Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Default Tape Backup systems

I'd like to get a quick consensus on what backup systems everyone is using. We've been using Sony AIT tapes and Retrospect software for over 10 years and have been very happy with the speed and reliability. However, Sony just announced (Or I just found out) that they are stopping all AIT drive manufacturing. This means we are in need of a new system for tape-based backup. DLT or LTO??
Anyone care to chime in??

Jim Morris
Morrisound Recording
Tampa, FL
Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Tape Backup systems

If those are your only options, LTO. DLT is dead for all intents and purposes. Be ready for sticker shock, though.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM

I have used AIT/Retrospect for years also. 2 Years ago I bought an LTO3 drive and an ATTO UL5D on ebay for about $1100. I can back up and verify about 600GB per tape ($38 each) in less than 3 hours. My AIT2 would take about 4 hours to do 50GB!

I love my LTO setup. Just hit ebay and don't worry about a brand new one. Ask the right questions of the seller, and you'll be fine.

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
Sony just announced (Or I just found out) that they are stopping all AIT drive manufacturing.
OUCH! I have years of AIT backups. I hope someone will keep maintaining/repairing the drives well into the future.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM

I'm using an HP LTO4 Tape Drive with Retrospect 8, and an ATTO SAS interface card. Not cheap, the drive was about $1200 and the interface card about $350 or so. But I can get about 1T on each tape, and can find tapes on eBay new for about $40 to $50. Uncompressed will you get you 750g for certain on each tape, and as I say, averaging about 1T with compression on.

Have done a few restores, all works great, and so far no real hiccups. I think from an internal drive, am averaging about 3 gigs per minute backup time, and from an external drive like a Drobo, more like 1.5 to 2 gigs per minutes backup time.

All in all, happy with it. Except that the tape drive itself has VERY loud fans.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Retrospect since 2004 and a big LTO robot here. Has saved our butts MANY times!! LTOs are getting faster and are backwards compatible. I'd consider moving to that format.

5-PTHD systems
4-AVID video editors on Unity

It works!!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM

A little OT, but:

I used to use tape backup (DDS-4) as well with Retrospect. then I kept using Retrospect, but with FW Hard Drives instead. I like the way it only backs up new info, and is pretty reliable, BUT i hate the GUI, and I always forget to backup the actual Storage Set data.

Anyway, Ive tried some other software like Syncronize X, etc. But they dont behave like Retrospect in the sense that Retrospect never DELETES stuff if you dont want to. It just adds and adds the new stuff to your in-progress project backup. Whereas, Sync X DELETES files in order to make the bkup more of an exact clone. Which I dont like. Never know when I might need that 51st take after all. ha.

So, does anyone know of or use another software that behaves like Retrospect, works well with Protools, but has a more manageable GUI?

Im in the market for a totally new Software backup platform that can do appending-style backups to other disks or DVDs.

Opinions?

Thanks
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Retroecpt 8 is out (for the Mac) which has a much improved single window interface.

Chronosync (Mac again, sorry, can't remember now if you said PC or Mac) can do backups that way, is very powerful and has a scheduler. You can have it backup in the way you're mentioning, you can have it place 'older' items into Archive folders, or do proper sync, pretty much any configuration you can think of. I use it all the time to sync my internal drives to external mirrors.

Works great.