Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Enabling Groups: 7.2

Typing "a" from the mix window toggles Group 1a on and off, as in versions before 7.2. How does one enable/disable Bank 2- Group a (2a), for example, from the keyboard? Trying 2+a, in this example, doesn't appear to work.

I can't seem to find this in the Users Guide.

Many thanks,

John-
Old 08-07-2006, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Enabling Groups: 7.2

Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Good question. I'm not sure I knew you could even do that in the first place...........

That's the thing about protools - you definitely learn something new each day.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Avid

Its still working as it always has:

Ensure that the "a-z" ICON is enabled above the Group list.

However, 'tis true that groups above the 26th one ("2j", "3k", etc.) can not be toggled on/off because we could not find a convenient way to allow this. Meaning, pressing "1" than "a" would affect the transport function first, and so on.....

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 08-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
...However, 'tis true that groups above the 26th one ("2j", "3k", etc.) can not be toggled on/off because we could not find a convenient way to allow this. Meaning, pressing "1" than "a" would affect the transport function first, and so on.....

-tv
Good point, Tim. Without some sort of modifier key in the string of key strokes, it would create problems. By the time you need several keys it's perhaps easier to just use a mouse click on the group name.

I'm very pleased to now have the 104 groups, may I add. Thanks to you and the Firm. Might there be some future thought of preserving the color coding of a-z groups within banks 2-4 ?At a glance, when all groups within a bank are black, as they are now in bank 4 for example, it's hard to spot differences at a glance. Even just recyling the colors used in bank 1 would be better than no color distinction, in my view. Better yet, how about a circular icon like we now have, but some sort of color at the perimeter of the circle to designate bank membership? So 4a would be a blue circle with "a", but it would have a black "ring" around the blue circle to designate bank 4, maybe. Bank 3 might have all white rings.

Thanks for the response, and for this fabulous 7.2 update.

John-
Old 08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
...However, 'tis true that groups above the 26th one ("2j", "3k", etc.) can not be toggled on/off because we could not find a convenient way to allow this. Meaning, pressing "1" than "a" would affect the transport function first, and so on.....

-tv
Good point, Tim. Without some sort of modifier key in the string of key strokes, it would create problems. By the time you need several keys it's perhaps easier to just use a mouse click on the group name.

I'm very pleased to now have the 104 groups, may I add. Thanks to you and the Firm. Might there be some future thought of preserving the color coding of a-z groups within banks 2-4 ?At a glance, when all groups within a bank are black, as they are now in bank 4 for example, it's hard to spot differences at a glance. Even just recyling the colors used in bank 1 would be better than no color distinction, in my view. Better yet, how about a circular icon like we now have, but some sort of color at the perimeter of the circle to designate bank membership? So 4a would be a blue circle with "a", but it would have a black "ring" around the blue circle to designate bank 4, maybe. Bank 3 might have all white rings.

Thanks for the response, and for this fabulous 7.2 update.

John-
Ineresting UI ideas there, John. Consider them considered!

FYI, you can also access the Group functions list using normal click on the Group ID inside a Group members track as well as the actual Groups list. Right-clicking on the Group ID inside the Group members track allows toggling active on/off.

(Indeed, I'm really finding the Group attributes extremely powerful to "ease-of-mixing"!!!)

-tv

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."