Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 05-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Default Eleven rack I/O

I have the driver and rack editor downloaded... I start pro tools 2018 and select the eleven rack as the I/o... editor is picking up the rack fine pro tools is picking up the rack fine... it won’t let me enable the headphones as an output within pro tools.. it won’t pick up the mic within pro tools. The mic is an option through the input tab though. When I start the editor it’s picking up my mic but the output through the phones is distorted due to the guitar fx... I need pro tools to pic up the dry mic and do output dry as well. It won’t let me select and output as phones through the 11 rack. I’ve read the manual. It seems to integrate fine but I’m missing the puzzle piece that just lets me use it as a mic recording interface and playback interface through pro tools.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Default Eleven rack I/O

Put aside the editor to start with you don't need it. You can do all you need from the front panel.
You don't "enable the headphones". The Eleven Rack headphones are an analog mirror of the Main Output. There is a headphone volume that is separately adjustable. The most common reason for no headphone signal but main monitors out working is the headphone volume is turned down or headphone output muted.
To record the microphone you set the input of a mono audio track to "Mic In".
If you want to process that mic signal through the rig set the rig input to "Mic In" (in the front panel user options, or the editor if you really want) and you then create a mono (or stereo if you want) audio track and set the input of that to "Rig Out L" (or "Rig Out L/R"). If you just want to record the dry mic then you don't record the rig output at all.
The dry mic output signal that you would monitor in the headphones come from Pro Tools outputting to Main Out L/R . i.e. you are software monitoring, and you adjust the mix level in Pro Tools on the mic track, and master fader. And then final level using the headphone volume.
All the names in quotes "" are from memory and may be slightly wrong, but will be obvious when you look.
Start simple, start with creating a stereo audio track and drag a known good MP3 onto that track and press play, get that working correctly out the headphones before doing anything else.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack I/O

so I did everything you said. im getting no playback with the main outputs selected as output through the headphones. when I attempt to use the L rig in the second track it allows but it goes gray in the input area and isn't picking up the mic. in the I/O when it says "embed eleven settings from" it won't let me select eleven rig only mic/guitar for input and main out l/r for output. the eleven rack rig is grayed out in that area and won't let me select like the input on the track allows. the headphone volume isn't muted at least not on the eleven rack and every mute button I can find in pro tools isn't muted either.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bektolio View Post
so I did everything you said. im getting no playback with the main outputs selected as output through the headphones. when I attempt to use the L rig in the second track it allows but it goes gray in the input area and isn't picking up the mic. in the I/O when it says "embed eleven settings from" it won't let me select eleven rig only mic/guitar for input and main out l/r for output. the eleven rack rig is grayed out in that area and won't let me select like the input on the track allows. the headphone volume isn't muted at least not on the eleven rack and every mute button I can find in pro tools isn't muted either.
Try to answer all the questions below, quote this post and reply to each question, one at a time.

What *exactly* have you done? And of the many things I suggested how far did you get? What worked?

Starting with do you have a known good stereo MP3 (or similar) playing back in your headphones? If you can't get that to work. Stop. Don't waste time trying to do anything else.

There is nothing where you select "the main outputs selected as output through the headphones." so I don't follow what you mean by that.

You said you wanted to record the dry mic and I told you how to do that. Does that work? You are now talking about recoding a wet mic though the rig? Why are you mentioning the Rig at all? Yes I mentioned that if you want to record wet, but I thought you only wanted dry. But again, until you have output working doing anyting else is a waste of time.

Sounds like you may not even have the Eleven Rack selected as the Playback Engine. Double check that.

With the correct playback engine selected, open a new empty session, then on each of the Setup>IO>{input, output, and bus} pages press the [Default] button. Did that make the problem you were having with only some of the IO seeming to be there? (items that were greyed out).

Does the Pro Tools transport go into and stay in play (green play icon) and do you see that audio track meters moving?

Do you have monitors connected to the Eleven Rack? Do you hear anything in them?

If you still have problems getting the stereo output track with a prerecorded audio to work then post screenshots of Setup>Playback Engine, Setup>IO>{input, output, and bus} pages and your mix window showing the tracks with input/output sectors visible. The screenshots need to be large enough the text is readable.

---

Do you have experience using Pro Tools? If not you probably need to start by finding some basic tutorials on YouTube once we have the basic stuff working.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 PM

Everything is showing perfect for the eleven rack except for the playback engine and that’s what I figured was the problem. It won’t let me select it as an option. I can at least hear my mic now through the headphones but pro tools won’t pick up on it and im pretty it is because of it not being able to be selected as the playback engine. Everything else is working like when I switch effects it’s showing in the left corner the different effect. How does one make the eleven rack appear in the playback engine?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 PM

You seem to be having some problem listening and off doing your own stuff which may delay you getting this working. Why are you spending time trying to get a signal though the rig to the headphones? Or playing with Rig effects etc? None of that is relevant to solving what is going on here.

The most likely cause of your latest problem with the Eleven Rack not showing up in the playback engine selector is you have hung the Eleven Rack driver by allowing the computer to suspend or sleep while the Eleven Rack is connected and powered on. You can't do that. Reboot your computer and try again.

And if that was the problem - did you do the Pro Tools optimizations after you installed Pro Tools? See the Install guide instructions. Especially the optimization that disables power management... done to help avoid this issue.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 PM

I did all the optimization’s and I believe I figured out the problem. The firmware is listed as N/A and now I can’t seem to find the firmware updater anywhere.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 PM

It’s listed as N/A on the computer but 2.01 on the rig.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:19 PM

I have it figured out now but there’s always gotta be a catch. I’m in general on security and it says “system software from developer avid was blocked from loading” and when I click allow nothing happens and it stays there.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 AM

So after all this... you never even had the driver installed. This is why you need to focus on one thing at a time.

You need to click the locked padlock icon on the general security preference panel. And then enter your password, and then click the "Allow" button. Is that what you are doing. Again. Clear detailed descriptions needed....