Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2022, 06:16 AM

Default Re: activating ilok license manager via proxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Hi Donald
If you have access to another computer that has Internet Explorer,
download and install the latest iLok License Manager on it.
https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager
Do your required authorizing on this computer, then Synchronize your iLok.

I don't see how that will help me fix the issue with iLok on my studio computer? And is IE required to sync iLok in the first place? If so, how have I been able to synch all these years without IE on my studio computer?

The other thing I wondered about is how this happened in the first place. I haven't changed any settings on my PC. Would a Windows update do this? In all I read on the issue there was very little on what would make this happen so it can be avoided before it happens.

It also seems to me that this is something iLok needs to fix so it never happens, or when it does they have an easy app to fix it instead of us having to jump through all these hoops. I'm a musician/composer not a software engineer.

Appreciate your help, John, as always!

Old 02-10-2022, 04:34 PM

When you wrote that you wanted to “update a couple of my iLok licenses for a couple of my subscriptions” – I assumed you meant you needed to “Activate some Available Licenses in ILM” – is this correct?

According to:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...s-unavailable/
Internet Explorer is required to fix “the server is unavailable” error

I don’t know if either of these Proxy Server requirements are applicable:
We get frequent disconnects or failures when using our DigiDelivery server. We use a proxy server for internet connection
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...oting/en333903
Media Composer High-Resolution Workflow Tips
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Workflow-Tips

iLok License Manager needs (Apple’s) Bonjour – which I got from:
Only installing QuickTime Essentials - (Installing the bare minimum QuickTime Components Required for Pro Tools)
https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/apple-q...security-risk/
System Configuration>Services tab>scroll down to “Bonjour Service” and tick the box

iLok License Manager (“Server Connection Error”) needs BitDefender uninstalled:
https://www.ilok.com/#!resource/windows_troubleshooting

That’s why I advised accessing another computer with Internet Explorer installed, just for all your “iLok Licence Manager” tasks.
This is what I have resorted to, because it’s just so much easier.

I used to try and only use Offline Installers – but with today’s “BIG” Sound Libraries Installers and Software Updaters like:
Spectrasonics
Softube Central
Waves Central
Arturia Software Center
Toontrack Product Manager
UVI Portal
iZotope Product Portal, etc.
and some subsequent post-install Online Authorization requirements …
it’s so much easier just to go Online just for these, whilst having Acronis True Image’s “Active Protection” switched ON (& avoid any dodgy sites!)

Once updating/installing is finished, I switch off the Wi-Fi on my laptop and disable everything in Windows System Configuration>Services tab, except for:
Acronis Active Protection ™ Service
Bonjour Service
Mbox Pro Audio Device Monitor (my Interface)
Conexant Audio Message Service (my Onboard Sound)
PACE License Services
(this procedure then requires a computer restart)

So far, so good – (hope I haven’t just invoked a curse!)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor

Last edited by unkJE; 02-11-2022 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added "Proxy Server requirements"
Old 02-11-2022, 04:02 AM

No, John, no curses here! I really appreciate the fuller explanations. I hadn't thought of looking at Sweetwater for explanation...that's good to know. I've got a lot of my stuff from them over the years. I've been there several times...it's quite the place!!

Anyway, I'll try your method, seems to make sense.

THanks again for all your help!

Old 02-11-2022, 07:48 AM

Well, this is turning out to be an absolute mess. I've gone through all 3 of the steps to check recommended by iLok. First, check that PACE license services is running - it is. 2nd, verify good internet connection...mine is top notch, high speed with no issues, 3rd - after finally getting IE back on my studio computer I was able to verify that there is no proxy checked...the box was unchecked and the proxy name field below that was blank, as it should be. So, NONE of those are causing the issue.

I took John's suggestion and downloaded the iLok license manager to another computer, my laptop. I then updated at least one of my licenses using that. However there are 2 UVI Falcon expansions that have to be licensed to the machine I'm actually using in my studio...which is exactly what I am not able to do due to the iLok issue.

That fact that I could update one license off it on my laptop tells me the issue is not with my iLok dongle itself.

So, I'm left with NO IDEA how to fix this. Everything John pointed me to and other places I've checked all point to the same three solutions, none of which apply to my situation, apparently. So it has to be something else. But what?

I've submitted a ticket to iLok for help and sent them screen shots to show that everything they suggested to look for is exactly what it should be. Clearly there is something else that can disrupt the iLok.

