Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

Well its a little fizzy sounding, but I can't hear the phasing as in the other clips.
Maybe you can post the last preset so others can check it out?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Avid

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

Are you guys checking Speaker Breakup? It's on the 2nd page of the Cab controls in the hardware, or at the bottom of the Guitar Window in Pro Tools.

Make sure to set that to 0.0 if you don't like the sound.

I have run a series of cancellation tests comparing Firmware 1.0.3 to Firmware 2.0 with exactly the same Rig, and the cancellation is 100% perfect. It is quite likely that speaker breakup is the culprit.

I added a new item to the FAQ about this.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
Are you guys checking Speaker Breakup? It's on the 2nd page of the Cab controls in the hardware, or at the bottom of the Guitar Window in Pro Tools.

Make sure to set that to 0.0 if you don't like the sound.

I have run a series of cancellation tests comparing Firmware 1.0.3 to Firmware 2.0 with exactly the same Rig, and the cancellation is 100% perfect. It is quite likely that speaker breakup is the culprit.

I added a new item to the FAQ about this.
Speaker breakup has been set to 0 on all my clips.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:00 PM

I switched back to firmware 1.3

Plexi is very much better sounding
Less fuzz ( and yes...speakerbreakup was set to 0 in firmware 2.0 )
That's a shame because plexi was the best sim in 11r.

There is still no relay-click on the True-Z ( And I'm confident there was one, perhaps it needed a break-in-period to remove the switching sound) but changing the true-z is a lot more noticable than in 2.0.

If Chris did not change anything about the ampsims, then my guess is .... speakerbreakup at 0 is NOT completely removed.

Time to go to bed now. Happy with my old sound, but I hope it will be solved ( and I hope I can install 2.0 again using the same code, or else it will be 91 euro's down the drain )
Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

I just checked out the "Browntown" patch tonight on my new11rXP and heard the "fizz." After messing around for a couple of minutes I too could not get rid of it UNTIL I changed the mic placement to "off axis" and it completely went away.

Hope this might help some of you.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonb View Post
I switched back to firmware 1.3

I didn't know you can go back to a previous Firmware? What do you do...just reinstall it?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Avid

You can install the old firmware any time you like, but of course you would get none of the new amps, cabs or FX...

To my ear, there is no significant difference between the 'old' Plexi, and the new Plexi with Breakup set to 0.0. I'd ask you to give ERXP a chance before you get rid of it...
P&S Creative Professional
AVID

Last edited by TheChimp; 03-24-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:46 AM

@stvnscot:
did you switch back to 1.03 also, and what's your opinion on the differences ?
I feel it's not plexi alone, my guess would be: breakup=0 is NOT the same as "out" of the signal chain. But...it's just a guess.

@Chris:
The quality of the Plexi was the main reason for me to buy 11R. The added fizz makes it sound more digital. I'm lucky to be able to compare with my Triaxis. The old plexi is more Triaxis lead I green, not digital sounding at all. I really appreciate your effort for the ERXP, and hope you can give us both: the old sound + the expansion. Must be something small.

In the mean time I'm a happy ( but 91 euro's lighter ) 1.03 user.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM

So I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting this yesterday...

The first order of business was to isolate the 11R from everything else in its environment. I unracked it and took it to a bedroom on the other side of the house. I know this room is on a different circuit from my studio. Then I lugged my QSC wedge in there, took a fresh guitar off the wall (stock PRS CU22), grabbed a new guitar cable, and proceeded to rock out with my best VH licks. THIS SOLVED NOTHING. And now another room in my house has been defiled by my feeble attempts to be Eddie.

Back to the studio...

I decided to isolate the cabinet block, so I turned all cabinets off and used Red Wirez IRs hosted in keFIR. The fizzies were still there and phasing and swirling around, but were not as bad as with the 11R cabinets. This tells me the problem is not in the cabinet block by itself. There is something systemic going on.

The only conclusion I can come to is I have digital aliasing compounded by comb filtering or something like that.

Reverting to v1.03...

I reinstalled v1.03. This required uninstalling and reinstalling PTLE (ugh) to get the editor to work right. I can't say the problem is completely gone because I always had some aliasing going on. I think it is normal as I hear it other people's tracks. I normally use an external IR and get surgical with the PEQ in the mix to get rid of as much of it as I can. What I can say is it is much better with the old firmware.

Looks like I'm staying on v1.03 for the forseeable future.

Unless someone from Avid wants me to reinstall v2.0 and ship my 11R to them so they can check it out that is...

I appreciate you guys working so hard on the EXP and I really liked what I heard in the new amps, but unfortunately for me, I just can't use it.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM

I did a test with Eleven RTAS and ERXP (Plexi 100). Speaker breakup off on both and there is a slight difference. The decay on the ERXP has a swirlynes compared to the RTAS. It's far from unusable for me but the decay on the old version i better if I can put it like that.