Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation bug in PT11 with AOS plug-ins

So where does it fall apart with the VIs (apologies if you've explained this a thousand times)

Say in SSD, would you route close mic snare to one aux output and the room mic to another, process them differently and then hear the timing is out between them. Just trying to get a handle on your method.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
So where does it fall apart with the VIs (apologies if you've explained this a thousand times)

Say in SSD, would you route close mic snare to one aux output and the room mic to another, process them differently and then hear the timing is out between them. Just trying to get a handle on your method.
Yes, it's the routing so I can do separate or parallel processing that's throwing the timing off.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of a guy that does some routing that is similar to mine, if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvtfwXyuOk0
Not exactly what I'm doing, but close enough to understand what I'm doing.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.

Last edited by Ghost In The Attic; 06-19-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I can see how this issue would most effect EDM when mixing elements from different VIs requiring sample accurate timing. I am working with more of a live feel where the minor discrepancy between two VI's is not an issue, and avoiding Instrument tracks (putting VI's on Audio tracks instead) keeps the multi-outs in sync with each other. As stated, AVID is working on the bug, and people can either deal with the issue in PT11, use PT10 in the mean time or move on.
Tim,

So if i understand you correctly:
You insert VI's on audio tracks in stead of creating instrument tracks?
I didn't know that is possible, does it also accept midi for that channel or do you have to route it?

thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasio View Post
Tim,

So if i understand you correctly:
You insert VI's on audio tracks in stead of creating instrument tracks?
I didn't know that is possible, does it also accept midi for that channel or do you have to route it?

thanks
You can get accurate ADC within a given VI's multi outs by instantiating the VI on an AUDIO track (as apposed to an instrument track) and using aux tracks for the multi-outs. MIDI comes from a separate MIDI track. Keep in mind that this VI (as a whole) will NOT be compensated correctly to OTHER VI tracks, but all Multi-outs for each individual VI will be in sync. Again, for me, the discrepancy between DIFFERENT VI's is not an issue since I'm (generally) not blending these separate VI's.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 PM

This last workaround worked with ezdrummer on pt11. I cannot confirm that the sync is 100% accurate but things certainly don't drift apart. Also, I had all 3 options in "adc for external devices" (preferences/midi tab) unchecked.
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
OS X 10.10.5
PT12.2

Connected Interface : Lynx Hilo (Thunderbolt)
USB3 ports used : All (3 Hard Disks, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Ilok2, Webcam)

HDMI : Monitor connection
Old 06-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
You can get accurate ADC within a given VI's multi outs by instantiating the VI on an AUDIO track (as apposed to an instrument track) and using aux tracks for the multi-outs. MIDI comes from a separate MIDI track. Keep in mind that this VI (as a whole) will NOT be compensated correctly to OTHER VI tracks, but all Multi-outs for each individual VI will be in sync. Again, for me, the discrepancy between DIFFERENT VI's is not an issue since I'm (generally) not blending these separate VI's.
if i understand this thread is addressin' the bug with with VI multi-outs on INST and AUX trax...and the AUX trax havin' effects on 'em. however ADC is compensated correctly on VI multi-outs if INST trax are used for the multi-outs also. i use this method all time...SD on a set of 8, K5 on multi-outs, etc etc. now i'm not includin' AUXes in this scenario...just talkin' proper compensation when everything is on an INST. maybe i'm missin' something here...but i've never 'had' to put VIs on AUDIO trax in order to get proper ADC comp. my question is how do you record MIDI usin' this method?

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
What works for me is this:

AOS instrument on audio track.

Additional instrument outputs routed to auxillary inputs in the normal manner.

MIDI on a MIDI track routed to the VI on the audio track.

On the instrument/audio track, force enable delay compensation by control+command clicking the 'cmp' indicator. It should turn blue.

I've tested this for sync against an audio track (in fact by placing the same click sample on an audio track, phase reversing it and then playing it back with the sample from, in this case, Battery.

