tracks to track and record..better than recording sound thru SM or exporting wav/aiff. you guys should try it.and for 39$ I wouldnt call it cheap, its silly...Leigh's the man.download the demo an try it.
www.refusesoftware.com. all info is available on the site.
Reason rocks..and PT always has.Them together...YUMMM...
z