Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Fighting faders on a 002 console

Does anyone have a problem with faders that really fight back from moving? On brand new sessions (and old ones) with no automation on tracks the faders just fight and don't slide smoothly at all. But it seems like if I "ground" the unit by touching the screws above or below one of the 8 faders it can free up the faders. Wierd. Anyone know if this is a setting somewhere, or a defective unit?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Avid

Default Re: Fighting faders on a 002 console

This sounds like you have a bad ground in your studio wiring - you should have your wiring checked.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
This sounds like you have a bad ground in your studio wiring - you should have your wiring checked.
Thanks. I checked the outlet with one of those three LED testers and it shows proper wiring. I tried a different AC cord to the 002 and into a few different outlets too. I still have the same issue. When I touch the 002 the faders free up. I tried running a wire from a grounded screw on the 002 to the center screw of an AC outlet and that didn't help (but if I touch that same 002 screw the faders free up.) Now I'm finding if I touch any of my gear, my computer (metal case) or my Furman power supply, the faders free up. So clearly there is something going on, yet the 3 LED tester does show I am properly wired. Would a true earth ground help? If I drive a stake into the ground outside, then connect that up to say my Furman's chassy screw would that help? Hurt? Be dangerous? Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:53 PM

There might be something screwy with your unit, but for a workaround you want to make sure that everything attached to your finger (i.e. you) is providing enough electrical capacitance (it's how these things work - like the "feather touch" snooze buttons on some alarm clocks, etc.). Touching the chassis of the 002 or other metal equipment is probably increasing the capacitance (charge storage) seen by the fader, and thus helps the circuit to better "know" when it's being touched. Make sure the fader caps and your fingers are clean, and that you're touching with bare skin. (And sandwich yourself between some iron plates, maybe with a little dielectric garnish...)

C.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Avid

Quote:
So clearly there is something going on, yet the 3 LED tester does show I am properly wired. Would a true earth ground help? If I drive a stake into the ground outside, then connect that up to say my Furman's chassy screw would that help? Hurt? Be dangerous? Any ideas?
Unfortunately the 3 LED type devices don't show actual ground potential, merely that you have a ground. Most likely your ground potential is too high and doesn't create enough 'difference' for the faders on the 002 to work properly.

On the other hand there actually could be something wrong with the 002's ground. Is there any way you could test it in another location, just to be sure? If it doesn't work elsewhere, then your 002 is probably in need of repair.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Have you done a fader calibration & fdr test? On the Command 8 this is under F1 Utility. On the 002 it should be something similar..
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Have you done a fader calibration & fdr test? On the Command 8 this is under F1 Utility. On the 002 it should be something similar..
Thanks for that info! I tried the calibration and testing for the faders. When untouched, the faders read 0057 or so. If I touch a fader the value jumps all around - up and down so fast I can't even read the value. If I touch the fader and also touch the bottom metal plate of the 002 the value jumps to 0029 (and fader stops fighting).

I tried barefoot, standing, sitting, cleaning the faders, wetting my fingertips... none of that helps. Any other ideas?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So clearly there is something going on, yet the 3 LED tester does show I am properly wired. Would a true earth ground help? If I drive a stake into the ground outside, then connect that up to say my Furman's chassy screw would that help? Hurt? Be dangerous? Any ideas?
Unfortunately the 3 LED type devices don't show actual ground potential, merely that you have a ground. Most likely your ground potential is too high and doesn't create enough 'difference' for the faders on the 002 to work properly.

On the other hand there actually could be something wrong with the 002's ground. Is there any way you could test it in another location, just to be sure? If it doesn't work elsewhere, then your 002 is probably in need of repair.
I don't really have an easy way to try my 002 in another environment (someone else's place with Protools). I did try the calibration and testing utilities for the faders. When untouched, the faders read 0057 or so. If I touch a fader the value jumps all around - up and down so fast I can't even read the value. If I touch the fader and also touch the bottom metal plate of the 002 the value jumps to 0029 (and fader stops fighting).

I tried barefoot, standing, sitting, cleaning the faders, wetting my fingertips... none of that helps.

How can I decrease the ground potential that you mentioned? Any other ideas? All most appreciated!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 PM

You mentioned that you have a Furman. Is this a ballanced power conditoner?
If so, try plugging the power for the OO2 directly into the wall power outlet.