Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Computer Noise with Digi Core Audio Manager

Hi, I've just purchased an MBox with LE 6.7 when i use the MBox as my audio outs within any application includine Pro Tools i have a high pitched computer noise coming through. I have reconnected my previous soundcard and this problem goes away so it is specifically with the Digi Core Audio manager as when i quit this it also disappears. I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this issue as i'm going insane trying to solve it. All conections have been swapped and checked. Thanks Add
Old 05-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Computer Noise with Digi Core Audio Manager

as I said on the pc forum , Try a powered usb hub!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:49 PM

I'm coming out of the port from the back of the mac is that not powered? It's one of the ports that come with the mac.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 AM

yes ofcourse it is powered but sometimes that powerline is very noisy, not well shielded. That´s why a powered hub might help it´s saperate from your mac. Without power the m box doesn´t work and if you use an unpowered hub you are using the same noisy power from your mac.
good luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:28 AM

I've just tried a powered USB hub and it has made no difference the problem is still there. When i use headphones out of the MBoz headphone out there is no noise. Any ideas? Its not the speakers as with my old sound card the was no problem.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:59 PM

sorry to hear that, when I had the problem it was also on the headphones out. But just as with you it started with the audio driver.( so no noise when it wasn´t running). I think because there is no noise on the headphones, the noise is comming through the shielding/ground. Sincs the m-box has symetrical outs, you could try connecting it with (if you use symetrical cabling) withouth the earth/shielding connected. Just modifie one cable and only make one connection at that point. If it helps make another one. To exclude a defective m-box you could try it on a different system (a pc maybe) and see if that helps. I f it has the exact same problem, the unit might be the problem.
Good luck!!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 PM

Try using a very short USB-cable. It worked for me, reducing the noise/whine by about 50% to an acceptable level.
It's strange though, that Digi has never recognized this fairly common issue...