Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Hi Doug Farrar.. sounds pretty good.. production-wise I like what you've done...

otherwise the drums sound (esp. snare) sound a bit thumpy/muddy.. it doesn't have any crack/sizzle to it.. i would try and find the snare in the overheads and emphasize it a touch with EQ... sounds like what i'm hearing is mostly a sm-57 on the snare..

the vocals sound to be a bit stale also... try putting a very short stereo delay on the voc. track (about 10-20ms) and mix it in at about 15-20%.. it will give a bit of air/ambience to it..

i like the snare rolls into the heavier parts.. any tricks on how you did that? i know i hear it all the time, and there must be some trick to it, but every time i've tried to do it, it takes me about a half hour in Reason to create each individual note, and set the velocity for each one...

The voice and the production style remind me of David Crowder..

If you have a chance, check out my latest project at http://myspace.com/saidsower or http://www.saidsower.com ... the production isn't nearly as Poppy as what you have there.. more on the indie side i suppose... but you might like it.. i do!

ta ta
Old 08-16-2006, 07:35 AM

Hi.

My ears are tired and I can't tell the difference between mixes anymore. Can anyone throw me some ideas for tidying this up please?

It is my first post here but don't hold back. I can take it.

Thanks for your time and interest.

So Rock and Roll short version

regards
slh

p.s. this is in mp3 format which I find a bit frustrating. I find I have to "compensate" in the mixing process for it. Anyway...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:

p.s. this is in mp3 format which I find a bit frustrating. I find I have to "compensate" in the mixing process for it. Anyway...
WHY? That makes no sense? Rip it higher than 96 and rip it at 320. High bandwidth these days man. Why are you compensating for a MP3 format at all. Heck, that is a norm with kids who like to ride their bikes down streets with Ipods on, but jesus do your music right and mix for you and your clients ears. MP3 should be the LAST format you should be worried about. Let the kids rip it to MP3 and destroy your mix.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Latest Stuff...

Quote:
Nice scoring Roy! Reminds me a bit of Danny Elfman.
What orchestra sounds do you use?

PS> what if the very last note would have been a low, unison, pizzicato note? Just a thought.

Sweet!

Quote:
I scored a little indie movie recently and wrote this piece for a 'dark and circus-like' scene in it.....very short(about 1:30)...mainly dry cellos and brass. -Roy

Dark Circus

Doug.....I used a combo of ViennaStringOrchestra, Miloslav orchestra, and STII for that....and yes, a low pizzicato note on the end might've been cool.

thanks, Roy
Old 08-17-2006, 12:53 PM

A good friend of mine requested me record her for a Holiday gift to her family. It was recorded in her church.

http://mp3.ehmz.org/Vonda/Clare.mp3

Please Enjoy !

Take Care,
Gene
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM

Way cool!
Good Skate Park music. Come to think of it, good driving music to. Wait a minute, good work music....
Ok, I got it. Good music. Thank you.

R
Old 08-19-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
A good friend of mine requested me record her for a Holiday gift to her family. It was recorded in her church.

http://mp3.ehmz.org/Vonda/Clare.mp3

Please Enjoy !

Take Care,
Gene

Beautiful, Gene...DeBussy is my favorite of them all...that put me in a rather zen-hypno state, and I had to snap out of it to write this... ...well played and recorded.

~Roy
Old 08-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Hey guys!

I posted some link somewhere in this thread way way back, and now I've got a newly completed song. 2 things to note, 1 is that I'm aware that a scream in the bridge needs to be turned down (and I shall do so later today, and this may be updated by the time you listen...) and the other thing is I'm also aware there's a little off-timing in the final chorus, which kinda sounded alright to me (but may be fixed too).

What I'm really happy about is that this is my best Mixing job, as well as my personal new favourite song I've made solo, and I was hoping that someone, anyone, could let me know what they think.

Top Of The Hill

Compared to my past work, I notice improvements, myself. If you can find the old stuff, feel free to compare. Otherwise, just please comment about this mix on it's own.

Thanks

Update: I just posted this and quickly made the changes I said I would above.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 PM

This is a really nice tune Roy.

Great playing.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
This is a really nice tune Roy.

Great playing.

Doug...I'm not sure which song you're referring to, but thank you regardless. ~Roy