Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM

Default Session Template Question

When I create a session using a session template, the session folder is created on the designated Record disk, as expected. In the session folder is the expected Audio Files folder.
But when I record into the session, the audio files do not go into that Audio Files folder, but into an audio files folder out on the top level of the Record Drive.

How do I get the recorded audio to go the desired Audio Files folder. (When Creating the template, the project did not exist, so I could not designate that folder!). How is it done??

Thanks!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Session Template Question

Hi check the disk allocation within the session . I think it would have pointing to a pre-fixed place ( not shure ) .
Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 PM

Go into your template and look at disk allocation. Make sure "custom allocation options" is not checked in your template.

If it is checked, it will send all files to one directory (for anything using that template) that you specify as the root directory.

If it is not checked, it will do Pro Tools default behaviour and record to the session's own folders next to where the session is saved.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 AM

nope. no matter which way i set disk allocation (customize option), the newly created session will not put new audio in an audio folder with the session...it creates an audio folder out on the same level as the session folder.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 AM

Have you tried Save Copy In, select the drive you want, then open that new session?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastula View Post
nope. no matter which way i set disk allocation (customize option), the newly created session will not put new audio in an audio folder with the session...it creates an audio folder out on the same level as the session folder.
Can you post a screenshot of your template's disk allocation?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Can you post a screenshot of your template's disk allocation?
Here’s why that question confuses me. (and my confusion with the topic, in general)

A Template is created from a Session (call it Session A) using the Create Template command.

Then, a session (call it Session B) can be created using that Template file

I can view disc allocation for session A or for Session B, but don’t have a way to view disc allocation for an actual Template file.

Besides, given that Pro Tools likes to keep a session’s audio files in an Audio Files Folder inside the Session Folder, the disc allocation for Session A is not going to work for Session B, unless there is an over-riding option like “Place New Audio Files folder in New Session Folder”...which doesn’t seem to exist.

Is this making sense?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:54 AM

PS
Frankly without the above-mentioned non-existent common sense command (“Place New Audio Files folder inside New Session folder”), I don’t even understand the practicality of templates. I do see that the workaround of using Save a Copy As would work, but..... really? I must be missing something.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:09 AM

(Note: In my opinion, you should not use templates unless you can recreate the template on your own)

Try this:
1. Delete your existing template that isn't working properly.
2. Open the parent session that you wish to use as the template.
3. Open Disk Allocation window (under Setup menu)
4. Un-Check the "Custom Allocation Options" box
5. Make sure "Use round robin..." is also un-checked.
6. Click "OK" in the Disk Allocation Window.
7. Save the session
8. Save as a template
9. Make a new session using your new template.
10. Report back to this thread with your results.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastula View Post
I can view disc allocation for session A or for Session B, but don’t have a way to view disc allocation for an actual Template file....

Change the file suffix from .ptxt to .ptx, then you can open the file, alter whatever needs altering, save it, then change its suffix back to .ptxt

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6