Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Default SC48 Ethernet Control Issues

I have an SC 48 at Monitors and a D-Show at FOH. The D-show is software version 2.8.2 and the SC 48 is software version 2.9.0. I plan to update to 3.0 when the new budget year rolls around, but haven't been able to do so yet.

Anyhow, I installed an Ethernet card onto my D-Show, and downloaded the most recent version of the software (version 2) to install on both consoles. Using COTVNC, I can connect to the D-Show, but not the SC48. Since there was not a "drop" put in at the Monitor position for Ethernet, I ran the line line through an Ethernet Patch bay that Clair Brothers installed when we built this building in late 2011. The patch bay passes Aviom signal, and using the Patch pay, I can get an IP address vai DHCP, but I cannot Ping the SC48 or connect via COTVNC.

My questions, I guess, are these:1. Is there an issue with the downloaded install of the ECx Ethernet Control Software using version 2 with my SC48; 2. Is there a way to tell if the install failed when installing the ECx Software; 3. Is there something I am missing not related to a network issue?

If I can make sure that I have done everything leading up to the network, then I think I can convince my IT Admin to work with me to get a solution that works without using the Patch Bay.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Re: SC48 Ethernet Control Issues

Try plugging in your computer directly to the ethernet port of the SC48 and assign a static IP address on the same subnet to both the computer's ethernet card and the SC48. Something like 192.168.0.1 to the computer and 192.168.0.2 to the SC48 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. You can leave the router/gateway field blank. Then try to ping & remote control your SC48. If it doesn't work like that, you've got a hardware or driver issue with the desk. If it does work, then it's something network related. It seems if you can get an IP address from the network's router/DHCP server, it should work. But configuration issues could prevent things from working as expected.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM

You should be fine with that version of the ECx software.

I'd like to confirm that the SC48 is not connected TO the Aviom Unit, or rather the Vaiom distro. Correct?

Just to be sure, what IP address are you getting on the SC48? If it is a 169.x.x.x IP, the host is not reaching the DHCP server. As far as I recall, AVID has blocked the ability to "ping" their VENUE consoles. I have tried this before and it is true.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM

Thanks guys, trying this again. I updated my SC48 to the most recent 2.9.1 software to see if there were any bug fixes, and still no luck. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the ECx software.

I connected the computer to the ethernet port using both a crossover and standard cable, with no change. I can configure the console to 192.168.0.2 with my computer as the default gateway, and set the computer to the same "router", and after a while my computer says connected and the console also connects but doesn't ping and isn't accessible via vnc.

Ken as to the DHCP info. It makes a connection, gets a valid IP (10.30.3.56) whereas when no cable is in it generates a 169.256.0.something number. My IT Admin thought the cable distance might be an issue so we added a switch into the mix, and while I can use my computer to connect to the internet, I still cannot use the console.

It is possible the port is bad, I suppose. We got this console when we moved to our new Worship center back in September, and it has not been connected to the network until this last week. My only hesitancy with calling support is having to pay to talk to someone about something that may not a hardware issue, and if it is, do I have to pay for a call to repair something less than a year old? All this to cut down on mid week volunteers...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Avid

Blake,

If the SC48 gets a valid IP when using DHCP that sounds like the port isn't bad. Have you tried setting everything to DHCP, then restarting both machines (VENUE and client computer)?

If you're using Manual (static) IP then you will also need to configure the network settings on the client side, which is explained in the ECx Guide: http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_69772.pdf

Finally, if you're still having problems then you should call the number on the Support Hotline lanyard card that came with the SC48.

-Rich