Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 02-07-2010, 06:29 AM

Default The Pro Tools midi editor.

I had to say it, but the PT midi editor is the best i've every played with out of any seriouse DAW. I played with the Cubase editor, Reaper editor, Sonar's, FL Studio's and many more and this is just brilliant, it's even more brilliant for film scoring, well done Digi.

The only shame is that even though i'm on a 64bit system, i'm unable to use 4gb of RAM, which makes me have to use another DAW because i have quite large templates, very sad

Dan.
FL Studio - 9.0.3
Midi controllers - Behringer BCF 2000 - M-Audio Keystation 61es

Dan-Jay
Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Default Re: The Pro Tools midi editor.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I did some work in the MIDI Editor over the weekend, and I must say that it made me smile because it's just a joy to work with.

And Digi got it right in it's first incarnation as well!
How many times did I see a review of a new version of Reason for example where it said in the review summary "Editor still needs work", or something to that effect.
In fact - didn't they have to release a whole new software package in the form of Record just to begin to get it right?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

I did some work in the MIDI Editor over the weekend, and I must say that it made me smile because it's just a joy to work with.

And Digi got it right in it's first incarnation as well!
How many times did I see a review of a new version of Reason for example where it said in the review summary "Editor still needs work", or something to that effect.
In fact - didn't they have to release a whole new software package in the form of Record just to begin to get it right?

Not sure, i never used Reason......... well........ only once and i didn't like the layout. I'll say it again, I LOVE THE MIDI EDITOR, the workflow is nuts and i'm glad you agree :)
FL Studio - 9.0.3

Dan-Jay
Old 02-07-2010, 12:52 PM

It just feels like a software package within the software package - not merely a "feature", like it feels in all other DAW's.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
It just feels like a software package within the software package - not merely a "feature", like it feels in all other DAW's.

Hey Guys! Thnx for the heads up to actually use it! I will get into it after my Snow Leopard update is complete today. g
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Hey Guys! Thnx for the heads up to actually use it! I will get into it after my Snow Leopard update is complete today. g
You will be pleasantly surprised.

I used to do pretty much all the MIDI stuff within the main edit window - then I started using the MIDI editor and have always been since.

Working on MIDI tasks within the main edit window is great for touch-ups, and the fact that you can see your MIDI performances and how they're behaving along-side with the other tracks, but it just feels a little too basic, whereas the MIDI Editor, as I said, feels like a complete software package dedicated to the complexities of MIDI tasks - which is really its sole purpose.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM

This new midi editor in PT 8 is a complete rip from Ableton. They still dont have it up to par with Ableton in MY opinion. Needs work but if they keep ripping the style off of Ableton it will be great.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM

lol

Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 PM

In my opinion, there's nothing they need to touch up....... i actuallt couldn't point out anything for improvement.

The fact is, when working with strings, it's great that you can few all the strings at one time, not just get out of the violins section, click on the violas section, then click back the the violins, same with CC data, you can choose to view it all right infront of you!! woo
FL Studio - 9.0.3

Dan-Jay
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Jay View Post
The only shame is that even though i'm on a 64bit system, i'm unable to use 4gb of RAM, which makes me have to use another DAW
This will be the case the foreseeable future I think however the limitations experienced with 32-bit Operating Systems and ReWire Clients is none existent with W7.

filosofem