Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Streamlining Macbook for pro tools m-powered/academic

I have the Macbook 1.83 CoreDuo 2G ram and a 320G 7200 RPM external fw400 drive with Oxford 911 chipset (as recommended by Digidesign) and OS 10.4.8. The Macbook is my main computer and I'd like to still be able to use it for internet, entertainment etc, while maximizing performance for pro tools. If I create a new user account that's optimized for pro tools with all the non-essential stuff turned off will it affect my current account? Does anyone have any tips for using multiple accounts? I've never used them before in OSX. I read the general troubleshooting tips already and they're great, they just don't address multiple accouts/users.

I'm going to go with the pro tools academic version and an M-audio firewire interface, probably the fw1814 but not sure yet.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Avid

Default Re: Streamlining Macbook for pro tools m-powered/academic

Quote:
If I create a new user account that's optimized for pro tools with all the non-essential stuff turned off will it affect my current account? Does anyone have any tips for using multiple accounts?
They won't affect each other - that's the beauty of it.

As for tips - I think you've got the right idea of just turning off non-essential devices in the Pro Tools profile. You can typically disable any Startup or Login items that aren't Digidesign or Pace related, too.