Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-09-2003, 10:38 AM

Default "v" shaped waveform that "clicks"

first off, i am using an 002 rack on my dual processor g4 with os x and the 6.1 update....i am having a weird problem when i track guitars. when i track, the guitars sound fine. i always track pretty hot, but i am definitely not clipping the channel in PT or at my mic pre, etc. upon playback, there will be these very random clicks or pops, not always, just very sporadically thru the track. when i zoom in on the waveform at the site of the noise, the waveform looks normal at first, but then at the top where it should be round, it is inverted like a "v". it is not the site of a bad punch, 2 regions connecting, a bad crossfade, etc. it is just random in the middle of a large region of guitar...and it happens mulitple times. anyone have any light to shed on this? i am thinking it may be a grounding issue, but i am not sure why it only effects the tracking once in a while, and not constantly. any help would be greatly appreciated. i am sick of going thru and editing all of these clicks out!
Old 08-09-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: "v" shaped waveform that "clicks"

Could be a clock issue.are you recording thru the digital inputs or are you plugging in analog signal directly ? If are you recording into your 002 thru the digital inputs then protools sync should be set to that of the incoming digital signal device.you can select that in your hardwre setup
Old 08-09-2003, 02:48 PM

i am actually only using the analog ins for this recording. so, i am not sure....thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:17 PM

Have you tryed using different cables from guitar to pre,,dose it happen with a different guitar?,,maybe check the wiring in the guitar,,i do mine about once a year especialy the out put jack,,
Also you say you record prety hot,,maybe you are over loading your pre just a tad and it's folding that one spike back on it's self,,theres a term for tis and i had the whole thing explained to me but can't remember the details,,try backing off the gain a little.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:54 AM

If you are not getting overs, you are not overloading the equipment. You would hear it during recording if you overloaded the pre. It may be DC spikes, or clocking errors. DC spikes, you can avoid with a good power conditioner. Clocking errors, you cannot help, since LE hardware cannot accept external clock source.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:56 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

CTedone is on the right track, I think...If your sure you're not having sync issues, and the "click" you're describing is indeed a "v-shaped" (inverted type) waveform, it's probably DC (offset). A good, clean power source is what you need. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]