Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Re: WHEN IS LEOPARD SUPPORT COMING?!?!

Quote:
I...now the fun time is temporarily taken away. what can I do instead! may be drgs can fill up the space. may be when Leopard support comes out I will have stopped waiting for it because I will have turned into a junky, and I will hear music in my head all the time. la la la Kewl.

Hmmmmm
Huh? Nothing has been "taken away". If you are sittting there twiddling your thumbs until Leopard support comes out, you have no one to blame but yourself.

The only people the delay should affect are those who desparately need to upgrade an older Mac (like REALLY old), or new users who have never used PTLE before and have to run Leopard on their new hardware. You've been using PTLE for some time, so what is making it impossible to make music on your current system? Did it work six months ago? Why isn't it STILL working?

Yeah, I'd like to upgrade my hardware, but in the meantime, I'm still making radio-ready stuff and have a regular stream of clients (not ONE of whom has demanded I upgrade to Leopard). No downtime for me. I want Leopard compatibility when I know it will work dependably in front of paying clients - and not before.

If you want flakey software with Leopard, check the Logic forums. Even Apple can't get it right with their OWN software: CPU overloads (19 pages of complaints!) and sluggish performance with Logic Pro 8.01 with 10.5.2.

I'd rather wait and have Digi get it right.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Hi Admin, great to hear this is coming, but can you answer this?

If native is the future which I believe it is, as well as FF/TV taking a hit they way the music business did as soon as light pipe gets into every home (as we'll see more productions on the net in time), why is it that LE won't run ADC, surround, timecode, render 10X instead of realtime? Surely computers are fast enough for unlimited tracks and if Digi is set with TDM and is making money, what are they afraid of offering these items that I know some full time FOLEY and other would love to have instead of using Nuendo and the likes, when at home? I just wonder what it is that makes this so impossible to do and what "fear factor" Digi has if they are making money on the real POST production houses. The core users of TDM/HD would love you. Especially with the onset of 4 core laptops slated for June/Sept., at least on the MAC side of things.

Thanks
I would love to hear a real answer to musicup's question. The same thing has happened to Avid with Final Cut--Digi, why make the same mistake again?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Avid

Quote:
Hi Admin, great to hear this is coming, but can you answer this?

If native is the future which I believe it is, as well as FF/TV taking a hit they way the music business did as soon as light pipe gets into every home (as we'll see more productions on the net in time), why is it that LE won't run ADC, surround, timecode, render 10X instead of realtime?
Unfortunately I can't answer that - the 'why's' to those particular questions are beyond the scope of what can be covered here. We could ask the same thing of any manufacturer - why doesn't a Ford have all those cool features that the Mercedes has? They just don't - it's meant to meet a price point or fit a particular need or some other reason that the company decides upon.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Avid

Quote:

Hasn't HD got compatibility already though? not trying to add fuel but just curious, is le more complex than HD

secondly does this mean that only your DAE codes need adressing and that your easier to develop ASIO/Core Audio drivers are complient?
To the first question - yes, it's been qualified first and, yes, LE is more complicated in some ways - in this case it's because it's tied much more tightly to OS performance, especially with the firewire and USB protocols.

I'm not quite understanding your second question - can you be more specific about what you're asking?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Hasn't HD got compatibility already though? not trying to add fuel but just curious, is le more complex than HD

secondly does this mean that only your DAE codes need adressing and that your easier to develop ASIO/Core Audio drivers are complient?
To the first question - yes, it's been qualified first and, yes, LE is more complicated in some ways - in this case it's because it's tied much more tightly to OS performance, especially with the firewire and USB protocols.

I'm not quite understanding your second question - can you be more specific about what you're asking?
is pro tools not compatible or the audio driver, i happened to buy logic when i bought the mac and use the core audio driver for logic on my 003, pro tools uses neither correct but DAE instead. are the ASIO and core audio drivers compatible with leopard?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I can't answer that - the 'why's' to those particular questions are beyond the scope of what can be covered here. We could ask the same thing of any manufacturer - why doesn't a Ford have all those cool features that the Mercedes has? They just don't - it's meant to meet a price point or fit a particular need or some other reason that the company decides upon.
Admin, we greatly appreciate your responses, but this comparison is in no way valid:

Ford is not purposefully withholding features that it has already taken the time to develop. The reason a Mercedes is nicer than a Ford is because the 'cool' features in a Mercedes constitute physical parts that are more expensive, and with good reason. I'm sure Ford is trying their best to make the best car they can for the money.

This is a more accurate car-analogy of Digidesign's business model:

Imagine Mercedes sells these two cars:

Mercedes HD - full featured, awesome
Mercedes LE - mostly same exact parts, just certain things have been made to not work (to cripple its usefulness): the windshield wipers have been unplugged, the ABS brakes have been disabled, the car only shifts into 3rd gear (despite having a perfectly functioning 4th gear), one of the doors is not allowed to be opened.

