Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Default Re: NAMM 2011 Countdown - Take It To 11!

I'd settle for a plug n' play foot controller. Imagine how much more popular the 11R would be if it had one in the beginning!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Well 'maddmat' is well, madd and not without a little reason.

A lot of us were expecting a bit of a firmware upgrade late last year which never came to eventuate, basically a bug fix. After that a lot us were hoping that this year - 2011 - we we would finally see some of our most asked for features becoming a reality with the next iteration of the firmware. Ideascale is full of well, ideas, that would make the 11R better. So Avid knows what the working guitarists needs.

Now it "doesn't" appear that that scenario is likely to happen so speculation is all that we have. One opinion is that Avid will announce a new product with the features we have been patiently waiting - read begging - for at some later date. Others have the opinion that we should be damn well happy with what we've got . A good machine at a good price, and I wonder if the Oz price
will soon drop seeing as the US dollar is below ours at the moment

An announcement of any kind is what we really want, outlining the plans, if any, that Avid have for the 11R. So are there any psychics out there willing to put their reputations on the line . Someone to ease maddmatt's pain .
People getting upset at their own expectations and imagination. not a hypothesis or the least little bit of concrete data, when the system in question is still young and new in the market. Some of you need some happy pills or a lead anchor to pull you down into reality.....

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM

I am not sure that Avid needs a new product since the 11R has only been out for about a year or so and it has been stated that the 11r still has a lot of unsed power.

I also think that with Line 6's new release which is an improvement on thier models (not quite an 11R) raising the price would be problematic. Having a firmware upgrade cost like $49 for existing users might be an option, but I probably would not have paid $1300 for the 11r even if it came with all the requested features.

I bought the 11r becuase it was fairly reasonably, priced, came with Pro Tools, and it has great models. Addding a few more models and FX would have made the justification to purchase easier but I don't think I would have paid more. FX's are easy to add in to the 11r, buy a Line 6 M13 or (as in my case) add a GSP1101 to the mix.

I think the key to success (and increased price) for the masses is modeling technology and I do not think we are that much closer to perfection then what is available on the 11r and AxeFX.

I would be more then happy with one modern high gain amp, stereo delay, parametric EQ, and standalone editor. It would be nice to have some more pitch FX and speparate cab routing for the output to amp(s) and XLR's. But truthfully the 11r covers alot of ground with what is already available.

I have 30 days left before mine needs to be returned (I don't plan on returning it) so if they annouce a new unit.....back it goes.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_with_v View Post
I am not sure that Avid needs a new product since the 11R has only been out for about a year or so and it has been stated that the 11r still has a lot of unsed power.
Agreed.

Think about it people. How long would it take from the research & development stage, to the designing stage, and to the production stage would it take to implement a BRAND NEW piece of hardware that the "Eleven Rack 2" would take? There is NO WAY in my opinion that Avid is going to release a new 11R for the next 2 years at least! (for example, how long did it take between the release of the Mbox, the Mbox 2, and the Mbox 3????? And I'm SURE that the Mbox units are no where NEAR as complex as the 11R). Like 'Fly with V' and I have stated, the Eleven Rack is only a little over a year old!

Besides, I'm sure it's taken this long for them to research, model and implement the most popular features that we've all asked for. I wonder just how long DOES it take to model every singe nuance of ONE amp, let alone ALL of the features that have been requested????? I'm sure as hell that it doesn't happen overnight!

My gut says that Avid's announcement at this upcoming NAMM is the firmware release with new features/amp models and such that we've all been waiting for ....and maybe even a foot controller if we're lucky.

But a BRAND NEW Eleven Rack????? Not a chance!

I for one, am patiently optimistic!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
People getting upset at their own expectations and imagination. not a hypothesis or the least little bit of concrete data, when the system in question is still young and new in the market. Some of you need some happy pills or a lead anchor to pull you down into reality.....
Not exactly.

There was a thread and the general gist of the topic at least with my limited understanding and from the participation of Chris and theChimp - Avid Employees no less - was that Avid were going to release a bug-fix before the New year and then a Big update was going to happen this year. I regarded that as concrete until it didn't happen.

The actual 11 rack algorithms are in fact not new, they have been floating around since the 11 plugin - 2008ish if I remember rightly. At around that time people were writing in and surprise, surprise asking for features to be added.

