Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-25-2020, 04:06 AM

Default Bounce Butler = Awesome

A buddy of mine turned me on to the super cool Bounce Butler software a few days ago, thus I am already using it for automatically exporting audio files, mixes and stems from Pro Tools sessions - and happily subscribed to the software, I am surprised there is not more talk about it...

I believe Reaper may have something like this already, but why o why has Pro Tools not got this. Especially Ultimate which is used by a lot of prolific mix engineers and post-production houses...?

That aside, it is really cool software and well worth checking out https://www.bouncebutler.com/
Old 09-25-2020, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

Looks expensive. Subscription model and tiered pricing in this case seems like a bit of a piss-take.

Ultimate can offline bounce a bunch of outputs at once (not multiple session files, though). It's up to the user to route their stems appropriately. I print stems in real time using PT Native. Since I use UAD2 inserts in my music mixes the offline bounce speed is rarely greater than 1.5x real-time anyway.

I bet this has applications in post that I wouldn't be aware of in my niche but I will say that offline bouncing is a trap. If you aren't listening to your bounces before delivery then you're setting yourself up to look bad. Guaranteed, I would make a mistake setting up the save states, leave the studio and later find out my super convenient unsupervised bounces needed to be redone.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:28 AM

I'd have to see it in action, I can't see how this would help my particular workflow at all.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Looks expensive. Subscription model and tiered pricing in this case seems like a bit of a piss-take.

Ultimate can offline bounce a bunch of outputs at once (not multiple session files, though). It's up to the user to route their stems appropriately. I print stems in real time using PT Native. Since I use UAD2 inserts in my music mixes the offline bounce speed is rarely greater than 1.5x real-time anyway.

I bet this has applications in post that I wouldn't be aware of in my niche but I will say that offline bouncing is a trap. If you aren't listening to your bounces before delivery then you're setting yourself up to look bad. Guaranteed, I would make a mistake setting up the save states, leave the studio and later find out my super convenient unsupervised bounces needed to be redone.
I think it is expensive for what it is, but I don't know the background work involved to get it to work securely - I doubt you do either. That said, $50 a month to be able to bounce stems and mixes when I am not in the studio is totally worth it for me and saves me at least 3 or 4 hours a month. I do 25 to 40 mixes every month, and with each mix is a bounce of full mix, live mix, instrumental (which can't be done via busses) and an acappella - and often even more variations. Time saved is money saved...

Sure, listen to the full mix in realtime, but are you really going to listen to all the variations and not use offline?

My main point though, is why does Pro Tools not have something like this? I believe Reaper does....
Old 09-25-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I'd have to see it in action, I can't see how this would help my particular workflow at all.
Fair play, works very well for me. Already this week I have lined up 2 to 3 hours of exporting. All done when I was out of the studio :)
Old 09-29-2020, 06:42 AM

I'm gonna see if I can patch together the same functionality using AppleScript and Keyboard Maestro (minus text alerts but I can do email).
Old 09-29-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I'm gonna see if I can patch together the same functionality using AppleScript and Keyboard Maestro (minus text alerts but I can do email).
Let us know how it goes...
Old 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Anyone who doesnt listen to things thru before sending them to clients deserves everything they get.....
Old 11-17-2020, 01:04 PM

its a good idea I tested it.. unfortunately with a bounce hang.. the whole thing ended..
getting a lot of bounce hangs...
good thing in general
but the pricing was more than I need now.

ableton has a pretty good multi bounce
drop down options

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 11-17-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
its a good idea I tested it.. unfortunately with a bounce hang.. the whole thing ended..
getting a lot of bounce hangs...
good thing in general
but the pricing was more than I need now.

ableton has a pretty good multi bounce
drop down options
Get in touch with support, I have found they are extremely helpful and a good chance they might be able to help you out.

For the recently released Pro Tools 2020.11 only the Beta version works, because of the new bounce window - the Beta has been solid for me though and also adds MP3 export when bouncing WAVs. Is it possible you have PT 2020.11 with the release version of Bounce Butler? The release version would hang when tried it with PT 2020.11...