Obviously, Mercedes would never do this, and if they did, the public outcry would be overwhelming. If they spent the money and took the time to put the parts in, why not allow them to work? This is all that is being asked of Digi, and I really feel that that question is entirely reasonable. I realize this analogy is somewhat exaggerated, but in some ways it is completely accurate (i.e. lack of 32+ tracks, no automatic delay compensation, no surround, etc).
Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Well let me add my two cents. These forums are funny as heck.

While everyone has been standing around waiting for protools 7.4.x (vaporware) version, I have been learning logic 8.0 and using it happily on my mac. The previous user that said logic 8 overloads is just blowing steaming up his a**. Anyway, its worked great for me.

I see two options

A) SWITCH PLATFORMS - Viable for some, and not for others. I'm lucky to have a pc that runs protools although its dreaded system optimizations on XP, are horrible. You have to tweak, and tweak, and its a nightmare. 7.4x adds more RAM REQUIREMENTS. Thanks digidesign for your help.

THE REALITY IS 7.4X is a minor point release and not even all that impressive. I haven't even installed the update yet.

B) SWITCH PROGRAMS - Hey that will get DIGIDESIGN'S Attention. Trade that POS Digidesign unit for something real like apogee audio interface. 10x better than any digidesign unit to date. Learn Logic, Cubase, or another. Hey Protools may be a studio standard. But how many people are going into a commercial studio to work on stuff. Even if you do, can't you mix it down to WAV, AIFF, ETC. Of course you can.

C) THIRD OPTION - STOP BUYING DIGIDESIGN PRODUCTS... ( yeah I know that's three options lol) You'll thank yourself in the long run.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Avid

Quote:
Admin, we greatly appreciate your responses, but this comparison is in no way valid:
Point taken. Analogy bad.

What it boils down to is this - we offer X product at X price point with X features. The 'why' is that, just like any company, we price things at a point that we think the consumers will pay, given the competition. We always evaluate where we are in the market and make adjustments as necessary. I'm sure if we find that we're losing market share, we'll adjust.

If and when that happens, though is not my realm. I'm here to support current products and not speculate about what could or should be.

I'm going to have to leave it at that for any further discussion regarding this topic.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:19 PM

I had to upgrade to Leopard for work. I currently make my living in the live side of the business and needed XP for show control apps and smaart, so I wanted to use the native bootcamp that comes with Leopard.

When the upgrade option came for the 003s before Christmas, I jumped on it, but had to go to Leopard at the same time....so I have had a very large and expensive volume control sittin on my desk for almost 3 months...

After reading this thread, I thought I'd try again. Upgraded to 10.5.2 and the new CS upgrade yesterday, removed digirewire.dpm from the plugins folder, and PT launched with no problems....well, until the firmware update for the 003R. 2nd time it came up straight away, and seemed nice and stable as I checked out all my plugins with a track looping from a mastering session I happened to have on my HD. Everything RTAS from massivepack 5 and all the plugs that came with the 003R, including the MPT bundle worked.

2.66GHz C2D MB Pro with an 003R, 10.5.2 and 7.4cs3.

Now I just have to clone myself so I can do all my gigs and my recording projects.....
Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Well let me add my two cents. These forums are funny as heck.

While everyone has been standing around waiting for protools 7.4.x (vaporware) version, I have been learning logic 8.0 and using it happily on my mac. The previous user that said logic 8 overloads is just blowing steaming up his a**. Anyway, its worked great for me.

I see two options

A) SWITCH PLATFORMS - Viable for some, and not for others. I'm lucky to have a pc that runs protools although its dreaded system optimizations on XP, are horrible. You have to tweak, and tweak, and its a nightmare. 7.4x adds more RAM REQUIREMENTS. Thanks digidesign for your help.

THE REALITY IS 7.4X is a minor point release and not even all that impressive. I haven't even installed the update yet.

B) SWITCH PROGRAMS - Hey that will get DIGIDESIGN'S Attention. Trade that POS Digidesign unit for something real like apogee audio interface. 10x better than any digidesign unit to date. Learn Logic, Cubase, or another. Hey Protools may be a studio standard. But how many people are going into a commercial studio to work on stuff. Even if you do, can't you mix it down to WAV, AIFF, ETC. Of course you can.

C) THIRD OPTION - STOP BUYING DIGIDESIGN PRODUCTS... ( yeah I know that's three options lol) You'll thank yourself in the long run.
These forums ARE funny. Interesting that you think I'm blowing steam about CPU overloads - you obviously don't know me. You should make a visit to the Logic forum and tell the 279 users who replied complaining about CPU overloads that THEY'RE blowing smoke up someone's arse. Here is the link. Go see for yourself before you make yourself look even less informed.

CPU Overloads and Logic (19 pages/279 replies):
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....2338&tstart=30

...or the one on slow performance with Logic and 10.5.2 (9 pages, 134 replies):
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....457&tstart=180

Please note the total number of times Apple has responded to any of those posts: 0

I'm glad you're one of the few with no Logic problems. I actually didn't have any myself on 10.4.9 and haven't upgraded to Leopard yet.

If you think PT 7.4 is vaporware, you're kind of a month or two behind everyone else. If you think elastic audio is a "minor upgrade", then you probably should just stick to Logic since it's working for you and PTLE isn't.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Closed Thread