Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:12 AM

Default Recording Latency, (Have to shift regions after recording)

Every time I record audio I have to nudge the region back in time to get it how it should sound. This affects my work flow greatly.

I had a session with a rapper yesterday and I wanted to record each line separately. This meant I had to record a line, then zoom in and nudge it back in time, play it a couple of time to make sure it was right then move on to the next line. This really affected his flow and the end result was unnatural.

Also, the region will never be at the exact same time in which it was recorded. This annoys me greatly. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee help me.

cheers
Bruce
Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Recording Latency, (Have to shift regions after recording)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefielder View Post
Every time I record audio I have to nudge the region back in time to get it how it should sound. This affects my work flow greatly.

I had a session with a rapper yesterday and I wanted to record each line separately. This meant I had to record a line, then zoom in and nudge it back in time, play it a couple of time to make sure it was right then move on to the next line. This really affected his flow and the end result was unnatural.

Also, the region will never be at the exact same time in which it was recorded. This annoys me greatly. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee help me.

cheers
Bruce
Do you have plugins enabled on the track? What is your buffer? Version of Pro Tools, etc...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 AM

this is with no plugins on the track. if the session is completely empty its not so bad. as soon as the session gets even the slight bit complex it lags real bad. Tried all levels of buffer and it doesn't solve the problem.

Pro Tools LE 8.04, Windows XP SP3.
MBOX 2 USB.

Quad Core Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
4GB Ram, ATI HD 4850 1GB Graphics.

cheers
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 AM

aha i think i have worked it out. I was using Izotope Ozone on my master channel to avoid clipping, and when i take it off the problem goes away. is there any 'low cpu usage' plugins i can use on my master to stop it clipping during mixing?

thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM

Leave Ozone out until after all your tracking is done(actaully, leave out ANY plugins on the master track until its bounce time). If the master is clipping, just pull it down and turn up your speakers/headphones. Or hit the ALL group and pull ALL you tracks faders down 3-4db. The clipping should not hurt anything during playback, and you can add in Ozone when you get ready to bounce. You can leave Ozone inserted and make it inactive until the bounce(inactive, not bypass).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Leave Ozone out until after all your tracking is done(actaully, leave out ANY plugins on the master track until its bounce time). If the master is clipping, just pull it down and turn up your speakers/headphones. Or hit the ALL group and pull ALL you tracks faders down 3-4db. The clipping should not hurt anything during playback, and you can add in Ozone when you get ready to bounce. You can leave Ozone inserted and make it inactive until the bounce(inactive, not bypass).
Right. There's not much reason to have anything on the master fader while recording, especially Ozone since it puts a lot of delay into the mix. That's why it's a mastering plugin, to be used when delay is not an issue.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Any clipping that happens post fader does not matter while tracking. As long as your actual audio isn't clipping coming in (pre-fader), then you don't need to worry about anything that is clipping until you mix the record.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15