Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Miroslav Philharmonik... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How is using one instance of Sampletank 3 with multiple instruments stealing screen space versus keyswitching? You have only one gui instance in each case. And if you're talking screen space in the daw - that's not an issue. Ever hear of scroll bars? Besides in PT you can make track height whatever you want it to be. Non-issue.
I'm with topazuk on this.. having one instrument track with several articulations triggered with KS is the way to go. It's way less confusing (for me anyway) and more streamlined, which is how I like things to be.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazuk View Post
Because where as you need 16 tracks for 16 articulations a KS instrument only needs 1.

its quite simply really, isn't it ?
Imagine trying to find your keyswitches in that single track if you want to change from one articulation to another. Not easy or simple. I find it easier having each articulation on a separate track. Besides Miroslav for ST3 doesn't have that many articulations for any one instrument so get real.

QAPLA!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:57 PM

No worries, I use a custom made lemur setup on ipad do I can touch buttons with all the articulation names on screen
Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Imagine trying to find your keyswitches in that single track if you want to change from one articulation to another. Not easy or simple. I find it easier having each articulation on a separate track. Besides Miroslav for ST3 doesn't have that many articulations for any one instrument so get real.
I use Logic 10.0.7 so I might be one step ahead of you guys in terms of MIDI flexibility but check out this video: http://youtu.be/P7gqsCzxY8M

I use a SINGLE instance of any articulation instrument at all times, it's a beautiful thing. Contrary to what you said about the articulations, there are actually a lot of articulation patches within Miroslav to choose from, and there are also the Special Performance patches which are really cool as well. Audio Grocery (the maker of the MIDI effect script in the video) actually made an 'advanced' version where you can expand the maps if you need more than 16 channels of articulations, so you're not confined to just 16. Also, I can do much more besides just switching articulations, I can also adjust the swells and vibrato, all within the same map.

When I need to do any articulation switching, it's as simple as drawing in automation. This is kind of like when you're writing out a score with pen/paper or Sibelius, and you write out the articulation for the musician to play. It's faster for me to just draw it in simply by moving the automation nodes around versus 'playing in' the articulation. I have each articulation custom-named and they are very easy to see/read. I have a bunch of these instruments saved as templates within the plugin so whenever I need them, all I need to do is choose which one I need from the folder. Everything is fast, efficient, streamlined, uncluttered. The way it should be.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The original 32-bit player never had keyswitch so what seems like 10 years later we finally get sampletank version 3 and it still has no key switching.
http://i.imgur.com/z1gDm5c.png
Old 12-19-2014, 04:49 PM

And ?

They cannot be customised, they are hard coded. What's the use of that.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:53 PM

... And that's the keyswitching in SampleTank 3.

Sorry, I thought you said ST3 had no keyswitching, so I thought it would help to show you.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:56 PM

It has keyswitching in patches ik have programmed.

You cant programme your own.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
It has keyswitching in patches ik have programmed.

You cant programme your own.
I understand that's been asked about in the 'features request' for Sampletank 3. Might want to add your voice to that.

QAPLA!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM

I asked many many times before and after release.

But sampletank 3 doesn't even support host automation ( only the hard coded 8 macros ) so I don't hold out much hope.