Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 LE multiple problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyesbaby View Post
The bios question; Sometime Mobo manufacturers find problems that can be corrected in bios, so they do. Sometimes it’s to add new features. Sometimes they don’t spell out everything they do, so it’s a generally a goof idea to stay current, unless in your opinion, everything couldn’t be better.
<<
Tanx. I'll be checking on the bios.
Some tend to slip in fixes that were pretty significant, and as Tom says, they aren't documented. Today's CPU's and support chips depend heavily on the BIOS for proper configuration even for normal stock operation. I always stay current with BIOS's on any system using Core 2 Duo's or Quad's. It usually takes Asus several updates before things start really operating correctly, and you can just about count on the board you buy retail/mail order being several revisions behind the current BIOS.

Quote:
I FAILED the memTest that Bill pointed me to. It only took about 45 seconds to FAIL. Now I got to figure that one out.
Be sure and carefully read the Memtest readme/help file. It discusses basic tricks for determining if it's one stick, and concludes that if both sticks (using their method) seem to be bad, probably they aren't -- it's the motherboard, a configuration issue, or RAM being used beyond its capability.

Sorry for the long silence. I've been very busy in the studio and other projects for the last few days.

--Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 PM

Hi Bill,

THANK YOU for the reply.

>>
Some tend to slip in fixes that were pretty significant, and as Tom says, they aren't documented. Today's CPU's and support chips depend heavily on the BIOS for proper configuration even for normal stock operation. I always stay current with BIOS's on any system using Core 2 Duo's or Quad's. It usually takes Asus several updates before things start really operating correctly, and you can just about count on the board you buy retail/mail order being several revisions behind the current BIOS.
<<
Got it!

>>
Be sure and carefully read the Memtest readme/help file. It discusses basic tricks for determining if it's one stick, and concludes that if both sticks (using their method) seem to be bad, probably they aren't -- it's the motherboard, a configuration issue, or RAM being used beyond its capability.
<<
Last Saturday I isolated the bad strip. Corsair is replacing it. In the meantime I got 4Gb of Corsair D2 "1066" at Fry's for $60 and then ran MemTest86 (overnight... 8 passes through it's battery of tests). No failures when I checked it.

The rig "feels" better.

Periodically (since Sunday) I've been getting this ONE (and only) error:
-------------------------
PROBLEM:
Playback stops AND a burst of digital feedback (multiple instances)

ERROR MESSAGE:
#9128 Running out of CPU power. Remove RTAS plug-ins, increase CPU usage limit

ACTIVITY:
Hitting the <Ctrl><Start><P> "MIDI-Note-Off" hotkey AFTER looping for a while on a small selection.

NOTE:
I don't have to reboot (freeze) or anything like that. I Can start playback immediately. Just seems like PT8 doesn't like the <Ctrl><Start><P> hotkey when in the middle of an "extended play" on a loop (whether the loop is large or small).

IF I stop play (first) BEFORE hitting the <Ctrl><Start><P> hotkey THEN... no problem.
------------------------

AGAIN... the rig just "feels" better now I've swapped out that 4Gb of RAM.

THANK YOU for "holding my hand".

THANK YOU for you time... Frankie J (^_^)
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 AM

Glad you're making some headway on the problem.

On the -9128 error, have you tried increasing the size of the hardware playback buffer in setup->playback engine?

Are you using only the 1066 RAM or a combination with the other slower ones?

What does cpu-z say about the ram speed?

--Bill
Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 PM

Hi Bill,

THANK YOU for the reply.

>>
On the -9128 error, have you tried increasing the size of the hardware playback buffer in setup->playback engine?
<<
Sometimes I do 512... sometimes I do 1024. NEVER do 2048 (too much latency).

>>
Are you using only the 1066 RAM or a combination with the other slower ones?
<<
4Gb of 1066 (no 800s in the PC).

>>
What does cpu-z say about the ram speed?
<<
Greek to me. (hopefully I didn't cut out something important from the report) SEE BELOW.

THANX for your time... Frankie J (^_^)

CPU-Z Text Dump (edited):
=========================
Processors Map
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number of processors 1
Number of threads 4
Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0
-- Core 1
-- Thread 0
-- Core 2
-- Thread 0
-- Core 3
-- Thread 0

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Codename Kentsfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
CPUID 6.F.B
Extended CPUID 6.F
Core Stepping G0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1603.8 MHz (6.0 x 267.3 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 1069.2 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 9.0x
max VID 1.300 V
Features XD, VT

Chipset
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Northbridge Intel P35/G33/G31 rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801IB (ICH9) rev. 02
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Dual (Asymmetric)
Memory Frequency 534.6 MHz (1:2)
CAS# 5.0
RAS# to CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18
Command Rate 2T

