Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2023, 05:42 AM

Default Re: GET RID OF ilok ONES AND FOR ALL. please

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclee View Post
how is ilok great if you can't run 2 simultaneous instances of pro tools with same ilok cloud account, even if you own 2 licenses, and it allows you to deposit the licenses in account?

Honestly trying to think of what that situation might be and curious why someone would need run "2 simultaneous instances of pro tools ". Do you mean on 2 different computers at the same time ?

Quote:
and no, different ilok accounts is not an option,
Huh ? of course it's an option https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...ses-activation

Quote:
and no, using a dongle on my MBP is not an option either
Huh ? Except it is in fact also an option, I do it all the time on my M1 Pro MBP

Are you certain what you actually mean isn't , you choose not to use either of those two simple optional solutions

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-13-2023 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:04 AM

2 versions of protools for 2 users, what's there not to understand?
it's a. company, and i need all users in same ilok account, just like adobe does, you assign users and licenses under 1 account,

and you CANNOT run 2 instances of Pro Tools in SAME account of ILOK CLOUD at same time, that is a fact! trust me, well documented,

you can only if one of the 2 people use a physical ilok key, and i have no interest in carrying around a dongle, losing it, or breaking my $4,000 computer. usb port because of it,

remember, just becuase you dont have a need to run 2 instances of PT, doesn't mean there arent many people that need that.

i pay for 2 licenses in same account, i want to run 2 licenses, simple!!!
Old 12-13-2023, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=K Roche;2688829]
Quote:

Honestly curious why someone would need run "2 simultaneous instances of pro tools , is that on 2 different computers ? with one keyboard under the right hand and one under the left ?

Huh ? of course it's an option https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...ses-activation

Huh yes it is of course an option, I do it all the time
no, you do not run 2 versions of pro tools both with ilok cloud, both licenses in same ilok cloud, both at same time, only if you have different ilok cloud names, which i dont want to do for business purposes, this isnt personal licensenses,

avid needs to do what Adobe does, let you assign, however many licenses you have to same number of people, or shall i see. ilok, needs to let you do that
Old 12-13-2023, 06:42 AM

Another +1 for iLok, but only the physical iLok. iLok Cloud is not for me. That being said, I can see why some would want to have multiple cloud sessions per account. I manage 12 seats of PT Ultimate in a single account. We keep things on the same account so we can move plugin licenses around to different studios when needed. So, I agree that iLok Cloud could use some revamping, but I am 100% NOT in favor of Pro Tools getting rid of iLok in general!
Old 12-13-2023, 07:02 AM

I prefer iLok over a dozen different authorization schemes from different vendors, all of which are invasive or obtrusive in their own different way.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclee View Post
2 versions of protools for 2 users, what's there not to understand?
Makes sense but of course you did not mention 2 users And that is why I asked and then edited and removed the keyboard joke

All the rest is just semantics

You kept saying "not an option" when what you actually meant is not an option you personally want to use.
There is a big difference between perfectly viable objective "options" and someones personal preferences and choices.

Because a dongle is a viable "option" and two different accounts is also a viable "option", your not liking/wanting them, does not alter that reality ,, which was my point.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-13-2023, 10:18 AM

I have been using ilok since 2006 and it works perfectly fine for me but it helps if you know how it works

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 12-13-2023, 10:30 AM

I've been very happy with ilok over the years. The addition of TLC has made any failure issues mostly moot.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-13-2023, 09:47 PM

No, it's time to move on from iloks, and license dongles, generally speaking.

Identity based licensing could be the future https://www.10duke.com/blog/what-is-...sed-licensing/

I'd love to just install PT or a plugin, authorize the license once with TouchID on the device, and that's it. Never having to worry about if I brought my laptop to set but forgot my iLok back at home, for example. I have to have an AirTag attached to my damn iLoks just to make absolutely sure I have them when and where I need them.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is by design, one iLok account - one iLok cloud. Move duplicate to another account if you need to use two clouds.
Well the design does not make sense.
I pay for 2
I deposit 2 in same account
Let me use the 2 at same time in the same cloud account
Simple

Else let me , activate it in my computer
As you can many other ilok software