Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 03:31 PM

Default HELP PLEASE

Hello:

We have a PT session V5, that was recorded straight into Pro Tools live during a video shoot with PT (SMPTE) locked from the video decks (or locked from somewhere in the video world).

How can we conform the audio after the video is edited for the audio post?

Thanks in advance-
Tom
Old 04-30-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: HELP PLEASE

Hi
Your picture department will give you an EDL that you'll then open up in Post Conform or Titan (my preferred app) and that will conform your original PT audio to the audio used by the pix dept (whatever that may be). No big whoop.

Hope this helps, good luck!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 04-30-2004, 07:41 PM

Thanks! I'll look into both of those.

Post Conform is no longer made correct?

Old 05-01-2004, 02:05 AM

Ok so I see PostConform is 'out of print' and Titan is $2000 which cannot be justified for this project.

Does anyone know if I can import an EDL into FCP or Avid Xpress, place the SD II files on that system's hard drive and conform from there?

Thanks in advance-
Tom
Old 05-01-2004, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Ok so I see PostConform is 'out of print' and Titan is $2000 which cannot be justified for this project.

Does anyone know if I can import an EDL into FCP or Avid Xpress, place the SD II files on that system's hard drive and conform from there?

Thanks in advance-
Tom
these apps can not conform from disk only from tapes...

frank.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:35 AM

You may be stuck hand conforming. If so, it's tedious work. Hopefully your timecode matches the shoot.

Get an Audio Only EDL and an OMF from the Video dept.
Use the Omf as a guide. If OMF isn't available, get an accurate guide track. Work in grid mode, set to 1 frame.
You have source and record timecode on the EDL. The source is where you'll find the elements, the record time is where to place them. You'll have to type in every timecode number, so be patient.

Sometimes I will do an offset of my source tracks. Example,
The original record times and the EDL record times are in the same timecode area. So, Move your Source tracks down by an hour or two, and make that mental offset as you are conforming. (I hope that makes sense).

Since you will be needing to zoom in and out alot, Spend a minute up front to set useable Zoom presets. And if you use Quickkeys, you may be able to macro some things like cut and paste into single keystrokes. (never tried it).

Hopefully for you, (and me the next time I face this issue), someone on the DUC has found a better way to do this.

Frank
Old 05-01-2004, 10:58 AM

For the type of editing you describe, Sonic Solutions is a better system (four point editing).

Anyway, we're Pro Tools users, not Sonic users, so that's moot.

There is, in theory, a way to do this. It requires two PT systems, one of which must be OS 9 for PostConform. The second system must have MachineControl. The second system would be, essentially, your tape machine (machine control in remote mode). The system with PostConform then drives the PT system with the MachineControl option installed (this is where your session with all of your audio is). I have never tried such a thing, but there is a first time for everything.

I happen to have multiple PT systems with MachineControl and PostConform.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:58 PM

WOW! I'm shocked there is no way to conform audio files! It this really true! What about transfering these to beta decks or DA-XXs???

TS
Old 05-02-2004, 07:15 AM

Quote:
WOW! I'm shocked there is no way to conform audio files!
Well, there's the theoretical setup I described above.

Quote:
It this really true! What about transfering these to beta decks or DA-XXs???
Well, even if you transfer them to tape, you still need to PostConform them. My theoretical setup eliminates the step of having to transfer them to tape. Having to conform from tape will take a lot longer than conforming from another PT system (simply because tape is linear and you have to shuttle it around).
Old 05-02-2004, 10:29 AM

Hey Chief!

I think your idea is awesome! I love doing those kinds of things. Only one problem we got to deal with idiots that will say 2 PRO TOOLS SYSTEMS?

The point is we are doing 13 shows for PBS and the producer wants to back the show up in PT - live while they are going to Beta. I really don't know about doing it that way, I never have. They are concerned about losing audio on the beta decks.

What do you think?

btw thanks for your input, much appreciated.

TS