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIMM #1
General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number CM2X2048-8500C5
Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP yes (1 profiles)
XMP no
Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 266 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5
RAS# Precharge 4 5
TRAS 12 18
TRC 16 23
EPP profile 1 (full)
Voltage level 2.100 Volts
Address Command Rate 2T
Cycle time 1.875 ns (533.3 MHz)
tCL 5.0 clocks
tRCD 5 clocks (9.25 ns)
tRP 5 clocks (9.25 ns)
tRAS 15 clocks (28.00 ns)
tRC 22 clocks (41.00 ns)
tWR 8 clocks (15.00 ns)

DIMM #2
General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number CM2X2048-8500C5
Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP yes (1 profiles)
XMP no
Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 266 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5
RAS# Precharge 4 5
TRAS 12 18
TRC 16 23
EPP profile 1 (full)
Voltage level 2.100 Volts
Address Command Rate 2T
Cycle time 1.875 ns (533.3 MHz)
tCL 5.0 clocks
tRCD 5 clocks (9.25 ns)
tRP 5 clocks (9.25 ns)
tRAS 15 clocks (28.00 ns)
tRC 22 clocks (41.00 ns)
tWR 8 clocks (15.00 ns)

DMI Processor
-------------
manufacturer Intel
model Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
clock speed 2400.0 MHz
FSB speed 266.0 MHz
multiplier 9.0x
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 AM

One thing I see that is not right is speed stepping. Pro Tools doesn't like it, but I don't recall what visible problems it causes.

Go into your motherboard BIOS, probably under CPU and turn OFF C1E. Then either there or in Chipset section, disable SPEED STEP. Those changes will keep the processor core speed and multiplier from changing settings --it will be operating at highest performance all the time. See if PT behaves any differently for you in that mode.

Then look at cpu-z again and in the About menu, do an HTML dump. Open that file in your browser and then use SAVE AS to a txt file. That will give you a pretty quick and consolidated list of relevant parms.

--Bill
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 AM

Hi Bill,

THANK YOU for the reply.

>>
One thing I see that is not right is speed stepping. Pro Tools doesn't like it, but I don't recall what visible problems it causes.
<<
What (in the report) tells you that was enabled?

>>
Go into your motherboard BIOS, probably under CPU and turn OFF C1E. Then either there or in Chipset section, disable SPEED STEP.
<<
Ya know I forgot to ask about that... in the process of isolating the bad RAM strip I had to wipe out CMOS (and subsequently my bios tweaks). I remembered the first time installed PT (ever) I had a Digi document handy that talked about making some tweaks to the BIOS settings. I'm pretty sure that "stepping" (along with some other tweaks) were included in that doc... anywho... I made the tweaks you just mentioned above BUT... I want to make sure that I've covered ALL the tweaks Digidesign recommended in that doc.

When I do a search for bios on Digi's site it returns a zillion docs, Do you know the doc I'm talking about? Do you happen to know it's address (link)?

>>
Those changes will keep the processor core speed and multiplier from changing settings --it will be operating at highest performance all the time. See if PT behaves any differently for you in that mode.
<<
I can still get that "#9128 Running out of CPU power" error by hitting <Ctrl><Start><P> AFTER looping for a while (15 mins or more).

IF I... STOP (first) THEN hotkey... NO ERROR.
IF looping for a "short time" THEN hotkey... NO ERROR.

I gotta tell ya tho... at this point in time it's (more or less) just an inconvenience BECAUSE... now I've been loading up multiple instances of MemHogger Atomic[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s... AND... I haven't reached the threshhold for memory headaches yet.

>>
Then look at cpu-z again and in the About menu, do an HTML dump. Open that file in your browser and then use SAVE AS to a txt file. That will give you a pretty quick and consolidated list of relevant parms.
<<
Why does my memory say 400Mhz ? (see below, in RED).

CPU-Z 1.50 report file
Processor(s)
Number of processors
Number of cores
4 per processor
Number of threads
4 per processor
Name
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Code Name
Kentsfield
Specification
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Package
Socket 775 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping
6.F.B
Extended Family/Model
6.F
Core Stepping
G0
Technology
65 nm
Core Speed
2405.9 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed
9.0 x 267.3 MHz
Rated Bus speed
1069.3 MHz
Stock frequency
2400 MHz
Instruction sets
MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor)
4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor)
4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor)
2 x 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Chipset & Memory
Northbridge
Intel P35/G33/G31 rev. A2
Southbridge
Intel 82801IB (ICH9) rev. 02
Graphic Interface
PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width
x16
PCI-E Max Link Width
x16
Memory Type
DDR2
Memory Size
4096 MBytes
Memory Frequency
534.6 MHz (1:2)
CAS# Latency (tCL)
5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD)
5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP)
5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS)
18 clocks
Command Rate (CR)
2T
System
System Manufacturer
System manufacturer
System Name
P5K
System S/N
System Serial Number
Mainboard Vendor
ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Mainboard Model
P5K
BIOS Vendor
American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version
BIOS Date
07/03/2007
Memory SPD
Module 1
DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Corsair
Module 2
DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Corsair
Software
Windows Version
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version
9.0c
Old 03-01-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
>>
<<
What (in the report) tells you that was enabled?
It was either the actual clock speed being too low, or the multiplier being lower than default. Either of those conditions indicate speed shifting.

