Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Going from PAL 25fps to Film 24fps

All,

Again I'd like to learn from your experience for:

The absolute best device (hardware or plugins) for expanding/lengthening stereo track (up to 20 min long) without sacrifing stereo image.

I've try Digi Time Expand and Serato with no luck.

Thanks.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 03-31-2003, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Going from PAL 25fps to Film 24fps

Bokir,
from your post, it is obvious you'd like to stretch LtRt master and to slow it down for 4,1%.
Quote:
I've try Digi Time Expand and Serato with no luck.
No wonder, as Digi works acceptable on dialogues, while massacring music. At the same time, Serato works great on music, but introduces phasing to dialogue and hissy ambiences, like wind and waves.
A true legend in this area is LEXICON 2400, but it's discontinued.
A French company GENESIS makes a processor called HARMO, which is a pitch-shifter that keeps the phase relationship between channels intact (essential for LtRt) and produces almost no audible artifacts. It has a small problem with excessive low frequency contents (below 50Hz, the level tracking is lousy), but otherwise sounds fantastic. It will also set you back for some 10-12 K (Euros), which is not a small price to pay for a box you use once in a while. I bought one, and I'm still suffering...
To make things more interesting, Dolby announced a new box that shifts 8 Channels simultaneosly, probably at a lower price. Using this, you can harmonize 6-track and 2-track LtRt in one pass. Combine this with DMU, and you cut the print-mastering time to half.
Hope this helps
Branko
Old 03-31-2003, 05:24 PM

Bokir-
Please clarify one point- Is it esential to maintain Pitch in what you re trying to accomplish? If so, then I agree with Branko, except that i have had some decent experiences with Serato's Pitch n Time 2....
If Pitch is not essential , Then Grab a PTHD system, enable "Auto Match Pull Factors" (Located in the TC rate selection window) and changeyour session form 25 to 24 fr. re-sync to your Master Picture, and you're done.
-Todd A.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:15 AM

It's really a bless to know you both.

I have to say my experience is about the same with Branko. Except, I also suffer bass phase problem on either both.
Does Lexicon 2400 really the winner?

Chinese:
Maintaining pitch is what we after, else we would be find with the normal (un-altered) version.
About your HD suggestion, unfortunately I don't have any plan to upgrade my PT Mix for the moment.

MORE QUESTION:
Is there anyway I can use different sample rate (+4%) when acquiring (recording)? Any catch with this approach?
Ofcourse it would make recording rather complex issue with musician. Hmmm ...

Thank you.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 04-02-2003, 02:23 PM

Bokir,
First of all, IMHO, the winner is HARMO, as it really works great on various materials. It is a bit pricey, though...
Changing the sample rate is equal to varispeeding the program. This is, actually, what I do - I pull down the clock by 4.1% using the Rosendahl Nanosyncs (which is my master clock) and run the program through HARMO to pull up the pitch by the same 4.1%. This processor has inputs and outputs locked to completely independant clocks (configurable), which is very important, as it has only digital in/out. The result of this processing is stretched program, at a correct pitch, suitable for 24 fps cinema playback.
Branko
Old 04-03-2003, 06:56 AM

Branko:
Would you kindly tell me how much the HARMO cost you. And where you get it. I couldn't find enough information beside from their website.

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2003, 02:59 PM

I bought it directly from GENESIS, and it has set us back for some 12.000 Euros! Yoicks! I still feel the pain...
Branko