Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-13-2003, 09:30 AM

Default Protools 6.1 & OsX questions

1. When using round robin allocation in protools 6.1 can I have it NOT automatically write files on certain hard drives other than the system hard drive? In 5.3.1, when round robin is on it writes on every drive connected except the system. I'd like it to just write on the drives I specify. Do they fix this in 6.1?

2. When bouncing to disk in 6.1... If my session is 24bit/96k and I bounce to 44.1k/16bit, does it downsample first THEN dither THEN drop the bits?

3. Does the Reason/Rewire connection work good?

4. Is all the hardware & drives I"m using now compatible?

Thanks for any help... I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the headache!?!
Old 07-13-2003, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Protools 6.1 & OsX questions

Quote:
Originally posted by studio405:
2. When bouncing to disk in 6.1... If my session is 24bit/96k and I bounce to 44.1k/16bit, does it downsample first THEN dither THEN drop the bits?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dithering is a process you use to avoid truncation (what you've called dropping the bits). I do not know the order. If you want control over the process, either keep the bit depth the same and SRC when bouncing, or dither when bouncing then SRC the bounce.
Quote:
. Is all the hardware & drives I"m using now compatible?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That depends on what hardware you are using. The interfaces and cards (excluding SampleCell) are compatible. If you use MIDI and have a MIDI interface that connects to your Mac's serial port, your interface is useless. You will need to acquire a USB MIDI interface. Also if you use AVOption, you are out of luck. You will need to upgrade to AVOption|XL. ATTO SCSI cards are compatible, but I'm not certain about Adaptec. If you use Masterlist CD, you will need to acquire Roxio's Jam.

Hope that covers it.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If you use MIDI and have a MIDI interface that connects to your Mac's serial port, your interface is useless. You will need to acquire a USB MIDI interface.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">See, one thing that totally burns me up is when people just spout stuff out and have not done their homework. If you use MIDI in OS X and want to do it through the serial port on your MAC you can and your interfaces will work as always. Just be sure you get a gport or some other Modem port replacement product and ensure you have the correct drivers installed.

Some people hear something once and never hit the refresh button to see if they need to change their opinion or to see if there are changes. There are MIDI drivers for serial ports in OS X now. There were none when it first came out, but times change. Oh yeah. the refresh button is F5. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2003, 01:23 PM

My HUI worked fine with a G4 port on an MDD G4 in OS9.2, using an old serial Opcode Studio 64 XTC. MIDI setup in OSX recognizes the G4 port, sees a generic Midi interface, but ProTools won't see it. Have to use my USB Fastlane for the HUI. I have downloaded the latest drivers from the Stealth site.

So, Andre, do you actually have a serial MIDI interface working in ProTools with a G4 port or sililiar? What are the particulars?

rcm
Old 07-13-2003, 01:28 PM

Andre neglects the point that Digidesign does not support MIDI over serial ports in Mac OS X. If you call digi tech support and say "I'm using a Studio 5 with a stealth serial port" you will be told that they won't help you (nicely I hope, but that is what they'll say). Sure there may be drivers available, but that doesn't mean they are supported or guaranteed to function (trakbyte's HUI is a good example).

Instead of me pressing the F5 key Andre, you should RT*CD (where CD stands for compatibility documents). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2003, 02:27 PM

Rewire works great with Live 2.1b and Rewire 2.5. Start/stop playback from any of the 3 apps running at the same time, position cursor in any of the 3 apps and it's reflected in the others... I recorded the output of Live in PT and found a 158 samples delay. Only little glitch was midi notes at 1/1/1 in Reason sequencer wouldn't play --but other 1/1/1 notes in Redrum caused no problems. You must leave a countoff measure...
Old 07-13-2003, 04:07 PM

If your most important issue is tech support then by all means buy a USB MIDI device, however, I have had no need to call tech support since attaching my existing pair of Studio 4 devices through the gPort OSX driver. It just works.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:01 PM

Can somebody tell me how to make F5 actually refresh on a MAC?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:31 AM

So how did you guys get 6.1 ?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Technician:
Andre neglects the point that Digidesign does not support MIDI over serial ports in Mac OS X.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The point is he did not ask you what Digi supported, he asked you what worked. If you seriously think that every PT rig is to Digi's specs you are dreamin. If all you give are the responses Digi would give, what good are you? This is a Digidesign USER conference, where we swap ideas on how to get stuff done. If we all wanted Digi's response, we would call digi. We spent the same money you spent and more. We know how to use the phone. If someone actually listened to your response they would think they would have to completely redo their studio with USB midi just to meet Digi's spec - to heck with that -(which if you know anything about business, is their way to push you to their USB Midi product - which by the way still does not work in a Windows envrionment). So if anything, your response was one-sided and incomplete. If you are going to give an opinion here, at the very least give a balanced one (that is if you want to be taken seriously).

My .02 cents. Your agreement is NOT required. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]