Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 10:46 AM

Default HD -> Accel - Worth it?

I have an HD 3 system - thinking about upgrading to an Accel for the Revibe and more power. Please share your experiences on the upgrade. Is it worth it?

Old 05-21-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: HD -> Accel - Worth it?

bump
Old 05-21-2004, 01:04 PM

I would imagine that by January it could be possible that there might be a new, all Accel system, not a patching together of an HD + Accel as it is now. Digi is always busy creating new versions of their hardware and software -- I'm going to wait for the next express bus on this one.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:26 PM

Great advice. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that by January it could be possible that there might be a new, all Accel system, not a patching together of an HD + Accel as it is now. Digi is always busy creating new versions of their hardware and software -- I'm going to wait for the next express bus on this one.
I have it from a reliable source that there will never be such a thing as an "HD Accel Core Card."
Old 05-21-2004, 02:29 PM

I have it from a reliable source that there will never be such a thing as an "HD Accel Core Card."

[/QUOTE]

That may be true - but a functional upgrade of the main card will come probably sooner than later, if we look to history as a guide (and possibly with a different name). Even the name Accel suggests an upgrade akin to an accelerator card, such as with a CPU board. Most likely Digi will come up with a new and more substantial name for future systems. As with computers, some of us will choose to skip some upgrades, in anticipation of what we think is most likely to become available with the next one -- especially those who have just purchased HD systems (wanting to get a least some value of what they have just purchased, before having to shell out for another upgrade). All this speculation -- I have to get back to work!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:03 AM

I'm sure there will be a PCI-X card in the future. Native systems are getting faster so to keep people interested they have to keep TDM systems a step ahead. In the end this will stop and we'll all go native with Digi I/O breakout boxes but not for a while yet.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Well then their with be a new name for the same thing. How does "HD X Core" sound, Digi will think of something. Sometime soon after the "X Core" card is out the PT software support for the HD core and HD process cards will cease, just like Mix now. I am still waiting for many software improvements and will be very frustrated when that day comes, but it will. Why would the future be any different than the past?
Old 05-22-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well then their with be a new name for the same thing. How does "HD X Core" sound, Digi will think of something. Sometime soon after the "X Core" card is out the PT software support for the HD core and HD process cards will cease, just like Mix now. I am still waiting for many software improvements and will be very frustrated when that day comes, but it will. Why would the future be any different than the past?
Maybe I'm naive but I have to think of it this way:
Strategy, market saturation and profit.
Digi stands to make more on the HD + Accel combo. (two sales over one, ie Accel core).
HDXL will work in a PCI-X slot now, so there is no imminent demand for a PCI-X card.
Consumer demand is not there to develop any higher standards for audio beyond what HDXL can perform now.
Digi is tapping into other markets ie live sound and putting R&D bucks to capture a new market for them.

I believe and hope HDXL will have an even longer shelf life than Mix.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:34 AM

Here's the thing. It sounds like Revibe has finally brought world-class verb into the Pro Tools arena - only on Accel. So I was thinking of the plunge to increase DSP power (although I've yet to run out on HD3) and get the repeatability of a great reverb plug. The other option is buy a PCM 90+ unit and a Vari Mu (hardware versions of the impact plug and revibe) and use the new ADC in 6.4 and just use great hardware. Now that I am writing this out - it seems to me that hardware would be the way to go. Comments are appreciated.