Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Default ? Source of Mystery Blue-Line Volume Automation

I rely quite heavily on VCA volume automation to control grouped tracks. When VCA Volume Automation controls a group in which a given track resides, that track's volume automation is written with the traditional Black line, with the VCA Volume automation impacting that track rendering as a Blue Line in the Volume Automation lane.

In a large current session, I have mystery volume automation showing as a blue line over a dozen or so tracks. The blue line is nutso huge sawtooth volume swings over certain timeline sections. No VCA controlling those tracks shows volume sawtooths, and there is no Trim Volume sawtooths in either the audio tracks affected, or in any VCA.

It's as though there is a hidden VCA that applies to the affected tracks, and that the VCA has sawtooth volume automation.

When I display only VCA Masters in the track window and observes the VCA tracks, there is now sawtooth movement. What gives here, please?

John Caldwell
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Re: ? Source of Mystery Blue-Line Volume Automation

Composite Playlist.

View menu/Automation/Composite Playlist

Pg. 1105 of ref manual.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanks Drew. The Blue Line automation, crazy as it appeared, disappeared when the VCA channels that controlled those tracks was deleted. Even it retrospect, neither the VCA's Volume or Volume Trim automation explained the radical Blue Line data.

Thanks very much.

John Caldwell
Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Royal View Post
Thanks Drew. The Blue Line automation, crazy as it appeared, disappeared when the VCA channels that controlled those tracks was deleted. Even it retrospect, neither the VCA's Volume or Volume Trim automation explained the radical Blue Line data.

Thanks very much.

John Caldwell
The pref for what happens to Trim automation does explain it. When a VCA is removed, its automation data is Coalesced and the blue line goes away.

Go through the manual, it'll all make sense once you play around with it a bit.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM

Get that. What didn't make sense is that the VCA's automation was quite modest in its volume shifts. The Blue Line was crazy saw tooth that went from negative infinity to positive 8. We have the option of Coalescing VCA automation, or not, at the time of deleting the VCA track, or leaving the VCA in place by Right Clicking the VCA. I use those features heavily.

Thanks for your kind assistance, Drew.

John-