How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Quicktime Server (Not Responding) 11.0.3 Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by answerstudios View Post
I've got the same happening here on my home rig running 11.3.1 and OS 10.9.5. I get errors about the video engine every so often, but I just ignore them, and the session plays again (for the most part). But I do get CPU spikes a lot that go from 2% to 100% for no apparent reason (except sometimes they coincide with a tempo change in my session).

Please help, AVID, it's pilot season!
I have unexplained CPU spikes too while PT is doing nothing...
Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 AM

Another person who seems to get these QT Server Not Responding building up in the Activity monitor. It seems to be related to another issue I get where PT mysteriously fails to finish starting properly; and these orphan processes are left after a Force Quit of Pro Tools.

I'm on 11.2.2.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:04 AM

11.3.1 here, same things, QT Server Not Responding all the time in Activity Monitor, but CPU spikes are much less since I moved all my Kontakt instances to the much more stable Vienna Ensemble Pro
Old 05-13-2015, 04:22 AM

PT 11.3.1 OSX 10.9.5

nothing but a clean install of the OS and a clean install of PT on the machine.

is there actually anybody caring about us?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 AM

I too have the the Pro Tools quicklime server in red but the Avid audio engine is not in red. I do not have smooth video playback in PT 11 and 10.10.3 either, it starts ok then it gets all glitchy and out of sync, audio continues to play without errors.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:02 AM

+1
PT 11.3.1
OSX 10.10.3
Apogee Duet

In Playback Engine setup, I have:
-Ignore errors during playback checked
-minimize additional IO Latency unchecked
-Dynamic Plug-in Processing checked
-Video Engine Enable unchecked

PT hangs for several minutes after session is loaded. (no response to input, spinning ball).
Activity Monitor shows red process (PT QT server).
Afterward, audio playback is distorted. (buffers corrupted?)

Sometimes I can adjust the HW buffer size in playback setup and the audio will playback normally. Other times I need to quit PT and restart. Rebooting PT seems to always fix the audio playback issue.

It seems that if I force quit the QT server (I don't use video in PT), that the hang time is reduced.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:55 AM

same here.. both QuickTime_OPServer (x2) and Pro Tools Quick Time Server (x1)

Pro Tools is working great and video is running in the session, no noticeable problems..
what happens? It'll be great if we'll see any explanations from Avid

regards

---------------------
ProTools 12.0.0, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
Old 08-17-2015, 01:46 PM

Has any one found a fix to this? Almost two years later, a new pro tools(pt12) and still no fix for this?? @Avid why do you not fix this ? I shouldnt have to upgrade or buy HD as a "fix" . This should be an "update" patch fix.
I have spoken with 3 pluggin manufacturers, adobe, and apple.
THIS IS YOUR ISSUE AVID PLEASE FIX THIS....seriously almost 2 years and no fix, no workarounds not one word.
This stupid bug is interrupting my work flow and its starting to piss me off.
My fix:
going into activity monitor and FQ works but this is some straight up bs.
Mavericks, yosemite, PT 11 any version this seems to happens and causes PT to crash. Whats totally weird is that it comes up a few seconds after you run PT, and within a few minutes of opening a session the process goes into red (not responding).
The worst part is that this makes my hardrive fans go into overdrive.
There is no other program that does this, and my macbook pro is stuffed and maxed out.
AVID take care of your paying customers!! Fix this 2 YO problem!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:46 PM

Hi,

I have this Pro Tools QuickTime Server (Not Responding) issue as well.
When I load a .mov file, seemingly whatever the codec (tested 2 different codecs see below), I get a black video screen and no movie playback. Frames on video track are sparse and black as well. Audio playback is fine.

My setup:
- ProTools Version 11.3.1
- iMac: 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 Go Memory (1067 Mhz DDR3)

The issue is not due to my old machine, nor to the only 8Go RAM. Guys with more recent machines and same RAM have also experienced the issue of a black video screen when importing a .mov file (see all threads from the community).

I am sure that the issue is the PT QT server not responding.

When launching PT11 the processes Pro Tools and Avid Video Engine are running fine (Listed in Activity monitor, black).

There is one (-1-) Pro Tools QuickTIme Server process running as well (before loading any QT video file).

- Loading an H.264 .mov file (seemingly not recommended for PT?) the process Pro Tools QuickTIme Server gets red and annoted "not responding" in the activity monitor window. No video playback => Black window.
- Loading an Avid DNxHD .mov file (seemingly recommended when looking to the threads) the process Pro Tools QuickTIme Server gets red and annoted "not responding" in the activity monitor window, and I got a second active QuickTIme_OPServer process appearing !!. AND No video playback => Black window.

This issue is now on the table since 2 years. Guys from Avid you did not your job ! There should have been a fixing patch !

I will not buy PT12 as fix for PT11.

- Or I get a fix,
- Or I get a refund for PT11 because the purchase contract has not been fully respected. Bought something partially not working ! A refund is a most if you are respecting your clients and are professional,
- and if none of these options work, I shoot for Logic Pro for ever (video is working on that tool). Full stop.

Claude
Old 10-05-2015, 04:04 AM

It could be nice anybody @avid would respond seriously for the question.

Here at my work we have the same issues with the following setup:

MP Nehalem 4x2.93GHz, 7GB, GF120 (standard)
OSX 10.10.4
PT12.2
Mbox3 pro

The system is almost clean installed

I've noticed those QT Activity Monitor errors after I had sudden problems launching PT (very long, about a minute loading stuck on 'initializing controllers' and after pt launches it is impossible to play anything with the message after half a second of playback 'the video engine...') - restarting the computer helps and PT starts/working ok.

I know the importance of other stuff attached to the computer so for the tests I have only: mbox 3 pro on the FW buss, 2 iloks (old and new), contour pro+standard wired keyboard+mouse on the usb buss