Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Can Pro Tools Trigger my iPad synths.

I’m looking to use the synth sounds on my ipad. What I want to do is use the midi sequence I have from my pro tools session to play the Moog apps I own. I have a camera adapter and use my Akai MPK mini with the iPad so I know midi into the iPad is possible. The big question is how can I get midi out from pro tools? My intention is to use analog audio from the iPad through my console (maybe a mic’ed amp first) to get back into Pro Tools. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Can Pro Tools Trigger my iPad synths.

You can get MIDI out of Pro Tools. Described in detail in the Reference Guide, have you started there?

To get that into an iPad, also not hard... but messy and it's unclear how much you know about this/have set up already.

This is really not a forum to step you through a lot of steps and you are missing key info here for people to help you. Starting with what computer/OS are you on? (Macbook with Pro Tools 9? from your profile). You will likely get better help if you find instructions (search the Web and YouTube) and try to follow them and ask for help if stuck and state exactly where what instructions you are following and where you are stuck.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you want to record the audio back into Pro Tools? Is it to play the iPad instrument as a live accompaniment?

And more of the why... there are lots of really really great synth VIs for Pro Tools, some included with the software. Have you though about just using them?

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, e.g. you can use use the iPad Moog Synth plugins on your iPad in Garage Band. Automate them there, send that audio recording to Pro Tools, etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-10-2019 at 05:47 PM.