Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-20-2021, 08:34 AM

Default How do you get the source file location for a timeline audio clip?

I've been beating my head against this for a while. I have audio clips on the timeline of my P.T. 2020.12 session, that unfortunately do not correspond to clips in the Clip List (because they've been edited?) - when I click them, nothing in the clip list gets highlighted. Because of this, I can't get their source file location from the clip list, so where can I get it from?

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what the clip list is good for. For the most part it doesn't reflect what's in my session's "Audio" folder on disk, it doesn't reflect what's on the timeline, and the clip list command "Object Select in Edit Window" hardly ever selects ANYTHING in the timeline!
Dell Inspiron 15 3567 Laptop, 2.7 GHz Core i5-7200U: Win10 Pro v2004, 16GB RAM, SSD
MacBook Pro Retina 13" early 2015, 3.1 GHz Core i7: High Sierra 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, SSD
Old 01-20-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Re: How do you get the source file location for a timeline audio clip?

Go to the Clip List drop down menu and select Show>Auto-Created (cmd-opt-
K on Mac).

Also, make sure that there isn't a clip list search applied. There will be brackets with the search terms after the word CLIPS at the top of the clip list e.g. "CLIPS [boom]". If there is a search applied, there will be a Clear Find option at the top of the drop down menu (cmd-shift-D on Mac).
Old 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Go to the Clip List drop down menu and select Show>Auto-Created (cmd-opt-
K on Mac).

Also, make sure that there isn't a clip list search applied. There will be brackets with the search terms after the word CLIPS at the top of the clip list e.g. "CLIPS [boom]". If there is a search applied, there will be a Clear Find option at the top of the drop down menu (cmd-shift-D on Mac).
Thanks originalscottyg, that definitely helps. In addition to Showing Auto-Created, I'm realizing that I have to ignore not only the Unused clips, but also the whole-file and "parent" clips - it's hard to see that they're bolded, so I need to check if the name ends in -## (with or w/o .L or .R). Didn't realize that whole-file and parent clips never show up on the timeline, only their sub-clips do.
Dell Inspiron 15 3567 Laptop, 2.7 GHz Core i5-7200U: Win10 Pro v2004, 16GB RAM, SSD
MacBook Pro Retina 13" early 2015, 3.1 GHz Core i7: High Sierra 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, SSD
Old 01-21-2021, 10:22 AM

Open up a workspace browser window focused on the project (opt-o) and click the disclosure triangle on the audio files folder. Then when you select a clip in the edit window it will highlight that clip in the browser - the browser will give any possible information you might want about a clip.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-21-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Open up a workspace browser window focused on the project (opt-o) and click the disclosure triangle on the audio files folder. Then when you select a clip in the edit window it will highlight that clip in the browser - the browser will give any possible information you might want about a clip.
Thanks, that's a good tip as well. Still, there are cases where both the Clips List and the Workspace Browser fail to highlight a file when you click on one of its clips in the Edit window. Example: if the clip is one half (.L or .R) of a stereo file or a subclip, clicking it in the timeline will not highlight it in the clips list and workspace browser, unless you've expanded (►) the parent clip in the clip list. This is unfortunate, because if you haven't expanded that particular parent, then the only way to find the file is to go through the Clips List visually (Sort by Name) until you see the matching clip name. Not a great user experience. It's weird that this affects the workspace browser at the same time as the clips list, since the browser doesn't even let you expand the parent file.