Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Default Fresh PT10 install ilok2 drive names too long

Thought I made it all the through the PT10 install gauntlet, but clicked on launch the program only to receive a message from iLok complaining that one of my NTFS drives is longer than 11 characters and corruption could result. That could only be the Windows-created partition, "System Reserved."

I'm not confident about shortening the name of a partition Windows feels is essential to safe operation.

Anyone been here before?

Help!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Fresh PT10 install ilok2 drive names too long

Bump. No one else ever encountered this?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 AM

I see this is a known issue; it appears in the PT10 Read Me file and previous version Read Me files.

However, nowhere does it tell you if its safe to change the Windows named "System Recovery" partition.

And I've scoured the web, where no one seems to have this exact issue, they had regular drive names longer than 11 characters which were easily shortened to ilok's liking.

It would be great to get past this . . .
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 AM

The resolution for anyone searching in the future:

Avid tech support emailed me back [within 24 hours, btw] that the Windows created "System Reserved" partition on the C drive, which is too many characters, should have installed as a hidden file without a drive letter.

So, I eventually landed in the Win7 Disk Management utility. There, after probing around a while, I noticed that there was another "System Reserved" partition on the Audio drive! This was undoubtedly created in a past life, perhaps when it was an operating system drive before I owned it. And the C drive's System Reserved partition was indeed hidden and did not have a drive letter.

Anyway, erasing the System Reserved partition on the Audio drive did the trick! PT10 now opens. Of course I still have to add the virtual instruments and check it all out, I'm not completely out of the woods yet, but I'm down the road again! Yay!

There is another issue some of you may have encountered. After a series of moves preparing the PC for PT10 including switching drives around in the mobo controllers, changing the video card, adding a TI firewire card, adding iLok and Avid software and drivers, and okaying a few Windows updates, I now am rewarded with a "Windows Explorer has stopped working" loop.

If anyone has experience with this annoyance, please let me know.