Happy pills - yes, please, I could do with some at the moment, the temperature is above 100F atm and the air-conditioner is just basically blowing air (un-conditioned), it isn't very pleasant. You can fall asleep in front of the conditioner and wake up sweating. So I'll give you a 'hell-yeah' for the happy pills.

As for reality, I have already stated that I reject your reality and substitute my own. Yes, that other reality is far too hot and I can't use the 11R for fear of damage, electrical devices don't tend to operate very well above 36 Celsius, and neither does the operator - and it's hotter than that - and only going to get ever hotter as we reach peregee with the sun over the next couple of days.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Not exactly.

There was a thread and the general gist of the topic at least with my limited understanding and from the participation of Chris and theChimp - Avid Employees no less - was that Avid were going to release a bug-fix before the New year and then a Big update was going to happen this year. I regarded that as concrete until it didn't happen.

The actual 11 rack algorithms are in fact not new, they have been floating around since the 11 plugin - 2008ish if I remember rightly. At around that time people were writing in and surprise, surprise asking for features to be added.

Happy pills - yes, please, I could do with some at the moment, the temperature is above 100F atm and the air-conditioner is just basically blowing
air (un-conditioned), it isn't very pleasant. You can fall asleep in front of the conditioner and wake up sweating. So I'll give you a 'hell-yeah' for the happy pills.

As for reality, I have already stated that I reject your reality and substitute my own. Yes, that other reality is far too hot and I can't use the 11R for fear of damage, electrical devices don't tend to operate very well above 36 Celsius - and it's hotter than that - and only going to get ever hotter as we reach
peregee with the sun over the next couple of days.
I know the algo's are not new, if you look back, I have been using 11 not long after it's release, I just waited around on the rack because I have some nice amps and have API-vintech pre's for my electrics and every mic modeled on 11 except the 409 and u87 and some nice cabs. So to spend the extra money on the rack, I had to be convinced that I could make use of it.

Of course talk of firmware updates is there. They also had a company takeover, major hardware problems that of costed them more money and time than we could guess, and the most important software release in it's history, at least as I know it and I got my first certification in 2001.( Pt 5.1) and all of this has happened in less than a year.

I still don't know of any bugs that need fixed?? Some things people may or may not like, and some quirks in a couple things, but their not bugs. In the short time this hardware has been out I think it has been maintained and had fixes for problems in a pretty quick manner. It just seems everyone is wanting more and more w/o thinking of the logistics of a company of this size and nature. That is the issue IMO.

I would say sorry about the heat, but I am living in the extreme opposite. Below zero (F) at night only in the 20's during the day. Had 3 trucks stuck in the snow at the same time today at work, wife slid off the highway a few days ago in snow and ice, driving around in 4wd, I would love some of that heat!!!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 AM

People its called marketing, and making money. Line 6 introduce new kit every year (almost) that replaces the old stuff, the new HD models all replace the pod family and introduced a new level to guitar players.

Avid will eventually do the same, no point in producing updates that cost the company money to do and then give them to us for free, much better idea is to take all that work stick it in an existing 11R to make sure it all works and then change the orange face plate and call it the Eleven Ultra or Eleven Xtreme and put it in shops and sell it for $1300.

Why am I so pessimistic? Experience, and the fact that Avid never committed themselves to telling the 11R community anything of note, instead they rely on 2 employee's to try and answer our questions without really committing themselves to either the existence of an update with new features OR the future of the 11R.

It may not be want some of you want to hear but unfortunately I do not see any evidence here or at the Avid website to suggest anything different. And any announcement at NAMM will be about a product and not a firmware update.... so draw your own conclusions.....

For me, if I don't see an update by March, the 11R is going on ebay and I will buy an Axe-Fx Ultra, simples
Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt View Post
People its called marketing...For me, if I don't see an update by March, the 11R is going on ebay and I will buy an Axe-Fx Ultra, simples
Your opinion scarily matches my own, I am quite pessimistic at any 'major' updates. Looks like the used market would be a bargain for anyone wanting an eleven...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rhys View Post
Your opinion scarily matches my own, I am quite pessimistic at any 'major' updates. Looks like the used market would be a bargain for anyone wanting an eleven...
Worth Monkey puts the price of an Eleven Rack at $666 you know if the devil likes it that it has to be good

http://worthmonkey.com/

my 003R is only worth about the same, yet it cost about 3 times as much as what i paid for the 11R.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 AM

8 days till NAMM......

M-Audio will be launching a new product.

http://www.m-audio.com/

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio