Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2024, 08:18 AM

Default Having trouble switching audio interface in pro tools LE 8

I found an old version of pro tools (LE 8) that works on a simple HP probook laptop windows 10 pro N. Everything works fine, but… I am trying to USB my Roland TR-8 in order to record the drum tracks individually. All the drivers are correct and automatically installed. I’ve read that I should be able to set the TR-8 as the audio interface in order to achieve this. Problem is, everything under the Setup tab is set on MBOX without any pop up for other choices. Is there a way to properly achieve this? OR, OR… is there a work around to record the TR-8 tracks separately?
Thx so much!
Old 01-29-2024, 09:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: Having trouble switching audio interface in pro tools LE 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len E View Post
I found an old version of pro tools (LE 8) that works on a simple HP probook laptop windows 10 pro N. Everything works fine, but… I am trying to USB my Roland TR-8 in order to record the drum tracks individually. All the drivers are correct and automatically installed. I’ve read that I should be able to set the TR-8 as the audio interface in order to achieve this. Problem is, everything under the Setup tab is set on MBOX without any pop up for other choices. Is there a way to properly achieve this? OR, OR… is there a work around to record the TR-8 tracks separately?
Thx so much!
This is probably due to an unsupported Windows version.
Pro Tools LE8 is only supported on Windows XP SP3, Vista* SP2, Windows 7.
You can check https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...tibility-Chart for more info.

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 01-29-2024, 09:36 AM

Thx… if that’s all it is, you just saved me a ton of time.
I’ll let you know if that works
Old 01-29-2024, 10:01 AM

In addition to incompatibility, IIRC, Pro Tools 8 LE only worked with and was authorized by - once you input the DIGI code - a Digidesign interface. So Pro Tools 8 LE won't open with a 3rd party interface.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM

Ok so is there another way to record multi-track from my Roland TR-8?
MIDI maybe?
Old 01-29-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len E View Post
Ok so is there another way to record multi-track from my Roland TR-8?
MIDI maybe?
Yes, in principle, with just about any modern DAW using the Roland USB driver for the TR-8 as an audio interface. Except Roland being Roland, that driver only provides low-end WDM audio support on Windows. And many DAWs prefer ASIO, and Pro Tools is so bad with anything but ASIO ... so I would avoid using Pro Tools here at all.

There are many tutorials easily findable on the Web, especially on YouTube, showing how to do this. Search for tutorials using Reaper, which is one DAW that works OK with multichannel WDM devices. There is no reason to use Pro Tools and certainly not some ~16 year old museumware, which yes has a entirely separate problem of needing an ancient Digidesign/Avid branded interface as a license key. The web is littered with discussions about the TR-8 and folks using ASIO4ALL to try to get the TR-8 to be compatible with ASIO, especially as a beginner do *not* try to do that with Pro Tools.

You can also record MIDI, but then do you want to use the DAW as a sequencer to play MIDI to the TR-8 or do you want to render MIDI coming from the TR-8 through virtual instruments in the DAW? Either way with Pro Tools you really need an ASIO compatible separate audio interface. If you don't have that then do not waste time with Pro Tools. The Mbox Pro 2 is not really supported on Windows 10, but if you have that working then you can try out MIDI with a modern version of Pro Tools, like the free Intro but you will need to find tutorials of how to work with outboard MIDI devices and/or virtual instruments. If all this is new to you, and especially if what you really want to record are the TRS-8 audio sounds, then give up and use Reaper.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-29-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:32 AM

Thx ALL…
I am already in the process of getting a new DAW (no PT) where I shouldn’t have this issue - maybe others, but not this particular one.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
What about a newer, current version of Pro Tools? Then you won’t have that issue.
Pro Tools is a poor choice here.

I would not recommend anybody uses any version of Pro Tools with a WDM interface.