Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: OSX hidden pref to make your own PT\'s QuickKeys!!

OK. What am I doing wrong?
Was able to create shortcuts as indicated. They appear in the Apple Keyboard Shortcuts window but DO NOT appear in ANY of the PT menus. And yes, I typed them exactly as they appear in PT.
Any suggestions?????
Old 06-02-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: OSX hidden pref to make your own PT\'s QuickKey

My shortcut suggestions, and the reason why. If any of these shortcuts are already assigned to something else within Pro Tools, post that I'm stupid.

"Bounce To Disk..." Option + Command + B. Easier than Control + Option + Command + B.

"Hide Pro Tools" Control + Command + H . Same as Adobe Photoshop.

"Hide Others" Option + Command + H . Same as Adobe Photoshop.

"Save Session As..." Option + Command + S . So it is kind of like Bounce To Disk shortcut.

"Preferences" Command + ; . Like Internet Explorer.

My other suggestion is that menu items that open dialog boxes with global options, like Preferences, I/O Setup, Peripherals, Hardware Setup, Playback Engine, etc... should be assigned to Command + Function Keys. Items assigned to these keys should not be things like Change Tempo or Pre-Fader Monitoring or stuff like that. I think Control + F Keys and Option + F Keys are open as well, so we'll have to decide what those go to.

I think we should also decide on what should open Audiosuite plug-ins. I don't know if Control - Command - NumPad Number Keys are assigned already. The assignment of which plug-in goes to which number is totally up to each user, I'm just saying we should close off any of those key combinations to other shortcuts so they are strictly used to open plug-ins.

If I think of anything more, I'll post of course. I also think Digidesign should make this post a sticky in this forum, or once we've agreed on standard, just implement the list of shortcuts into Pro Tools itself. That would be fantastic!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
My shortcut suggestions, and the reason why. If any of these shortcuts are already assigned to something else within Pro Tools, post that I'm stupid.

"Bounce To Disk..." Option + Command + B. Easier than Control + Option + Command + B.
I want it hard enough that I have to think about it, but easier than mousing

Quote:
"Hide Pro Tools" Control + Command + H . Same as Adobe Photoshop.
Don't use photoshop, but it seemed logical

Quote:
"Hide Others" Option + Command + H . Same as Adobe Photoshop.
I use that for copy to send

Quote:
"Save Session As..." Option + Command + S . So it is kind of like Bounce To Disk shortcut.
or anything with 'S' so it's like 'save'

Quote:
"Preferences" Command + ; . Like Internet Explorer.
Don't use IE either

Quote:
My other suggestion is that menu items that open dialog boxes with global options, like Preferences, I/O Setup, Peripherals, Hardware Setup, Playback Engine, etc... should be assigned to Command + Function Keys. Items assigned to these keys should not be things like Change Tempo or Pre-Fader Monitoring or stuff like that. I think Control + F Keys and Option + F Keys are open as well, so we'll have to decide what those go to.
We, I thought this was a personal choice. To much presure to choose for everyone else.
F-keys with single modifiers are global Apple OS quick keys

Quote:
I think we should also decide on what should open Audiosuite plug-ins. I don't know if Control - Command - NumPad Number Keys are assigned already. The assignment of which plug-in goes to which number is totally up to each user, I'm just saying we should close off any of those key combinations to other shortcuts so they are strictly used to open plug-ins.
If you can get audiosuite to pop up, I'll use whatever you use.

Quote:
If I think of anything more, I'll post of course. I also think Digidesign should make this post a sticky in this forum, or once we've agreed on standard, just implement the list of shortcuts into Pro Tools itself. That would be fantastic!
What next. A standard for my trackball?
I think Digi already settled on a standard... It's called Icon.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:04 PM

I have to agree, I don't think we want to force a particular way of customisation (kinda defeates the purpose of the word).

iKey can open audiosuite plugins.. And click on screen fuctions for you (ie: a tab to transient toggle on/off).

It's much cheaper than Quickeys and is capable of so much more than just key commands for menu items. It's not flaky either!! (ala early QK for OSX, which might be better now - but I've moved on since then and don't care to look back).

http://scriptsoftware.com/ikey/
Old 06-03-2004, 07:46 AM

IKey here*****Works great.
AS plug-in's, scroll type, BTD, auto typing (Print not file)....
$20.00
Old 06-03-2004, 11:36 AM

Does anybody know if you can set it to toggle actual preferences on or off? For example, I'm constantly turning on and off "Machine follow Edit Insertion/Scrub" within the preferences. While having a quick key to get the preferences up would be very helpful, a quick key to toggle that preference would be heaven...
Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 PM

Anyone else having any strange problems after creating these custom key commands? Command Focus stops working occasionally, and I have to re-launch Pro Tools to get it back. Also, I just tried to select and delete one region, but after hitting the delete key, it deleted every region on that track. I think I'm going back to using the good old menu.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:43 PM

You could - it would fire up the preferences window, change the tab, click the toggle button and close the preferences. Same shortcut would be the toggle... It's free to try.

Its really just a GUI shortcut thing - it doesn't do anything hidden just what can be done with a mouse and keyboard...
Old 06-03-2004, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know if you can set it to toggle actual preferences on or off? For example, I'm constantly turning on and off "Machine follow Edit Insertion/Scrub" within the preferences. While having a quick key to get the preferences up would be very helpful, a quick key to toggle that preference would be heaven...
Well, that's the N key in commands key focus mode. Gotta use those stickers, man.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:39 PM

As far as the mysterious multi-region deleting across more tracks than selected, I have seen that bug come and go way before I started trying these quick keys.

But so far, I havent seen any odd activity yet. Ill keep checking tho.
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•