Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Amplitube 2 - worthwhile? Any users here?

I've been getting by using the Amplitube LE version included with the Ignition Pack. I also have the VST2RTAS wrapper that allows me to use VST amp sims like Voxengo and FreeAmp 2.0.

So I'm soliciting feedback on whether it's worth the dough to upgrade to Amplitube 2.0. It's available online for about $220.

Some specific questions:

Is it a REALLY a noticeable improvement to Amplitube LE in terms of sound quality and decent presets - or is it really kind of the same with just more amps?

Can you get a decent feedback out of it? (I can't with LE)

Is it a CPU hog?

Do the settings save with ProTools sessions? (They don't with the LE version.)

Can I use my ILok or do I have to buy their USB dongle?

Will I erase my ILok settings if I use their software to write to my ILok?

I'm looking for real feedback from users - not corporate speak from the company sales force. That's why I'm asking here and not on the IK Multimedia website. I really need to be sure on the investment before I spend the money. We just bought a new car and Christmas is coming. I want to confirm this is maximum bang for the buck especially with cash a bit tight.

Thanks in advance. (I'll thow this up in 'Virtual Instruments' too.)
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 11-12-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Amplitube 2 - worthwhile? Any users here?

Quote:
Is it a REALLY a noticeable improvement to Amplitube LE in terms of sound quality and decent presets
Yes, most definitely.
Quote:
Can you get a decent feedback out of it? (I can't with LE)
Feedback is determined (and largely produced) by your monitoring system. How are you monitoring the output?
Quote:
Is it a CPU hog?
Yes, unfortunately. Most amp sims with comparable feature sets are.
Quote:
Do the settings save with ProTools sessions? (They don't with the LE version.)
Yes they do. They also do with the LE version, as long as you have the latest version of the plugin. If your LE version does not save the settings with the session, you are using a VERY old version of the plugin and you need to update it. Updates are available in the user support section of the IKMultimedia website.
Quote:
Can I use my ILok or do I have to buy their USB dongle?
You can't use the ilok, you have to use the synchrosoft key. It's included with the software, though, so no worries there.
Quote:
Will I erase my ILok settings if I use their software to write to my ILok?
See previous answer.

Amplitube 2 has some great tones (which is why I bought it). I'm usually not a fan of IKMultimedia products, but this one is pretty good. It, like any other plugin, has some issues. Some of the harmonizer presets aren't working at all for me; I'm assuming it has something to do with my quad core but I could be wrong about that.

There are a ton of preset options available stock with the program, and tons more available online.

Quote:
(I'll thow this up in 'Virtual Instruments' too.)
Double posting is against the DUC Terms of Use. Please don't.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-12-2006, 01:18 PM

I monitor with some cheapy Rokit 5's. They're a powered studio monitor. I've heard about generating feedback with headphones taped to the guitar headstock. Ever tried that? My studio is quite 'guerilla' when it needs to be.

As for posting in two forums, I did that becase I wasn't quite certain where to post this question. I tend to dwell in the ProTools LE-Wondows forum but I fear I get a little too narrow of a focus there. The Mac folks miss this type of question if I post therein exclusively.

As for LE, I'm using a version that came with my Ignition Pack back at least 14 months ago.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still going to think about it for a bit - but your input that it is truly better helps quite a bit.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM

hello herkimer. SPK pretty much nailed everything about A2.i am not a gtr player my brother is and we work alot in PT's in reguards to recording gtr. i really enjoyed using A2 until we started using NI gtr rig more. for one, we have for fun loaded up 11 plus gtr rigs on my quad with many other tracks and it has been a blast. A2 is very cpu hoggish compared to it. when we were using A2 i thought the sounds were excellent but it always went back to the cpu thing, HEAVY and this is on my quad. NI has a demo of gtr rig maybe you can check that out and i believe IK has a A2 demo but you will need the other dongglr ( i can't remember the name, the steinberg one) good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Synchrosoft key.

I've used the demo for both Guitar Rig and Guitar Rig 2 and I think GR2 is really great. I used to be a strong proponent of GR2. I even wrote a song to show off some of it's features. The one thing I didn't like about GR2 (and the original GR) was the weird artifacts produced by some of the amp models. It's what originally stopped me from purchasing it, but it is somewhat less CPU intensive than A2, and I still think it is a worthwhile plugin.

I just thought A2 was more worth spending money on for my particular situation.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-12-2006, 09:01 PM

I'll throw in another vote for AT2. It is pretty much a hog but I don't mind printing my tracks, I'd be doing this with a real amp anyway, right?

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 PM

Most everything has been covered, so I'll throw in my hat too to say GET IT!! It's my favorite amp sim. From everything to pristine, to pretty damn nice crunch and distortion. To me, it's the best one out there that I've heard. GR2 sounds pretty nice too from what I gathered with the demo. I wasn't all to impressed with Waves GTR though.

BTW, IK is doing away with dongles for ALL their products in the near future. WOO HOOO!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 AM

Interesting topic,
I am also considering tme A2 - however, also being a Line6 user I have considered the Gearbox plug-in as well (VST for now, but RTAS in 2007, works with Vst2Rtas wrapper though).

Anybody had any time for comparisons ?

Cheers-
J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Yep, another vote for AT2. Ive been using it alot. Its a hog even on my quad but the sounds are great.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:59 AM

I really dig my AT2. Absolutly no regrets getting it. I'm running it on a dual-core system and haven't had any issues CPU usage-wise.