Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2021, 12:07 PM

Default How do I move Sessions from iCloud Drive?

i've been working in 'pro tools' for a few months now but only just realized that i had been saving projects to the 'icloud drive' (which i had not realized was on).

i know that it's best to work off external hard drive, so i wanted to make sure i moved the folders properly without screwing up all the file-paths.

is there a standard procedure anyone knows of to move pro tools project/system files OFF a cloud to either my local drivev or an external drive? are there other pro tools system files saving in some other hidden folder on my local drive? any guidance appreciated...thanks!
Old 10-18-2021, 12:31 PM

Default Re: *iCloud Drive*

Just move it and open the session, if PT does not find the files it asks you to relink. It is most likely pretty much automatic if you have all files in your session folder. Audio files are found based on specific ID written on the header of the audio file.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:29 AM

great...thanks!
Old 10-19-2021, 09:19 AM

If its only a few sessions(or "projects" when they are in the cloud), you could open each and do a "Save Session Copy"(check the box to include audio files) and save copies on a local drive(saving session copies is a good habit to get into anyway because there are too many ways to lose data)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-29-2021, 09:48 AM

great tip...thanks!
Old 10-29-2021, 12:39 PM

Dave's comment is a good one, "Save Session In" should be used a lot more by folks. Just make sure that you then move the old session you were using on iCloud elsewhere, you can move it say into another folder on iCloud. If you don't do that it's very easy to accidentally go back to saving stuff in that session on iCloud. Eventually if you know your local session is working great you can delete that copy off iCloud.

Backing up your local sessions to iCloud can be very useful, for that you can just drag and drop the entire session folder into iCloud. The Save Session In has made sure that everything is in that folder. If you try to backup to iCloud using "Save Session In" you again increase the chance of accidentally opening that session again in Pro Tools. I even prefer to make a local zip copy of a session and then copy that zip file to cloud storage, that can save space, and also makes sure you can't accidently open the session on cloud storage.