They cancel down to about -60dB (which is not as good as PT10, which used to cancel down to the noise floor of the dithered mixer (-138dB)), but the cancellation is consistent regardless of the delay caused by plugins on the aux tracks (across my 8 stereo auxes I used a various numbers of Maxims and Equilibrium (all bands bypassed) in FIR mode with an IR length of 16384- that produces a considerable delay!, but which is still within the compensation range of the delay comp engine.

The technique also works with VEP, which is where I run all my VIs usually.

I havn't been able to make this work with instrument tracks. At all.

See if it works for you.
Thanks, I think this works for me.
I'll bang on it some more.

E
Old 06-20-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
if i understand this thread is addressin' the bug with with VI multi-outs on INST and AUX trax...and the AUX trax havin' effects on 'em. however ADC is compensated correctly on VI multi-outs if INST trax are used for the multi-outs also. i use this method all time...SD on a set of 8, K5 on multi-outs, etc etc. now i'm not includin' AUXes in this scenario...just talkin' proper compensation when everything is on an INST. maybe i'm missin' something here...but i've never 'had' to put VIs on AUDIO trax in order to get proper ADC comp. my question is how do you record MIDI usin' this method?
I can confirm this works, with one important caveat. The MIDI being directed to the instrument has to be on the same instrument track as the returning audio in order for the audio to be properly delay compensated. I'll do my best to explain.

If you had, say, a Kontakt multi with various instruments on different MIDI channels being routed to different outputs, the delay compensation will be correct as long as the MIDI feeding the Piano, say, is on the same instrument track as the returning (piano) audio from Kontakt.

Why wouldn't it be you ask? Well in this scenario it's unlikely as that's kinda the point of instrument tracks in the first place, to keep the MIDI and audio together on the same track.

Where it won't work is where you have a complete drum performance, say, on the the initial instrument track (the one with the instrument actually on it) and various kit components routed out to the other instrument tracks being used as auxes to return different kit instruments/mics as audio. In this case the only correctly delay compensated track will be the one with the MIDI and the instrument on it. If you put different plugin combos on the other tracks, the audio will phase or just be plain out of time.

To answer mykhal's question about how you record MIDI when you have the instrument on an audio track, the answer's simple- on a MIDI track, with it's output directed to the instrument. This is how it was in PT in the days before instrument tracks (and delay compensation, as far as I remember)
Old 06-20-2014, 04:01 AM

For Ghostrider. I picked up a copy of SSD (just the cheap £20 one) to see how it performed and it seems to work fine using the 'Force Delay Compensation' method. Below is a pick of the test setup and a zoom in of the audio with FDC off and on.

Does this differ from the way you use SSD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSD Test.jpg (61.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SSDBounce.jpg (35.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
For Ghostrider. I picked up a copy of SSD (just the cheap £20 one) to see how it performed and it seems to work fine using the 'Force Delay Compensation' method. Below is a pick of the test setup and a zoom in of the audio with FDC off and on.

Does this differ from the way you use SSD?
Yes, it differs a bit.

Take the snare top and snare bottom from SSD's multi-outputs and route them each to an aux track input. Put EQ on each and a gate on the snare bottom. Then route the outputs of both to the input of a stereo snare track aux. Now create another stereo aux for parallel processing (let's call it Squish) and put a compressor, EQ, etc... on it. Create a send on both the snare top and snare bottom and route them to the input of the Squish aux. You now have a clean snare track and a compressed track.

I actually take it a step further and create a stereo Drum aux, then route the combined outputs of the snare top and snare bottom, along with the combined kick in, kick out, rooms, etc... to it. Now I have an unprocessed full kit track and a processed full kit track sitting next to each other. Plus, I can still tweak each drum separately.

I could go into more detail, but I think you get the idea. I end up with very organized and flexible drums that I can manipulate individually or as groups to get precisely what I am after.

Hopes this helps.

Thanks for getting SSD and trying it. I appreciate you taking the time.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.