I'll keep you all posted if anything new comes up.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
... 3rd - after finally getting IE back on my studio computer I was able to verify that there is no proxy checked...the box was unchecked and the proxy name field below that was blank, as it should be. So, NONE of those are causing the issue. ..
I’ve never used a Proxy Server, but this is O.P. robertkwild’s Fix from earlier in this Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkwild View Post
... trying to login to "ilok license manager" and im going through a proxy as this machine hasnt got internet ... i get a "internet connection unavailable" but i dont know why as i have enabled the below url and port enabled on my proxy

activation.paceap.com
port 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkwild View Post
in the end I got it working, I needed to add the url "activation.paceap.com" to the whitelist websites and also to the no ssl interception as i think it was not downloading the ssl cert for it

Quote:
... there are 2 UVI Falcon expansions that have to be licensed to the machine I'm actually using in my studio...which is exactly what I am not able to do due to the iLok issue ...
Try adding 2 UVI Expansion activations to your iLok:
https://support.uvi.net/hc/en-us/art...ple-Computers-
"Any UVI product registered after March 25, 2014 includes a license with 3 activations. This means you can activate the license on up to 3 locations simultaneously (any combination of computers and iLok dongles)."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/UVI/ins...ansions_en.pdf
"To manage your Soundbank location, open the Preferences panel of UVI Portal, or Soundbanks Tab in Preferences panel of the UVI Workstation or Falcon"
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 02-12-2022, 09:51 AM

Thank you again, John. It wouldn't have occurred to me to even look for something like that about UVI.

Update on iLok. To their credit, I received a response email from them literally within an hour. They needed more info and had me copy and send some log files and such, which I did immediately. Then, they came back later and asked me to connect to a couple of website links they provided and send them screen shots of what showed on my screen when I connected, which I did. By then it was late afternoon their time and we still hadn't solved the issue.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the iLok LM didn't fix it either. So, I still have the issue. And between now and a week from Monday my studio time will be virtually non-existent, as I'll be traveling all next week.

I still don't understand how this issue even happens, though. I mean, we're required to use iLok in order to use most of our music software. You'd think making it so that it could always connect to the mother ship would be basic. Instead, some small change, caused by something in the background by who knows what, can bring the whole process to a screeching halt. C'mon...this is ridiculous. And then, no one seems to be able to identify the cause. I"m sorry, but I see NO EXCUSE for this.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
... Uninstalling and reinstalling the iLok LM didn't fix it either...
Sometimes a "deep clean" finds more stuff that should be removed.
If you didn’t take these extra steps, it may be worthwhile to re-uninstall:

(1) Uninstall iLok License Manager in Windows Program and Features
(2) Run the free CCleaner
(3) Restart computer
(4) Run CCleaner Registry - “Scan for Issues”, “Review selected Issues”, “backup registry”, “save backup”, “Fix All Selected Issues”, “Close”
(5) Repeat step 4 to see if more Issues are found – this may need repeating 3 or 4 times before it’s all done. (For me, this fixes all but one Issue, which I right-click and select “Add to Exclude List”)
(6) Restart computer
(7) Reinstall iLok License Manager
(8) Restart computer
(9) Launch Pro Tools

Also:
While you’re waiting on iLok, did you try O.P. robertkwild’s Fix?
Old 02-14-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Sometimes a "deep clean" finds more stuff that should be removed.
If you didn’t take these extra steps, it may be worthwhile to re-uninstall:

(2) Run the free CCleaner
(3) Restart computer
(4) Run CCleaner Registry - “Scan for Issues”, “Review selected Issues”, “backup registry”, “save backup”, “Fix All Selected Issues”, “Close”
(5) Repeat step 4 to see if more Issues are found – this may need repeating 3 or 4 times before it’s all done. (For me, this fixes all but one Issue, which I right-click and select “Add to Exclude List”)
(6) Restart computer
(7) Reinstall iLok License Manager
(8) Restart computer
(9) Launch Pro Tools

Also:
While you’re waiting on iLok, did you try O.P. robertkwild’s Fix?

Thanks again, John. Yes, the first thing I did was what Robert mentioned in the OP along with the 3 steps iLok had on their troubleshooting page. All to no avail.

Hadn't thought of using CC cleaner, though.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Sometimes a "deep clean" finds more stuff that should be removed...
Apologies - I overlooked Windows Device Manager – so here’s a “deeper clean":

(2) Restart computer
(3) In Windows Device Manager, click on: View>Show hidden devices>Dongles
(4) If you see “iLok”, right-click on it and select Properties>Driver tab>select last button: Uninstall Device - Uninstall the device from the System (Advanced)
(5) Repeat above sequence for every “iLok” shown in Device Manager
(6) Restart computer
(7) Run the free CCleaner
(8) Restart computer
(9) Run CCleaner Registry - “Scan for Issues”, “Review selected Issues”, “backup registry”, “save backup”, “Fix All Selected Issues”, “Close”
(10) Repeat step 9 to see if more Issues are found – this may need repeating 3 or 4 times before it’s all done. (For me, this fixes all but one Issue, which I right-click and select “Add to Exclude List”)
(11) Restart computer
(12) Reinstall iLok License Manager
(13) Restart computer
(14) Launch Pro Tools
Old 02-16-2022, 02:18 PM

Thanks John.

Update from iLok. After several emails back and forth from their tech guys, asking me to do this and that the last one said they really have no idea why this has happened. The only thing they can surmise is that one of the recent Windows 10 updates corrupted some file necessary to allow the connection. They did say I could use my laptop to update licenses and then just transfer the iLok back to my studio PC...but that's a workaround, not the solution to the issue.
I won't be able to do anything about any of it until the weekend as I'm away from studio for a few days.

I'll try your suggestions then as well.

Thanks again my friend.