Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Cntrl 24 changing sound of mix?

Just curious.

Could you use this box for 5.1 monitoring or do I have to get a seperate box for that.............ie a Multimax?

thanks,

jeff
Old 12-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Poster: dvillage
Subject: Re: Cntrl 24 changing sound of mix?

Just curious.

Could you use this box for 5.1 monitoring or do I have to get a seperate box for that.............ie a Multimax?

thanks,

jeff

dr sound replies;
Go here:
http://www.mercenary.com/splsumoco.html

That should answer your questions.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:51 PM

Thanks Marti!
Old 12-30-2004, 01:46 AM

So glad to see this discussion!! I bought an HD 2 sys. a couple of months ago and just bought my control 24. I have never developed such a love/hate relationship so quickly. Turned the thing on and was totally amazed, ran audio through it and was completly dismayed. I couldn't belive how bad my main mix sounded from my 192 through the C24, and I figured I would be upgrading in sound quality from my Mackie 8bus. Just wanted to say thanks for the tip about the SPL MTC 2381. Mine will arrive next week.
In a slightly unrelated topic. Why do none of the imputs of the C24 (preamps, line mixer ect.) have an optional send to the main mix bus? It would be nice to be able to monitor something without having the trouble of routing it through PT. It seems the console is unduly modular in design. From what I hear these kinds of inflexible design issues are endemic within digidesign hardware.
I also want to thank DIGI for allowing such a free, if somewhat caustic discourse on its website. It has benifited this end user greatly!!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:45 PM

Ok, what do you think about Presonus Central Station? Does anybody uses it? How does it sound when you compare to the C24 monitor section? What else have you guys tried (recomend) beside SPL?

Thanks, Mozart
Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 AM

We currently use 2 of the presonus central station units - they seem pretty accurate and provide all of the functions of our old large format console monitoring section

We just recently added the C24 and plan to do some critical listening tests in the future - but decided not to utilize the monitor section on the C24 just yet mainly because of negative feedback on this forum.

Will report a comparison at some time in the near future.

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 01-02-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
In your case, if you dont have any outboard A/D D/A then you should either come straight out of the 192 through an NHT (or something similar...but not the Central Station), or go buy a Benchmark DAC-1 Its a killer box for around 900ish. I would recommend the Benchmark if you can swing it.
-S0nguy
I noticed a huge difference bypassing the C24 as well. BUT, I'd have to diagree with you on the Central Station. I find NO difference using it vs going direct from the 192's to a pair of powered Quested 2108's. It has an abundant array of switching possibilities. Just wish it had a mic "out" point. Sonically, it's extremely transparent.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:50 PM

So I finally did a little test. I still havent listened to music thru the mains passing the c24 yet, but will as soon as im done with my current recording project.

So this is what I did:

I set up an aux track with the signal generator on it. I also set up two aux tracks with the waves paz freq. plug in on them. Then I sent the pink noise out of the 192's 1+2 outs. #1 out went thru the c24 back into protools on the #3 input, to the first track with the a freq. plug in. The #2 out went direct (by passing the c24 completely) to the #4 input, to the second track with a freq plug in. The result was basicly identical with the exception of maybe 1 db in a few directions on a couple of freqs. And yes the two tracks with the returns were muted so there was no chance of an audio loop back to the tracks. I do live sound for a living (recording is my hobby) and I ring out rooms/arenas using jbl smaart on a daily basis. It is usual to see that kind of a freq. response change from console to console.

I am def. going to spend the time to listen to my mains with out the c24 just hear it with my own ears, but in my experience with live sound pink noise with an rta of some sort never lies.

Im wondering if there are differnet generations of the monitor section. My c24 is from 2004 what year did you guys purchase yours? The one thing that im sure of thou is the headphone out on my c24 is horrible sounding (very thin sounding).
Big Ben
Control 24
Old 01-26-2005, 08:09 PM

"bump"
Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Cntrl 24 changing sound of mix?

???
If I A/B my mixes, that is, totally by-passing the C24 with my analogue outs of the 192 going direct to my amps, there is no change at all. Not in sound quality, not in clarity or depth.
My amps are QSC plx1602's and my speakers are dynaudio 15's and Quested's.
I haven't listened to the headphones.

I can back this also, with a local mastering engineer who is highly regarded in the world and he loves the C24.

Its got me stumped.