Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Re: CPU spikes? NO! ***sigh*** yes.

Hi don't remember if mentioned but check your Bios settings . All power management related must be disabled and setup your ram clock and timings according to your specs .
Old 11-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Thanks, everyone.
Some more good stuff to look into here.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 AM

Hey everyone. Still no luck with this, despite having tried everything.

I have a session coming in on Monday and it's looking like I'm gonna have to use Studio One for it. That'll be an interesting trial by fire.
Earlier in the thread someone suggested I put up some clips of what I'm experiencing to see if it jogs anyone's memory. Here are two links to two separate private videos on YouTube.

The bizarre new fact that I learned is that the bounces are completely clean but the real-time playback is horrible.

In order to demonstrate exactly what I'm hearing, I just took iPhone videos...since you wouldn't otherwise hear the problem from just a bounce.

During the bounce in real-time: https://youtu.be/LANbXSMoV28

The actual bounced file: https://youtu.be/FfXME8AFHRM

Any insights are appreciated. I am at a total loss, as is Avid Tech Support, to whom I will also send these links. Thankfully Studio One is working so I'm not totally dead. I have some mixes in PT almost done, but it works at really big buffer sizes so tracking is that only thing I can't do.

I hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:50 AM

Quick update...

Went into BIOS again...found one setting that I'd missed before...something about memory performance enhancement. I changed it from TURBO to NORMAL.

I also RE-enabled hyperthreading. (had disabled it for troubleshooting)

Loaded windows and PT, ran perfectly. Then I realized I was at a 1024 buffer, so quit protools, changed buffer size in RME software (you can't do it within PT) to 128 (@88.2) reloaded and everything was totally fine.

Then I quit protools, reloaded it with the same session and the problem is back, albeit not QUITE as bad.

I've not been able to replicate it.

This is all so friggin arbitrary. How's a person supposed to apply anything even resembling a scientific method when repeating the same tasks gets a different result every time...but really just ALMOST every time?

To be clear...protools was performing exactly perfectly. Then I exited PT. Ran PT, loaded the same session, problem returned. Changed nothing.

Last edited by thepontif; 11-24-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 PM

Have you tried recording to tracks ? To a separate drive?
If you’re doing real-time bounce, record to track is safer.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 PM

Hi friend !

Comes to mind , check your motherboard for any integrated switch that controls Power management and turbo settings . My asus Mobo asus have them and of course i have them disabled .
Old 11-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Do you have the latest RME drivers? I too used to have to close and reopen Pro Tools while changing the buffer size in my UFXs control panel, but yesterday I left Pro Tools open, opened the UFXs control panel, changed the buffer size from 34 to 128 and it changed immediately in Pro Tools. I could always change the sample rate from within Pro Tools, but now I can change the buffer size, albeit still outside Pro Tools, but I don't have to close and then reopen Pro Tools to do it.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-25-2018, 08:17 PM

Hey. Thanks for the suggestions. Scoured the BIOS some more. Checked all of the various things you all suggested.

The Weed...I'm not able to change my buffer size within PT, although I do have the most recent RME drivers.

As inexplicably as it came, it has apparently gone. At least for now.

The only semi-quantifiable correlation to anything that I can make is...wait for it...

Finale.

I can not explain it and I'm not swearing that was the issue. All I know is that this evening, for the first time in a while, I was working in Finale writing some music for a concert I'm doing at NAMM. I was writing and playing back via whatever instrument...can't remember. It think it might have been the wavetable synth. Dunno.

After frying my brain from writing, I quit Finale and loaded up studio one to do some screwing around with some loops and the CPU meter was pegged. and playback was way screwy...like protools was but worse. I quit and restarted and it was fine.

Then I loaded up protools with the session I was using. 52 channels (combination of mono, stereo, aux ins, instruments, lots of bussing) including 4 instances of NI Komplete Kontrol, one of Keyscape and lots of plugs from Waves, NI, UA, and PSP.

128 samples at 88.2 and clean as a whistle. Opened and closed a few times without trouble.

Of course, all this after I spent a couple hours preparing files to import into Studio One for my session tomorrow. lol

Isn't this called "the winner's curse" or something?
I'll update you guys if I can correlate anything in a more compelling way.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 AM

Chapter Two...

This morning PT was back to its old tricks for no apparent reason.

However, I loaded Finale, played back my file, closed. Loaded Studio One, CPU meter was pegged and playback weird. Closed and reopened, it was fine. Opened PT back up, and it is fine.

Simple, right? It's clearly just the turboencabulator.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM

"The Weed...I'm not able to change my buffer size within PT, although I do have the most recent RME drivers."

Not quite what I said: "...yesterday I left Pro Tools open, opened the UFXs control panel, changed the buffer size from 34 to 128 and it changed immediately in Pro Tools."
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction