Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Default Re: New Samsung EVO 860 question

Yep. Enjoy.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yep. Enjoy.
Thanks, Darryl! I appreciate your help!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Yeah, if you're ever going to use it on an older OS than High Sierra, I would recommend HFS+, otherwise if it's only being used in high Sierra and/or Mojave you can use APFS. TRIM support only applies to disks connected via SATA connection (internally) in the computer I believe. Check out Trim Enabler: Trim Enabler
Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
TRIM support only applies to disks connected via SATA connection (internally) in the computer I believe. Check out Trim Enabler: Trim Enabler
There is no need for trim enabler. I already described all that is needed here.

And trim certainly apples to SATA internal and eSATA external drives, it also applies to PCIe and Thunderbolt PCIe drives.

Some USB adapter implementations are capable of passing the AHCI TRIM command... not clear if macOS supports that. If it's not showing up in System Info for the drive it likely aint' supported.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Good evening everyone,

Okay much info, and gets overwhelming to a certain degree.

I'm using an OWC SSD for my OSX, which I know it implements sandforce for it's trim. Anyhow I got another SSD, Samsung EVO, and from what I can gather is that my OSX Lion does not support trim unless I use a third party utility.

Mainly using the drive to store samples, so any advice would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:59 PM

Default New Samsung EVO 860 question

That is correct. I think it was Sierra and up that Apple allowed TRIM on 3rd party drives.

Either run the 3rd party TRIM enabler or just rely on the drives own way of dealing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 02-06-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM

What I find interesting is that OWC say it plays nice with trim, then another article from them stating not good to do so.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 PM

With samples that are largely read-only TRIM likely does not matter at all.

If the Samsung had heavy write load then TRIM will help, but how much, eh depends on how write busy the drive gets.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:24 PM

FWIW, I installed a Samsung 860 EVO as an internal High Sierra system drive a couple of weekends ago. I did quite a bit of ‘research’ first and decided to enable TRIM using the MacOS trimforce setting after formatting as APFS with Disk Utility and subsequently restoring from a clone backup with an OS installation.

Main ‘surprise’ was how the disk and Macintosh HD volume were represented straight after formatting. Basically, unexpected extra volume/names, greyed out Macintosh HD and internal drive displayed as external - turns out this is normal and these were hidden/properly labeled after re-booting. I’m not sure if this was specific to my setup i.e. new drive is internal and I had booted off an external drive.

If you’ve never used APFS, it’s worth reading up on the new features and different structure (e.g. compared to HFS+ partitions) such as ‘containers’ before you progress.

Anyway, just adding more background in case it helps - I appreciate yours is external and Darryl has already pointed out that TRIM may or may not be supported in your case.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
FWIW, I installed a Samsung 860 EVO as an internal High Sierra system drive a couple of weekends ago. I did quite a bit of ‘research’ first and decided to enable TRIM using the MacOS trimforce setting after formatting as APFS with Disk Utility and subsequently restoring from a clone backup with an OS installation.

Main ‘surprise’ was how the disk and Macintosh HD volume were represented straight after formatting. Basically, unexpected extra volume/names, greyed out Macintosh HD and internal drive displayed as external - turns out this is normal and these were hidden/properly labeled after re-booting. I’m not sure if this was specific to my setup i.e. new drive is internal and I had booted off an external drive.

If you’ve never used APFS, it’s worth reading up on the new features and different structure (e.g. compared to HFS+ partitions) such as ‘containers’ before you progress.

Anyway, just adding more background in case it helps - I appreciate yours is external and Darryl has already pointed out that TRIM may or may not be supported in your case.
Definitely helpful folks here.

Does Samsungs Magician yield better results ?