Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2017, 03:25 PM

Default Quick heads up for Creators Win10 and 3.6.1

My reference rig is a homebrew PC Intel 6 core and I use an Artist Control/Mix setup. After being in software upgrade hell the better part of the day installing PT12.8 native and Eucon 3.6.1, I was having major issues with my Kensington trackball cursor behaving insanely. Clicking on a marker in the Marker window popped up an edit window...you had to hit OK to make it disappear. Marker buttons in lane were unresponsive, Pre/Post buttons wouldn't work, neither did keyboard focus. Also windows and icons on the desktop mostly didn't work. Soooo I decided to RTFM (or these days RTFPDF) and sure enough I found this on page 5 of the what's new:

"Microsoft Windows 10 Creators Update
If your system is running Microsoft Windows 10 Creators Update do not enable the Enable External Workstations in EuControl to avoid problems with mouse clicks."

Yikes I guess this check box is a new default since I was fine with 12.7.1 and Eucon 3.6 on the Win10 Creators for the last week. Or it's always been checked as a default and is just now incompatable with W10 Creators. FWIW I wasn't successful uninstalling 12.8/3.6.1 and trying to roll back to 12.7.1/3.6. Head scratching. Though the warning is in the 3.6.1 readme I think it should be highlighted in red and more towards the top since it effectively makes the combo rig unusable. Ultimately it must be a issue with the Creators update. If anyone knows what it is in the new W10 that causes this I'd love to know what that is.

BTW I'm running a MacPro/PT HD (12.71.1) as a workstation alongside the W10 rig and I'm still able to pass control of the Eucon surfaces as I always have.

I hope this helps other users who were pushed into this with the MS force feeding of the Creators update. I wish it was still a choice...the best you can do is postpone it but I don't know for how long. Hence my heads up!

WD

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 07-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Avid

Default Re: Quick heads up for Creators Win10 and 3.6.1

Hi, yes its hard keeping up with OS updates. I'm interested to hear that with the Ext WS check box off you can still control an Ext WS ?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 PM

The Workstation behavior seems to function normally...in my case from Eucon on a PC over to a MacPro and back again. It's always less fussy from Mac to PC than Vice Versa. On the PC routine there are several "remove", "available", "add" sequences that must be performed to get it to stick...pretty much always been that way. From the Mac to PC (though keep in mind I haven't upgraded that rig to 3.6.1 yet.) it's pretty efficient ie. "remove", "available", "add".

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
Soooo I decided to RTFM (or these days RTFPDF)

I disabled my Windows Update Service....which is how I avoided the most recent update.

I'm on the one before creators.

Good to know though!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the tip.
I am having mouse issues too, however I am not able to disable the check box to disable external workstations, it is greyed out.
Any other suggestions?

EDIT: UPDATE
I uninstalled 3.6.1 and installed an earlier version, then I was able to disable the external workstation box, the re installed 3.6.1, and the setting remained disabled. Now my mouse is working properly again.
Thanks.

MAC- OSX - 10.10.5 - MOTU828MKII - ProTools9

Last edited by johngar; 07-11-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngar View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I am having mouse issues too, however I am not able to disable the check box to disable external workstations, it is greyed out.
Thanks.
Was this in EuControl or the Pref panel ?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 AM

Further update on this situation. To be clear to anyone browsing this thread, this behavior is only with Eucon 3.6.1/PT12.8 on Win10 Creators version (the latest big upgrade). Since I run a Win rig and MacPro rig in my studio I'm able to verify that 3.6.1 on the Mac with PT 12.8 works fine...in fact it turns out the Check box re. "external workstation" doesn't exist on the Mac side. Things in Macland are biz as usual in this regard. As I've stated, once I found the uncheck "external workstation" fix for W10 Creators, things have been fine again with win10 Creators and MacPro (which in my case is good old Yosemite OS 10.10).

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Old 07-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Avid

Quote:
in fact it turns out the Check box re. "external workstation" doesn't exist on the Mac side.
External WS.jpg
Old 07-14-2017, 09:51 PM

THX, I stand corrected...I don't know how I missed that. FWIW I've left it checked on the Mac since I don't want to lose my workstation switching function between Mac and PC, which is functioning.

While I'm at it is there a fix in the works for the PC Eucon soft? Or is this workaround going to be that problem solver?

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Old 07-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Avid

Quote:
While I'm at it is there a fix in the works for the PC Eucon soft? Or is this workaround going to be that problem solver?
At the moment the workaround is all we have and as it effects a very small amount of users I want to get some other bugs and features sorted first.