Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Is Pro Tools Becoming "The DOS" Of DAWs?

Discuss?

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools Becoming "The DOS" Of DAWs?

Personally, I think the first company that builds its own operating system to accompany their DAW software will win milk and cookies.

Something like Linux, stripped down and unbloated...?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 AM

You think plugin vendors have too easy job to manage their versions as of now? Stripped down Linux means plugin development almost goes back to TDM difficulty and if some companies (Waves et al) didn't like shift to AAXDSP what do you think they'd like a completely new environment?

Why do you think Avid is bothering with Mac/Win crossplatform development? Wouldn't it be easier to be Mac only just like it originally was (and what Logic later became) if plugin companies would flock to a closed system?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You think plugin vendors have too easy job to manage their versions as of now? Stripped down Linux means plugin development almost goes back to TDM difficulty and if some companies (Waves et al) didn't like shift to AAXDSP what do you think they'd like a completely new environment?

Why do you think Avid is bothering with Mac/Win crossplatform development? Wouldn't it be easier to be Mac only just like it originally was (and what Logic later became) if plugin companies would flock to a closed system?

It would be a closed, proprietary system. Like if UA or Slate made a DAW that runs their own plugins (no third party).
Old 06-24-2019, 09:22 AM

Why would I want to run a DAW that runs only UA plugs or Slate plugs? Or only Avid plugs? I don't care what operating system that runs on, it's a bad idea.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Discuss?..
I somehow misunderstood 'The DOS' reference. Is that in terms of being old, backwards, stuck in the past.. as the MS-DOS, or as the standard in terms of design, features and functionality that every other DAW tries to emulate and surpass?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 AM

I think it's a great idea!

I've worked hard to arrive at a stage where I view plugins as simple tools. I can pretty much count the number of plugins I use on two hands (I produce mainly rock/pop). Gone are my days of needing the shiniest new toys to play with. Several companies have catalogs that contain everything I need to produce a record. If these companies made their own hardware/OS/DAW it would only be easier for their own programmers to crank out code, and they wouldn't constantly be playing catch-up to the latest hardware/OS/etc..

I understand not having access to every plugin under the sun is a tough pill to swallow for most, but the more I record/mix I find that less is more.

I'll be the first to admit I'm full of bad ideas, tho!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM

So for a pop mixer you would be okay to take your lead vocal track to Melodyne DAW for processing, then bounce it out and import back to Avid DAW for mixing? Just for an example, of course...
Old 06-24-2019, 10:00 AM

No need to bounce in between DAWs, it would have its own proprietary pitch/time algorithms. Duh.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Of course it would, but say you wanted to be using Melodyne for it? Suddnely in this scenario either export/process/import and using 3rd party tool don't look so desirable.. and whoever would be first to try such a closed system would only shoot themselves in a foot big time -- we have so long ago used to choose which tools we wish to use.

Killing 3rd party plugins would kill the DAW to extinction. Demanding that 3rd party would submit their algorithm for a DAW company to be included in tools available isn't going to fly either.