Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 AM

Default Protools support, Im stuck =(

Hey guys!

Im trying to help an older lady over the phone. She is recording texts in protools and she has done that for some years now. Recently she bought a new computer and I helped here install everything again over the phone so she is not completly lost when it comes to computers but now Im bit stuck and hoping for some tips and tricks. The problem is that she is living in a small town with no real support and I live 2 hours away from her.

Here is the problem.
Everything works allright beside that the program is running slowly. It takes about a sec for playback and even 1,5 sec for doing a simple region split. Changing the buffersize aint helping. No plugins are being used but they are loaded. Only the standard plugins are loaded (the ones that are on the PTLE 7.0 install disc)

Any help would be appriciated. Im an old PT user since the late 90s but Im not using PT myself anymore so Its hard for me to help her out. I might visit her later and then I want to be preperd so any help would be awsome! If you have any idea please be as detailed as possible so I can guide her.

Thanks

Windows XP Pro 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Hewlett packard
Intel(r) core TM 2 duo cpu
e7300 2,66GHz
3,46 GB RAM
PAE

Hardware:
Mbox 2 (usb)

Software:
PT LE 7.0

note: I heard that IE8 can couse problems. I think she has IE8 installed even if she doesnt use it. The computer aint connected to Internet.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Protools support, Im stuck =(

Yes, if IE8 is installed, you're lucky that PT is even launching. That's the first thing, uninstall IE8. It has nothing to do with whether or not it's being used, having it on the machine causes MANY problems.
Are we recording to a separate hard drive here?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:35 AM

definitely have her get rid of IE8, she can do it with add/remove programs.

Then you need to have her post a sandra report
Old 11-23-2009, 06:36 AM

I would also go into Preferences and set the disk usage to something that is more in line with what she will actually use (10 min, 30 min, etc.). It will default to use the entire disk. This often causes lags of the type you are describing.
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jep View Post
Hey guys!

Im trying to help an older lady over the phone. She is recording texts in protools and she has done that for some years now. Recently she bought a new computer and I helped here install everything again over the phone so she is not completly lost when it comes to computers but now Im bit stuck and hoping for some tips and tricks. The problem is that she is living in a small town with no real support and I live 2 hours away from her.

Here is the problem.
Everything works allright beside that the program is running slowly. It takes about a sec for playback and even 1,5 sec for doing a simple region split. Changing the buffersize aint helping. No plugins are being used but they are loaded. Only the standard plugins are loaded (the ones that are on the PTLE 7.0 install disc)

Any help would be appriciated. Im an old PT user since the late 90s but Im not using PT myself anymore so Its hard for me to help her out. I might visit her later and then I want to be preperd so any help would be awsome! If you have any idea please be as detailed as possible so I can guide her.

Thanks

Windows XP Pro 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Hewlett packard
Intel(r) core TM 2 duo cpu
e7300 2,66GHz
3,46 GB RAM
PAE

Hardware:
Mbox 2 (usb)

Software:
PT LE 7.0

note: I heard that IE8 can couse problems. I think she has IE8 installed even if she doesnt use it. The computer aint connected to Internet.
For such a simple, over dub task why not use a more robust and reliable DAW that can easily get the job done.

Um... Reaper, Vegas, ACID - the list can go on and on.

I prefer reliability, stability and efficiency over any other "work flow option".
Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbruff View Post
For such a simple, over dub task why not use a more robust and reliable DAW that can easily get the job done.

I prefer reliability, stability and efficiency over any other "work flow option".
Thatz wonderful but the old lady has PT & needs help with that...

Uninstall IE8 as said for starters...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbruff View Post

Pro Tools is reliable and stable for me. A little behind on features, but not unreliable or unstable.

To the OP, try to walk her through a Sandra report and post it. That will bring more to light.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Googling seems to indicate that the chipset in that HP 7900 is the Intel Q43 or Q45 Express. That don't sound compatible to me. I could be wrong.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 PM

It's hard to know for sure about the chipset as these computers are made in various forms. The chipsets with built in graphics such as the Q43/45 are known to be problematic with Pro Tools but installing a cheap video card can sometimes fix the problem.

Again a Sandra report will tell us more.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jep View Post
Here is the problem.
Hi.

My friend was having the exact same problem and it turned out that he was storing all his projects in a folder he had designated Windows to
"Compress contents to save disk space." Doing that makes Windows have to uncompress/compress all the files whenever they are read or modified.

Instructions for enabling/disabling the compression is as follows (stolen from somwhere)

1. Right-click the file or folder and choose Properties from the context menu. Windows displays the Properties dialog box for the file or folder.

2. On the General page, click the Advanced button. Windows displays the Advanced Attributes dialog box .

3. Select the Compress Contents to Save Disk Space check box.

4. Click the OK button. Windows closes the Advanced Attributes dialog box.

5. Click the OK button. Windows closes the Properties dialog box. To uncompress a file or folder, repeat this procedure but clear the Compress Contents to Save Disk Space check box.

Hope that helps