Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 AM

Default Generating Time Code while Bouncing to Disk

Hi to all,

I want to bounce a 6.1 session to disk and at the same time to record it in sync on a DA-78, but if I bounce to disk the session SYNC I/O doesn't generate any TC or MTC. Why? Am I missing something? It seems it'snot possible to bounce and record in sync at the same time.

If not why DIGI doesn't implement this option? Maybe it need only a flash upgrade for the SYNC I/O.....
Now I have to bounce the session and then record it on the DA wasting the double of time.

Please Digi....
Old 03-23-2004, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Generating Time Code while Bouncing to Disk

record some timecode on one of the session's audio track and route that to another output so that it's not on the main buss, and use that sync to drive your DA78...
Old 03-23-2004, 03:01 AM

Thanks, but this doesn't solve the problem... you're still wasting time recording 1 track of TC (eg. 1 hour) and then wait another hour to record the session. Then it's better first bounce then record on the DA; it' always 2 hours of work...

If I could generate TC while bouncing I could record a master (on disk) and a backup copy (on the DA) at the same time! So I could double the work in half the time; this way I could charge a little bit more per hour to the client and use only 1 hour to do the work of 2 hours; the client would get 2 hours of works for a little bit less per hour than other studios that are not using PT....

E.g. (not reflecting real costs, just for exemple)
Standard Rate per hour = € 100
Bouncing AND THEN Tape Recording (2 hours of work) = € 200
Bouncing WHILE Tape recording (1 hour of work) = € 150
Cost to the client (2 works) = € 75 per work (25% less that standard rate)
2 hours of studio work at € 150 per hour = € 300 (50% more than standard rate)

Both the client and the studio would benefit from this.......Hey PT is an expensive system

Old 03-23-2004, 04:27 AM

Instead of bouncing to disk, why don't you bus your mix and record it into Pro Tools, whilst generating code and recording the Tascam at the same time.