Quote:
When I do a search for bios on Digi's site it returns a zillion docs, Do you know the doc I'm talking about? Do you happen to know it's address (link)?
Try this

Quote:
Why does my memory say 400Mhz ? (see below, in RED).
It looks like Corsair is using what was originally DDR2-800 memory (which uses a 400Mhz clock speed) and tested, packaged it as DDR2-1066 (which uses a 533Mhz clock speed). As long as the RAM tests good at your operating speed it will be fine. That's not at all unusual.

BTW, that's a very old (and buggy with some chipsets) BIOS in that board, 0603. If yours is a P5K (no suffix) the latest is 1201. If you decide to upgrade it, use a USB memory stick with the ROM image on it with the Asus EZ Upgrade option in Tools in the BIOS. Quite painless.

--Bill
Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 AM

Hi Bill,

THANK YOU for the reply.

>>
It was either the actual clock speed being too low, or the multiplier being lower than default. Either of those conditions indicate speed shifting.
<<
Tanx.

>>
Try this
<<
Thanx for the link.

>>
It looks like Corsair is using what was originally DDR2-800 memory (which uses a 400Mhz clock speed) and tested, packaged it as DDR2-1066 (which uses a 533Mhz clock speed). As long as the RAM tests good at your operating speed it will be fine. That's not at all unusual.
<<
OK.

>>
BTW, that's a very old (and buggy with some chipsets) BIOS in that board, 0603. If yours is a P5K (no suffix) the latest is 1201.
<<
OK... busted... I haven't done anything with the bios yet.

The first time I went to the ASUS site it said don't upgrade UNLESS you know there is a specific fix to a problem you may be having... THEN (after I got up the nerve to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading)... I couldn't (quickly) figure out which P5K "socket" I had. I can see (now) that cpu-z says I have the 775 LGA.

>>
If you decide to upgrade it, use a USB memory stick with the ROM image on it with the Asus EZ Upgrade option in Tools in the BIOS. Quite painless.
<<
I don't have a memory stick (never used one). Can't I just download the upgrade file to any ole drive on my network? I've got an external USB hard drive.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
The first time I went to the ASUS site it said don't upgrade UNLESS you know there is a specific fix to a problem you may be having... THEN (after I got up the nerve to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading)... I couldn't (quickly) figure out which P5K "socket" I had. I can see (now) that cpu-z says I have the 775 LGA.
Right, and there are probably three different P5K board models so make sure to specify the right one. Generally, the BIOS's are the same, but not 100%.

That's a standard warning message to discourage the curious...

Quote:
If you decide to upgrade it, use a USB memory stick with the ROM image on it with the Asus EZ Upgrade option in Tools in the BIOS. Quite painless.
<<
I don't have a memory stick (never used one). Can't I just download the upgrade file to any ole drive on my network? I've got an external USB hard drive.
Sure. I'm pretty sure that later versions of the EZ Flash software will look at any drive, USB or otherwise. You can always run the program to see, it'll do no harm if you don't update. As long as the .ROM file can be found, the software will verify it for integrity and type (right file for the board) before accepting it as an update.

--Bill
Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM

Hi Bill,

THANK YOU for the reply.

>>
...You can always run the program to see, it'll do no harm if you don't update. As long as the .ROM file can be found, the software will verify it for integrity and type (right file for the board) before accepting it as an update.
<<
Well... I did experience some "anxious" moments (incidents) but... my BIOS is now updated and... "dialed in" per Corsair, Digidesign, (and BBlue) recommendations.

In addition to stacking up the plug-ins (I mentioned earlier) I've also been doing some "live" elastic audio work (HELP says "live" is more memory intensive than "rendered"). Everything seems to be running OK. I can still get that <Ctrl><Start><P> H/W Buffer error after looping for awhile but... I also know how to avoid it.

On 2/9/09 I started this thread because I did not feel good about my computer/PT8 setup. TODAY I am VERY HAPPY.

THANK YOU very much BBLUE (and TOM).

Is it OK to shift gears here?... is it me (could very well be) or... do those 003 preamps really SUCK? In particular, the "bell overtones" of my EL34 (tubes) are not making it to the hard drive. The overtones (as printed to tape) DO COME ACROSS in the TAPE to DISK transfers I've done. I'm just struggling to get it from MICOPHONE to DISK. Is there some special HooDooVooDoo-I-GottaDoo?