Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-17-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Re: what are the ratios like, for users of protool

Now, now Lee........
Let's not poke fun at the Americans, they're liable to drop something on your house:)

Seriously, I think DP may have more appeal for film scoring composers over Logic because it's easier to see and work the whole layout of a large ensemble than say Logic, which seems to be more popular composers doing pop and electronic styles of music. I've used both for scoring and I found Logic to be clumsy and ackward when trying to work with a large score. Although, I must say that the notation program in Logic is good, but for me, it doesn't warrant using over DP.
Also, DP has been a staple for midi here in the states for a long, long time. Performer and Studio Vision were kings here long before Logic came around. Where as in Europe, Logic is everywhere.

I quess to answer the poster's question: The numbers probably depend more on what kind of work you are doing and where you are located.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:13 PM

thanks for info guys i guess im stuck at learning both.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:35 PM

Hey Digi,

To me the answer is what's being used the most by those you work with. You'll hear all of them being praised and cursed, depending on versions, upgrade path expenses, etc. They'll all work, but having a compatible system to those you work with will mean a whole lot more than almost any feature.

Pick one and learn it well before diving into another platform.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Seriously, I think DP may have more appeal for film scoring composers over Logic because it's easier to see and work the whole layout of a large ensemble
I'd dispute that. The hierarchical folder architecture of Logic makes it much easier to grapple with large complex arrangements, and work in a modular manner which can be crucial when different cuts are coming fast and furious.

Performer was first on the block, and it was initially adopted by some influential old guard Hollywood film folks. Their associates and assistants then had to adopt it for everyone to be on the same page. It's a regional industry preference, and that's fine. A creative individual can certainly do good music to picture work with Logic or DP (PT might even be a good application for this purpose if they ever pumped up the tempo management tools and added a folder architecture).

Lee Blaske