Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Default New PC Build + New Mbox3 = BSOD with avidmbox.sys error

Just built a new PC and purchased an Mbox3 to enhance my Pro Tools 11 experience and hopefully decrease some of the audio issues I've had with my old rig. The build and install went surprisingly smoothly, but then it came time to test out Pro Tools 11 with a session that was created and works on my old rig. As soon as I tried to playback, BSOD with an avidmbox.sys report.

I've clean reinstalled Windows about six times now, trying to get a combination that works, but every time I open a session in PT11 and start playback, BSOD. I've tried installing different driver versions for the Mbox3 and my graphics card, tried swapping in a different graphics card, and also tried installing everything on a different hard drive. Went from installing no additional audio drivers for mobo and Nvidia card, to installing all and disabling. Tried not installing all mobo support features, tried installing all mobo support features.

I wondered if the Mbox might be damaged, but eventually got it to work with my old rig. Does anyone have any ideas? I would love to switch to my new, faster rig permanently, but for now have deadlines that I'll have to hit with my old rig.

Just registered my Mbox -- should I be receiving a free ticket or support for 60 days? I'm running out of ideas regarding what the problem/conflict could be. I'm going to test the RAM next. Avid doesn't offer any support for newly purchased hardware??

Specs of new rig:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel i7-4790K cpu
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 mobo
GeForce GTX 760 video card
Corsair 750W power supply
GSkill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB ram
SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD (also tried using a standard 7200 RPM HDD)

Last edited by haudio; 07-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 AM

Default Re: New PC Build + New Mbox3 = BSOD with avidmbox.sys error

You should receive a free ASC when registering the Mbox, yes.

I don't think it should matter, but have you gone through the Optmization Guides? You should use the 1.1.8 driver from here:http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...d/Mbox-Drivers

You might want to do a memory test, or try installing with only one memory module installed, to see if there is an issue with the RAM.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Hi Joel,

I am using the 1.1.8 driver; thanks for responding. I actually was able to get a support ticket and was on the phone for about 2.5 hours with a guy the other day. No solutions to date. Have most likely ruled out SSD/HDD, video card, and just tested different memory (have the same problem). I'm guessing it's either Windows or the new mobo. Can't find anybody else complaining of an ASRock/Mbox conflict...
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 AM

Ok, glad you were at least able to get a hold of support.

Are you using USB 3 (blue or SS marked) or USB 2 (black) port with your Mbox? If you're using a USB 3 port, can you try a USB 2 and see if it helps?

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 AM

I am now getting this same error message. So massively frustrating.

BASS ~ VIOLA ~ ARRANGEMENTS
With Artists STEVIE WONDER, MOBY, RIHANNA, ESPERANZA SPALDING, RANCID, JOSH GROBAN, ALIEN ANT FARM, ANDY GRAMMER, THE BODEANS, FRANK OCEAN, PAT MASTELOTTO (KING CRIMSON, XTC, THE SUGARCUBES) etc.

E-mail: [email protected]
http://www.reverbnation.com/JAYTERRIEN
http://www.facebook.com/JAYTERRIEN
http://www.twitter.com/JAYTERRIEN
http://www.myspace.com/JAYTERRIEN
http://www.jayterrien.com/home.htm
Old 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM

I strongly suspect there is some sort of bug in the Windows MBox driver itself. In threads on the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash over the years, many suggestions have been made to check configuration, Antivirus etc and eventually the original poster always disappears with no resolution.

Personally I've replicated the crash on two different PCs, one running Windows 7 and the other Windows 10. Both using an MBox 3, with just the 1.1.10 standalone driver installed (and Pro Tools itself not installed), one with no antivirus and the other with just the built-in Windows Defender.

The crash can happen randomly, or sometimes it seems to happen when the computer wakes from Sleep mode. As you say Jay, the crash is marked as being in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\avidmbox.sys. Uninstalling the MBox driver stops the crashes occurring on both the machines I've tested. Reinstalling it, the crashes occur again. They're seemingly random, and infrequent, and something that could be easily missed in Avid's own testing.

The Avid bug reporting page told me to post here and fill out the following info, so:

PC A:
Computer Make and Model
Intel Core i7 860, Radeon 7850, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/1TB Seagate drives
Operating System Version
Windows 7
Installed version of Pro Tools
None. 1.1.10 standalone MBox driver.
Avid Audio Hardware
MBox 3 (standard)
Steps to reproduce the problem
Rarely, random while playing audio. Or occasionally on wake for sleep.

PC B:
Computer Make and Model
Intel Core i7 6700K, Geforce 1080, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 M.2 SSD/250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/1TB Seagate drive
Operating System Version
Windows 10
Installed version of Pro Tools
None. 1.1.10 standalone MBox driver.
Avid Audio Hardware
MBox 3 (standard, different unit to the one )
Steps to reproduce the problem
Rarely, random while playing audio. Or occasionally on wake for sleep.

Here's the actual Windows minidump file from the latest BSOD crash. If people from Avid read these forums, maybe they can send this to a programmer to have a look at: http://www.momentstudio.co.nz/temp/MBox%20crash.zip

I realise not everyone is getting this crash. But I also suspect most of the MBox userbase is on Mac OS rather than Windows. There have been reports of this on and off since at least 2011 so I do hope it has been, or will be, looked into at some point.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM

I see to be avoiding getting the crash at the moment by always unplugging and re-plugging my MBox if it starts up in that flashing-light state as someone else described here. Haven't had a crash since I started doing that a week ago.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM

ok i think i got it, no more BSOD. Go in control panel, mbox, in the mbox control panel click on setup and change the buffer to 512. Now try recording supposed to have no more bsod and pop and crackeling!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:10 PM

Is this the USB Mbox or the firewire Mbox?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 AM

usb mbox 3