Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-15-2019, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Protools crashed while recording live show

for all of the above
I am using a strong laptop which somtimes runs a record for hours with no harm.
I also record on waves tracks live but I prefer protools because after my recording I mix on protools which is more comfortable.
what I am trying to say is that there is no 100% sure recording on protools. something might come up.
does anyone agree on that?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If this is your job, I don't know of a single professional live mix/record engineer who isn't running a second/backup recorder. That's just standard procedure for live gigs.

Outside of this, you are running a laptop and laptops have their own issues. Turn off wifi on it. Record to the internal drive not an external drive. Don't run an unqualified operating system.
BScout make a pretty good point here which guarantees 2 things 1) you'll get paid for the gig. 2) You'll get hired again based on your last gig.

Also depending on the desk you are using some of the more later varieties allow recording to a USB port which you can throw a thumb drive into.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Since you say you've had good success recording with Waves Tracks Live - couldn't you just record the tracks with Waves and then import them into Pro Tools where you feel more comfortable mixing?

Sparky
Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 AM

That's Pro Tools.. Always falling over when you least need it to!!

With that system it's probably OS or driver related. With a fast SSD and a good modern computer it should be pretty solid. I've also taken to recording onto the internal SSD on my macbook when doing live work; it seems just a touch more stable..

Or try Nuendo (I'm sure Nuendo Live is much the same). It's pretty much bomb proof, and the pre-record function means that as long as you're armed you've recorded the previous 5 minutes before hitting record, which I find a god-send when you're in a dingy cupboard with no line of sight! There's of course the added pain of having to export back to Pro Tools, but for gigs I just find it gives me peace of mind..
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 AM

You keep saying you have a "strong" computer, but you're running an unqualified OS. You'll need to put it on a qualified OS and make sure there are *zero* background tasks running - you should be able to get this to be a stable system - certainly many of us run rigs that are totally solid and depend on them for stable large-ensemble tracking in critical applications - but as BScout says, if this is mission critical and there are financial/legal implications if something goes wrong, you *better* have a backup. Same has been true of every recording medium for the last 40 years, be it pro tools, analog multi, digital reel-to-reel, etc.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 AM

The issue is sadly Mojave. I have an iMac Pro with 18-cores and 64 GB of ram, and ProTools still gives me CPU Buffer errors after a minute. I’m using 1% of my CPU.

It’s sad because I run a film production business and I needed Mojave for other film related compatibility and this is my trade off. ProTools is mostly unusable for recording (using an Apollo X).

Eagerly waiting for updates, which seem to take longer and longer each year. I’m often raising the flag about the issue on this forum, so I stay fairly quiet anymore. It’s just a bummer that we all pay a subscription that’s supposed to encourage Avid’s ability to stay innovative and provide constant updates - with not many compatibility fixes to show for over the last four months.

I know the case is typically “don’t update your system,” but some of us just have different uses for their computers other than recording. Hoping this gets resolved soon (NAMM) and not on the timeline that was posted a few weeks ago - waiting for Avid to come up with some mid-2019 solution to use GPUs for extra horsepower. It doesn’t make much sense for the short term when modern Macs already have the push.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 AM

I have been using a Pro Tools native system to record live shows over the past 5 years with the same 2012 i7 quad core MacBook pro with Pro Tools 10 then 11 then 12. I have never had a failed recording (fingers still crossed) plus some shows I switch cameras via blackmagic switcher app while pro tools is recording in the background and record video at 1080p 20mbps to the same SSD drive installed in the DVD slot which is why I love the 2012 MBP, it has ports and you can install a SSD in the DVD slot. I don't like recording on the system drive even if its an SSD.
It comes down to not using an OS that is not supported and the fact that you are using a firewire connection with an unsupported driver to add to the problem. You most likely just got a cpu spike or who knows what error. Its one thing to experiment with an OS on your own time but too risky to do it on someones else dime. Its not pro tools or your laptops fault.
I would setup a new boot drive, with High Sierra. and as others have said you should always have a backup recorder, which can be tough when recording off the FOH board and if your mixing monitors from FOH. The way you are doing it off the Avid board there is no simple way for redundancy. You would need to record off a monitor console or bring in a splitter and have a second record system which is usually the main record rig and the better way to record shows with its one set of mic pres. Sometimes I have the FOH engineer do the backup record but I usually try and have my own backup and still have the FOH record as well, like a Madi recorder, JoeCo box, Dante is good as you can have several laptops recording off the same main system, but backups cost money if the band doesn't have the budget then its their risk but its on you to have the main record rig that you know is solid and not mess with unsupported software for a job. It may work one day and not the next.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control